Sponsored by:

Califoia Sales Tax Deduction

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:36 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The advice I am seeing is you can pay taxes in 17 due in 18, but whether the .gov allows it or not, remains to be seen. If somehow you are not paying enough property or income taxes and your sales tax is deductible, more power to you. Most people I know are just front loading state income tax payments.
Not a tax guy and not tax advice, and PS, the AMT changes and rate changes mitigate a lot of the losses in deductions subshooter. I was paying AMT before getting to deduct a penny in property tax for example. And PPS your home state may not have sales tax (it does, it just gets called something else like the registration fee on cars), but it has a terribly high income tax.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:06 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
the AMT changes and rate changes mitigate a lot of the losses in deductions subshooter. I was paying AMT before getting to deduct a penny in property tax for example.
I agree, but only for some income brackets including mine. I've been paying AMT for 9 years and couldn't deduct any property and much of my state income taxes. However, for the example I gave, the $1 million yearly income guy is not paying AMT (most of them anyway - there are many exceptions based on individual circumstances). That is because their tax rate is so high that their tax liability under the normal tax system exceeds that under the AMT tax calculation. Also, recall that the AMT still remains in the new tax law but the exclusion has been raised. It is still going to hammer many. Irregardless, the online calculators take the AMT changes into account. The high income folks living in high taxed states are going to lose.

Originally Posted by evilfij
And PPS your home state may not have sales tax (it does, it just gets called something else like the registration fee on cars), but it has a terribly high income tax.
You are mistaken on a couple points. Delaware has no sales tax on anything. You are referring to the documentation fee on the sale of automobiles which is 4.25% and applies to automobiles only. Still much less than most sales taxes in other states.

Delaware's income taxes are not "terribly high". The highest bracket is 6.6%. There are 16 states (and DC) with higher rates. Property taxes are 1/2 of PA and 1/4th of NJ. The overall tax burden on individuals is 25/50 states. I'm not a fan of Delaware either - it is also extremely mismanaged. I am not defending it.

Sorry OP for the OT but I think you got your answers anyway.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:21 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I am moving to Montana and getting an LLC.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:34 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

My understanding is that the new law prohibits SALT prepayments. Most FL Counties won't accept property tax prepayments anyway.
The only "Solution" appears to be for everyone to become an LLC with their 21% Tax Rates and wide range of Expense deductions.
The rest of us in the "Middle Class" get screwed.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get f@#!ed no matter how you look at it. I just wish they’d use ky.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Sure....but I was only using this example because I had specific knowledge of an individual's financial position in a high tax state. It get's worse the higher up the income bracket you go. Let's take a guy living in CA making over a million a year. Maybe he is itemizing and deducting SALT over 100k? Next year, he can deduct only 10k. A loss of $90k in deductions is not chump change even for him.

He also may own a $2 million+ home. Although he can deduct all of his interest on that home now and into the future (grand fathered), the next owner can only deduct mortgage interest on the first $750k. That is a loss of $50k of interest deductions (assuming 4% interest on a 2 million mortgage). Add that to the $90k of deductions lost already (assuming the new buyer has the same income) and he is going to get screwed on taxes. This will impact property values of expensive property in these states even if only on the margin. There can be no other result.

Obviously, the example above is rough with many assumptions and everyone's situation is different. But use many of the online calculators and they show that high earners in the high taxed states are going to lose. That is why the few republicans remaining in these states voted against the bill in the house.
The prior primary home mortgage interest deduction cap was on $1M of loan balance. For new mortgages, it moves to $750k. So not a massive difference, but still substantial.

Not being able to deduct the 13+% CA state taxes nor the ~1.25% tax on the crazy property prices are huge impacts. The change to the upper brackets won’t come close to offsetting this for most.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:58 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

He also may own a $2 million+ home. Although he can deduct all of his interest on that home now and into the future (grand fathered), the next owner can only deduct mortgage interest on the first $750k. That is a loss of $50k of interest deductions (assuming 4% interest on a 2 million mortgage). Add that to the $90k of deductions lost already (assuming the new buyer has the same income) and he is going to get screwed on taxes. This will impact property values of expensive property in these states even if only on the margin. There can be no other result.

Won't impact property values at all, outside of a very small subset. $1M to $1.5M homes will get hurt; everything else won't be touched. Unfortunately, in markets like coastal LA, this hits the exact people that are supposed to be protected........middle-middle class. To get homes in this value range is typically a long stretch for that family type, yet a necessity if you don't want children in bunkbeds in the master bedroom. $1.5M here gets you a 3 bedroom condo or a complete teardown.

That said, the wealthy in CA get destroyed with SALT repeal.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:00 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can afford finance over 750k on a mortgage, then you are the top 1% income. I highly doubt the average family is financing anything close to 750k, everything will be ok.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:11 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
You get f@#!ed no matter how you look at it. I just wish they’d use ky.

