Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which wheel do you prefer w Black Paint and Chrome Trim?
Satin Platinum (Darker)
27.85%
Satin Aluminum (Brighter)
72.15%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Black Touring - Satin Plat or Satin Alum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

I see you live in the Bay Area and would be happy to show you my White Touring with Satin Aluminum wheels. Obviously, its a different look with a Black car, but nice to see the wheels in person. I'm completely happy I went with Satin Aluminum wheels and think they'd like awesome on a Black Touring.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 36 Posts

I like the satin AL wheels... a lot! Next to the standard wheels, they’re definitely a step-up in my eyes.
I don’t like chrome though... In fact I spend significant time and funds de-chroming my cars where possible.
With black wheels and black touring package, I thought it was a bit too... sinister/ modern day fad if you will. Plus with the touring I thought I would channel a more classic/ soft? vibe. I had black wheels but have requested a change to the Satin AL ones.
I might be one of those odd ducks that did black touring package with satin AL wheels 😷😆. ymmv.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:37 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback gents! Looks like a 3 to 1 vote for the satin aluminum wheels. This is the way I was leaning so it was good to see these results.

Chris88 - Thanks for the offer! Sending PM.

STG - I went with regular LEDs (not black) over PLDs headlights as they looked lighter on the configurator, hoping to get more contrast as you mentioned.

I also like the 4 led dots when driving. My buddy has a Turbo S w LED and the 4 small lights on each headlight looks fantastic. Do the base lights have this 4 dot look? Will the regular LEDs be enough contrast? Open to anyone who can weigh in.

Thanks again to all who helped and voted!
Old 01-22-2018, 03:03 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

The base xenons also have 4 LED running lights, and many feel, myself included, that they look better than those on the full LED headlights.

Check them out here...

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 01-22-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:06 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Sweet. That does it. Thanks Blue!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:05 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
The base xenons also have 4 LED running lights, and many feel, myself included, that they look better than those on the full LED headlights.

Check them out here...

https://youtu.be/udWQ-djnjUo
I initially had the base xenons ordered but after seeing the running lights on them in another Porsche, I immediately switched back. I MUCH prefer the upgraded, optional LEDs (not in raccoon black, either).
Old 01-23-2018, 05:00 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sat plat is a bit gen 1. EVERYONE had them. Few blacks as it was gloss only.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 101 Posts

I also think the whole point of Touring pack is to have a classy version of the GT3. So silver accents and wheels match that mantra much more.
Blacked out touring looks more like a wingless gt3.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:56 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

y
Originally Posted by Clubber
I also think the whole point of Touring pack is to have a classy version of the GT3. So silver accents and wheels match that mantra much more.
Blacked out touring looks more like a wingless gt3.
Exactly, which is what some of us are looking for. I went back and forth on a lot of different colors and the trim, and at the end of the day I concluded that I should be more concerned about what I like and want to live with a decade or more than with making my car look like some Porsche of yesteryear. I don't think there's any wrong answer here, as the both look really good, but I concluded that making the car look what I felt was good based on my tastes was far more important than worrying about it looking like a 'classic Porsche'. And not that it matters, but the only people who would even know what that 'classic' look is are dyed in the wool Porschefiles anyway. The average person out there is just going to see chrome.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:14 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

OP congrats , the standard wheel which I believe is the shiniest closest to chrome and therefore best match to the chrome window trim would be my eyes pleasure . Just a classy outstanding look on a black build . P's wheel color choice/info on this model run kind of sketchy , didn't vote as standard wasn't a choice .
Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

I'd love to see some great pictures of the standard and Satin Aluminum wheels side-by-side, same light, proper exposure and white balance. Every time I see a GT3 on the road or at a dealer, they have black or platinum wheels. Would love to know which wheel matches the standard aluminum Touring trim best. My guess is they both match just fine. After seeing the 911R wheels so many times, it would be hard to pass them up.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

This is Stain Aluminum. No brainer.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:55 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I really like the look of the black touring with chrome accents. I would lean toward the standard silver rims to match, but any of the non-black colors would work fine.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:03 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
I really like the look of the black touring with chrome accents. I would lean toward the standard silver rims to match, but any of the non-black colors would work fine.
Calling the Touring trim chrome is misleading, as the window trim is not chrome. It's simply a glossy Silver. I'm not even sure the washer nipples, tail pipes, and PORSCHE lettering are even chrome, there simply a shinny Silver. I'm away from my touring for at least another week, so can't verify.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:42 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Didnt vote as for me the std silver wheels are the best option with the silver touring trim.
Satin aluminum is somewhat behind (they are satin, so will not be shiny like the trim, a mismatch to my eyes), with satin platinum a very distant third.

Quick Reply: Black Touring - Satin Plat or Satin Alum?