Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts
Default Ride-along w/Mark Webber in Your GT3

Old 01-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Autonomous is coming no doubt. Though I do find it interesting how each industry and subsequently each OEM in the field is seeing its application.

Personally I see autonomous trains, planes and buses become more widely accepted, followed by autonomous travel units and the "sporting use" of a vehicle being quite different. Eg who uses a horse for transport or pull a plough these days.... So never say never.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

I can not help but to wonder how the "Mark-Webber-function" will handle "coolant spill"-situations: I would probably just keep to the left or right of the coolant - not sure what Mark would do.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Autonomous is coming no doubt. Though I do find it interesting how each industry and subsequently each OEM in the field is seeing its application.

Personally I see autonomous trains, planes and buses become more widely accepted, followed by autonomous travel units and the "sporting use" of a vehicle being quite different. Eg who uses a horse for transport or pull a plough these days.... So never say never.
You've already got Google running a self driving fleet of Taxis and Pheonix. Uber has the Volvos in Pittsburgh, but they still have a safety driver. I first rode in a Google test car 7 years ago and even then the tech was there. They had well over 100,000 miles street driving at that pont.

Apparently (though I've not asked Google to confirm) Volvos safety tech is now Google sourced. Porsche would be foolish to try to self develop, but has already refused to allow Android Auto due to Google's data sharing requirenents.

As someone that uses car services all the time, I would much rather have a autonomous driving option. Would be awesome after traci days to sleep on the way home.
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Ride-along w/Mark Webber in Your GT3