Sponsored by:

Noob Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 03:05 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Guys, look at the photos. The bumper lights are on and the DRL are also on. Simultaneously. I have an entire folder of GT3 photos on my computer and plenty of additional examples. Shamoo, you're saying that on your car you can't get the DRL and bumper lights to be on at the same time?
Haha now I'm confused especially with the photo above.

When I turn on my lights to the 1st click (after Auto), I can see in the reflection of the car in front of me that the 4 "dots" disappear and only the bumper lights turn on. I assumed the halo area turned off.

I'll have to check again tonight and actually get out of the car and look.

Also I just found out I have a rear fog light. :P I knew the switch was there, but didn't know how to activate it. You have to pull on the **** after your headlights are on.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
After all this I'm still a bit confused as to what the point of the bumper lights are with the LED's. Sure... you CAN turn them on but what are they for? The dots and halo are the DRL's and the main beams are the main beams. Why have the bumper lights at all? Are they just vestigial lights from the base 911's that didn't used to have the 4-dot DRL's?
The front turn signals
Old 02-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
The front turn signals
THANK YOU!!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. For the 991.2's either LED or bi-xenons, do the DRLs, bumper light bars, and/or main lamps deactivate when the turn signal is on?

Also, what is your opinion on this on other cars?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 80p
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. For the 991.2's either LED or bi-xenons, do the DRLs, bumper light bars, and/or main lamps deactivate when the turn signal is on?

Also, what is your opinion on this on other cars?
FWIW, opinions are irrelevant. It's not an issue of aesthetics. There are laws about this. The ones that turn off when the signal comes on do so because of the proximity to one another or some such thing. There are regulations governing this.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:52 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I value rule of law just as much as anyone else, but just because something is a regulation doesn't render opinions on it invalid. Laws can be total crap, or at least sometimes can have unintended consequences, and not uncommonly in either case. Discussions on laws matter.

I'm sometimes concerned that disabling one DRL for an adjacent indicating turn light is distracting. Or, that it takes longer than normal to interpret in a split second situation, when split seconds matter. But thats just me, and I wasn't sure if I was way out on a limb with this, so I asked.

Also, it kind of is an aesthetic issue. It makes it look like the car had a stroke... no offense to anyone who's had one.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

That's fair. I just meant to make the point that manufacturers don't do this because they think it looks cool. They do it because they have to.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:50 PM
LakeShow
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess the photos answer my question. Maybe I'm just not communicating clearly, sorry about that. But I'm not asking about the nighttime headlights or brights or any of that. Just if the DRL + bumper lights can be on simultaneously, which it appears they can when the running lights are on. That was the thing I was missing.

Did anyone figure out how to have the bumper lights and the DRLs on at the same time as in this photo? My LED DRLs go off as soon as I turn on the parking lights.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:00 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by LakeShow
Did anyone figure out how to have the bumper lights and the DRLs on at the same time as in this photo? My LED DRLs go off as soon as I turn on the parking lights.
I never figured it out. Maybe it's only for cars in Europe or something.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:24 PM
LakeShow
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I never figured it out. Maybe it's only for cars in Europe or something.
Thanks. You could likely make it work with a diode hack like they did for the 997s. But I'm not gonna test it! Haha.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:06 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Thanks. You could likely make it work with a diode hack like they did for the 997s. But I'm not gonna test it! Haha.
Yeah not gonna bother lol. I see a lot of photos on the web of these cars where both lights are on simultaneously and it just made me wonder. It's gotta be a market-based thing.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:20 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Lightbulb

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1157...-retrofit.html - Yes, it's possible. Follow this thread on how Chris successfully done it. You need to splice wiring or find a competent auto electrician / mechanic to do this. Bumper needs to come off and there is a bit of technical work involved to get it looking the way you want.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:39 PM
ThEnder
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no idea how to have the bumper lights on at the same time as the 4 dots and halo while the car is running, but when you unlock the car in the dark with the lights on auto all of them come on. Just noticed that behavior last night.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:16 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by ThEnder
I have no idea how to have the bumper lights on at the same time as the 4 dots and halo while the car is running, but when you unlock the car in the dark with the lights on auto all of them come on. Just noticed that behavior last night.
Interesting. Maybe in photos that's all we're seeing then.

Quick Reply: Noob Headlight Question