Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Anybody buy or sell a 911R recently? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1042867-anybody-buy-or-sell-a-911r-recently.html)

usctrojanGT3 01-14-2018 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by richk (Post 14730565)
The 918 VIP program created the pricing bubble...its that simple. My buddy bought the R because he likes to have limited production cars. I personally think its a horrible time to sell but its not my car.

I 100% agree with your Rich...the 918 VIP program has created early havoc on the pricing of the .1RS, R, and the GT2RS.

Footsoldier 01-14-2018 04:26 PM

The secondary pricing mark-up for all of these cars is more in UK, with no VIP program...

destaccado 01-14-2018 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 786 (Post 14730366)
that thing is gorgeous. would take that over a GT3T any day, so many special touches.

not saying the GT3T is a bad car at all, just seems more mainstream/less special.

Are there really so many special touches though? If you break it down, I'd say no.

Almost everything can be added via Exclusive at FAR less than the current price delta.

When you're done you've basically got the SMFW, suspension tuning, magnesium roof, carbon fenders, and the different hood vs the upgraded .2 electronics and the upgraded motor. Everything else is an easy Porsche Exclusive add-on and I can say with 100% honesty I don't like some things like the houndstooth because I'm not a fan of the retro look. If someone did like it, they could have had it in their Touring for about 3k. Who knows though; even some of the things I mentioned at the beginning might be doable by Exclusive, I just know I wasn't ambitious enough to ask.

With the 150k leftover in my pocket, the better engine, and the car produced to my specification I'm going to survive.

richk 01-14-2018 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by destaccado (Post 14730733)
Are there really so many special touches though? If you break it down, I'd say no.

Almost everything can be added via Exclusive at FAR less than the current price delta.

When you're done you've basically got the SMFW, suspension tuning, magnesium roof, carbon fenders, and the different hood vs the upgraded .2 electronics and the upgraded motor. Everything else is an easy Porsche Exclusive add-on and I can say with 100% honesty I don't like some things like the houndstooth because I'm not a fan of the retro look. If someone did like it, they could have had it in their Touring for about 3k. Who knows though; even some of the things I mentioned at the beginning might be doable by Exclusive, I just know I wasn't ambitious enough to ask.

With the 150k leftover in my pocket, the better engine, and the car produced to my specification I'm going to survive.

I get it...your not a big fan of the R. I personally think its a very special car and will hold its value over time. Is it a 73RS or an 11RS 4.0...no its not.

WernerE 01-14-2018 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3 (Post 14730544)
You knew that the pricing of the R was ultra inflated when it was trading higher than the 997 4.0 simply because there were only 600 produced (vs 991 of the Rs). I think the R will probably always trade at a premium to MSRP because of being numbered but those premiums will fall to the mid 5 figures.

Edit: Read too fast to catch the intended $50k markup. Sounds about right.

destaccado 01-14-2018 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by richk (Post 14730881)
I get it...your not a big fan of the R. I personally think its a very special car and will hold its value over time. Is it a 73RS or an 11RS 4.0...no its not.

I'm a huge fan of the R at MSRP. Even at a premium in the neighborhood of 50k. There's not many used cars I'd say that about.

ipse dixit 01-14-2018 11:09 PM

As a collectible and as a driver's car, the R is significantly better than the GT3T.

And I say this not being a fan of either.

Buteo 01-14-2018 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJM48 (Post 14729890)
More blasphemy. 5000 highly enjoyable km!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...aef395d91e.jpg

5k km?...3100 miles?

Really does prove my point.

evilfij 01-14-2018 11:37 PM

I love that R. No full leather, no LEDs, no AC/radio. True stripper.

I would love to drive an R to compare to the touring. Of course, I would love to drive my touring (which is in CARB prison).

For the purposes of this thread, I know of an R that sold at $300k, had ~2000 Miles. This was a few months ago and I don’t know the full spec.

usctrojanGT3 01-15-2018 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by evilfij (Post 14731283)
I love that R. No full leather, no LEDs, no AC/radio. True stripper.

I would love to drive an R to compare to the touring. Of course, I would love to drive my touring (which is in CARB prison).

For the purposes of this thread, I know of an R that sold at $300k, had ~2000 Miles. This was a few months ago and I don’t know the full spec.

Interesting, lowest price I've heard but makes sense...heading into the $200s soon.

evilfij 01-15-2018 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3 (Post 14731429)
Interesting, lowest price I've heard but makes sense...heading into the $200s soon.

Just under twice the cost of my touring at $300k!

Jrtaylor9 01-15-2018 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3

I'm not a big fan of it and don't know if I'd even buy in the 200s, but I think low-mile, well-spec'd R's won't touch 2xx's (i think too many buyers in the weeds come out in low 300's). Unless of course whole economy dumping and lots of cars on fire sale. But at that point it's not an R market adjustment thing.

hf1 01-15-2018 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 (Post 14731520)
I'm not a big fan of it and don't know if I'd even buy in the 200s, but I think low-mile, well-spec'd R's won't touch 2xx's (i think too many buyers in the weeds come out in low 300's). Unless of course whole economy dumping and lots of cars on fire sale. But at that point it's not an R market adjustment thing.

Those in the weeds come out in low 300's only because they believe that there are many more in the weeds waiting to come out at 300. When everyone sees that the weeds are much emptier than they thought (and still emptying) the price will come down to low 200's.

Dried-out <1000miles museum pieces are always a crap-shoot. There's a 14yr old 600mile 996.2 gt3 at the marketplace here asking $165k. Why anyone would think they should have an edge in the dried-out museum pieces market (vs the other, more experienced players there) is beyond me.

sechsgang 01-15-2018 10:45 AM

When will you guys understand that no matter how angry you get at all of the R madness and/or pointlessness as per most of your mindsets, it's not going to make up for how many people/collectors think it's a damn cool car with a sweet spot in history? The fact alone there is so much passion against the car (then you guys go...oh no, I don't hate the car at MSRP etc etc I get it) will almost indefinitely keep it in the mind of collectors and even the speculative people again at a certain number set...actually the owners in a sense should thank you for that!

destaccado 01-15-2018 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by sechsgang (Post 14731804)
When will you guys understand that no matter how angry you get at all of the R madness and/or pointlessness as per most of your mindsets, it's not going to make up for how many people/collectors think it's a damn cool car with a sweet spot in history? The fact alone there is so much passion against the car (then you guys go...oh no, I don't hate the car at MSRP etc etc I get it) will almost indefinitely keep it in the mind of collectors and even the speculative people again at a certain number set...actually the owners in a sense should thank you for that!

We must be reading a different thread. No one here claimed the R was pointless or that it wasn't a cool car with a sweet spot in history. I actually don't see much passion here against the car - just some against the gross overvaluation which is rapidly being corrected as anyone that has followed the market can clearly see. I'm also confused why anyone who isn't currently losing money would be angry about the R's value. I see the drop as a good thing because maybe they'll start being driven.