Nah. 95% get a tax reduction. Seriously. Even though I may end up paying a bit more in tax, the stock market boom paid for it 30 times over.
Originally Posted by Mech33

The prior primary home mortgage interest deduction cap was on $1M of loan balance. For new mortgages, it moves to $750k. So not a massive difference, but still substantial.

Not being able to deduct the 13+% CA state taxes nor the ~1.25% tax on the crazy property prices are huge impacts. The change to the upper brackets won’t come close to offsetting this for most.

Thanks. I forgot about that and it does change my example to some degree but I agree that the reduction to the upper income bracket does not offset it in most cases. All the online calculators are showing the same thing.

Originally Posted by mehoff
Won't impact property values at all, outside of a very small subset. $1M to $1.5M homes will get hurt; everything else won't be touched. Unfortunately, in markets like coastal LA, this hits the exact people that are supposed to be protected........middle-middle class. To get homes in this value range is typically a long stretch for that family type, yet a necessity if you don't want children in bunkbeds in the master bedroom. $1.5M here gets you a 3 bedroom condo or a complete teardown.

That said, the wealthy in CA get destroyed with SALT repeal.
I agree....but the average GT3/GT3RS buyer is also a very small subset - probably the same subset. Totally agree with your last statement. It's not just CA either.

Originally Posted by 0to60
If you can afford finance over 750k on a mortgage, then you are the top 1% income. I highly doubt the average family is financing anything close to 750k, everything will be ok.

Well, there are plenty of people with mortgages of 750k that are not in the top 1%. I think that club is around an income of $500k/year. Someone with 400k/ year can easily have a 750k mortgage. BTW - Are the GT3/GT3RS buyers the "average family"? LOL. I disagree with the bolded comment in your second. Everything is going to be more than OK. Watch. We are headed to 4% GDP.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:16 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nah. 95% get a tax reduction. Seriously. Even though I may end up paying a bit more in tax, the stock market boom paid for it 30 times over.

Thanks. I forgot about that and it does change my example to some degree but I agree that the reduction to the upper income bracket does not offset it in most cases. All the online calculators are showing the same thing.

I agree....but the average GT3/GT3RS buyer is also a very small subset - probably the same subset. Totally agree with your last statement. It's not just CA either.

Completely agree with your first statement but are GT3/GT3RS buyers the "average family"? LOL. I disagree with the bolded comment in your second. Everything is going to be more than OK. Watch. We are headed to 4% GDP.
I’’m in the minority on this forum, average income, but I liquidated my 401k to purchase my GT3. Hardly smart at all, but hey I’m having fun.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
That's nice. But I will take Colorado.

Awesome view Rob! Sadly, work keeps me here so I'll have to suffer
Old 12-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Given the $10,000.00 deduction limit mentioned above, one thing you might consider is paying your 2018 property tax payment before the the end of 2017. You'd need to do a little tax number crunching to see if that's an advantage to you.
I believe that the final version of the Tax Reform Bill mooted the option of pre-paying your 2018 State and Local income taxes, in 2017.
But, I believe you are correct about PROPERTY TAXES... and can pre-pay 2018 in 2017... while that tax is still unlimited.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

I see Mt. Diablo in the background.
Gorgeous!

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I don't think it will impact property values much here in CA. The tax in your example is sales tax on an RS. Besides, we have this.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:43 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=subshooter;14686409]

I'm a wealth adviser so totally realize that; many ways to use tax deferred and prefer d investments depending on the person and their needs. Just making statement to bring to light the waste in CA. The problem is in SAC.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Sure....but I was only using this example because I had specific knowledge of an individual's financial position in a high tax state. It get's worse the higher up the income bracket you go. Let's take a guy living in CA making over a million a year. Maybe he is itemizing and deducting SALT over 100k? Next year, he can deduct only 10k. A loss of $90k in deductions is not chump change even for him.

Obviously, the example above is rough with many assumptions and everyone's situation is different. But use many of the online calculators and they show that high earners in the high taxed states are going to lose. That is why the few republicans remaining in these states voted against the bill in the house.
This man knows what he's talking about.
ALL true.... and its clearly going to have an impact on property values in the high cost of living states.

Came across the following article in the Wall Street Journal which lists the highest taxed States, and the income level where the tax starts.

The gist of the article is that Governor's of these high tax states are gonna have to provide some tax relief (via lower taxes) otherwise there will be an exodus of the wealthy.
Of course "wealthy" is all relative. But who would have ever thought that a midwestern state like IOWA would be one of the highest income tax states, where the 8.98% starts for those making roughly $71,000 or more.

That's worse than living in New Jersey where roughly the same state income tax rate doesn't kick in until.... wait for it..... wait for it..... $500,000!

Quick Reply: Califoia Sales Tax Deduction