Sponsored by:

Advice evaluating a 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:23 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 447 Posts
Default Advice evaluating a 991.1 GT3

Hey folks. Seriously considering getting a 15 CPO GT3 with under 10k miles. Aside from PPI to make sure there is no accident or obvious mechanical damage/worn items, what specifically do I need to know to make sure it hasn't been tracked HARD or have engine build issues. Obviously PIWIS can look into the DME for launch modes, number of ignitions in Range 1,2,3 etc, but is there something more specific that you would add to the list? I have read some of the threads here about the .1 having engine problems and Porsche issuing a 10year engine warranty (which is a real bonus IMO).
Appreciate the advice, would be my 3rd Porsche, but first real sports car.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

The fact you are looking at CPO def helps. Not sure a DME report will tell wether a car has been tracked or not but the CPO cert would make sure that it hasn't been (in theory anyway). Make sure brakes are ok are that your car comes with Cup 2 tires. I don't mind a car that has been tracked before as long as it passes inspection. Good luck on your search.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psup4s
The fact you are looking at CPO def helps. Not sure a DME report will tell wether a car has been tracked or not but the CPO cert would make sure that it hasn't been (in theory anyway). Make sure brakes are ok are that your car comes with Cup 2 tires. I don't mind a car that has been tracked before as long as it passes inspection. Good luck on your search.
Good call on the tires. If it doesnt have original Cup 2 (or has brand new ones) it means the original owner probably ate through them. A car with lets say 3,000 miles should not wear through them unless its tracked.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

I would ensure to request/review the car’s service history and note service intervals, any items replaced under warranty and technician notes of customer complaints (e.g., “customer states vibration coming from_____” etc). Then I would check the interior for normal wear and for evidence of harness bar/roll cage (not a big deal if other items check out) and finally check the rotors/brakes (especially if the car is equipped with PCCBs). Other than those, standard pre purchase due diligence applies! Good luck
Old 01-22-2018, 12:10 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 575 Posts

Just have to go and inspect car in person , may be it is me, but cars that are heavily tracked, will look tired and older , as compared to a well cared for car that is never tracked: more wear on the seats , few more scratches here and there, more wear on wheels ETC
Old 01-22-2018, 01:08 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

IMO, these cars are engineered to be driven hard, so a few track days is no big deal. Actually, most track guys take extraordinarily good care of the mechanical parts for good reason.

Here are some track "cheat" codes if you are still worried:
Ask to speak with the original owner.
Check for tire slag on inside of wheel barrels and small black marks on front spoiler and front of rear fenders and a high number of paint flaws on front bumper for age/mileage.
Check brake pads (if they are new or really used, that's a sign)
Have dealer check carbon content of rotors if PCCB.
Check to see if alignment is stock.
Look closely at outer edge of tires for about a 1/2 to 1 inch "glossy" band that looks like extra temperature-related wear.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:42 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
Just have to go and inspect car in person , may be it is me, but cars that are heavily tracked, will look tired and older , as compared to a well cared for car that is never tracked: more wear on the seats , few more scratches here and there, more wear on wheels ETC
Tired and older? I find most cars that are tracked are in great shape, and the owners usually replace things before they wear out and stay on top of everything. Most track owners replace/flush fluids at much shorter intervals, inspect suspension and wear parts more frequently, and have others eyes on their cars more frequently in either alignments, set ups, or tech inspections. Tracking a car isn't some weird boogeyman that you should be afraid of.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:52 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

^^^Agree with the above. Cars that have been tracked are "proven", ie they have undergone a more vigorous test drive.
If the car has PCCB make sure the density measurement has been performed and they are above the wear limit.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:58 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
^^^Agree with the above. Cars that have been tracked are "proven", ie they have undergone a more vigorous test drive.
If the car has PCCB make sure the density measurement has been performed and they are above the wear limit.
These cars are driven hard at least every once in a while whether on the street on on a track. The question I ask myself is: Would I rather have a very attentive owner who changes the oil every track day, has a shop go over everything once or twice a year, and actively replaces wear parts? Or, do I want someone who takes it to red line on back roads yet doesn't do the above?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:22 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI: I traded in a Panamera that had $14,000 in body repair work. Surprised that Porsche dealer sold it CPO.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Quick update. Decided I'm gonna wait on the GT3, as I wasnt too crazy about the 2015's that I am seeing. Gonna get a 991.2 C4 and daily drive it. After lots of reflection I'd really like to get the .2 GT3 (with the 4.0 and manual transmission), so probably best to wait for a while until they start hitting the used market. Hopefully when the GT3 goes turbocharged the prices wont stay out of orbit and I will be able to get one.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Quick update. Decided I'm gonna wait on the GT3, as I wasnt too crazy about the 2015's that I am seeing. Gonna get a 991.2 C4 and daily drive it. After lots of reflection I'd really like to get the .2 GT3 (with the 4.0 and manual transmission), so probably best to wait for a while until they start hitting the used market. Hopefully when the GT3 goes turbocharged the prices wont stay out of orbit and I will be able to get one.
FWIW - I was tracking a GT3 RS and decided to switch to a Radical. That freed up some resources to buy a 991.2 C2S as a DD. So far (about a month in) I can tell you that the 991.2 as a DD is an amazing machine. It's fun, easy and fast to drive. I think you'll love the C4 and unless you planned to track the crap out of the GT3 you're making a better overall decision.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:31 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,151 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Just as a thought...for awhile I had a 2015 4S and a 2015 GT3. I was using 4S as a DD. Oddly I found the GT3 much more comfortable and enjoyable on a daily basis then my 4S. The 4 ways on GT3 with alcantara are perfection. The only drawback to using the GT3 as a DD is that it’s very low, so clearance could be challenging at times. But if I was going to choose between a 991.2 4S and a 2015 CPO GT3, that’s a no brainer...GT3. Both same price, down road GT3 retains its value better if that’s a concern. GT3 package is just amazing, after numerous 911s will not get a non-GT car 911 again...it’s just a big difference, hard to explain until you drive them. Just throwing it out there! Good luck
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Cant get a C4 allocation yet... go figure! Lol..

Quick Reply: Advice evaluating a 991.1 GT3