Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 Xenon/Wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 Xenon/Wheels question

Which wheels option matches the standard Xenons (specifically their silver housings) better, the standard wheels or the satin aluminum ones?

As photos can be deceiving, I would appreciate an answer from someone who has seen the combination in real. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,399 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauss
Which wheels option matches the standard Xenons (specifically their silver housings) better, the standard wheels or the satin aluminum ones?

As photos can be deceiving, I would appreciate an answer from someone who has seen the combination in real. Thanks.
Both wheels would be equal.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:17 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauss

Been obsessing over wheels and headlights lately. IMO as long as you match xenons or LEDs with light wheels, and PDLS xenons or black LEDs with black wheels, you'll be fine. Now, the gray area is with Platinum Satin wheels. Since these have never been an alternative for me, I haven't given it much thought but you'd probably be fine with any headlight combination, and it would come down to paint color.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:20 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I saved the $1200 and went with the standard wheels. I have seen both wheels in person and I think standard looks better as it is smooth and glossy like the lights if that makes any sense. Unfortunately I saw the lights and wheels on different cars so I can’t give you an all in one picture of the differences.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:58 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

So the first PDLS lighting system for $ 770 doesn't make sense with the stock wheels?
Old 12-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,399 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
So the first PDLS lighting system for $ 770 doesn't make sense with the stock wheels?
It is fine
Old 12-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Mc21
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

You would be really hard pressed to tell the difference between the aluminum and standard wheels, definitely not in photos and only in real life at very close examination

Both are a silver color

The aluminum is a little more "pure" almost white-ish as others have said, and has a matte/flat finish when you look closely

The standard silver wheels are shinier, and have a glossy/clear coat finish
Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 PM
DutchGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I'm definitely going with the standard Xenons and based on all the online images I felt the Platinum wheels are a better match to the standard Xenons, so that's my current spec. If someone out there that has the combination standard Xenons with the standard wheels or standard Xenons with Platinum wheels I'd also highly appreciate the feedback. Happy to save $1200 if it turns out that you really don't need the Platinum wheels.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:17 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by DutchGT3
I'm in the same boat. I'm definitely going with the standard Xenons and based on all the online images I felt the Platinum wheels are a better match to the standard Xenons, so that's my current spec. If someone out there that has the combination standard Xenons with the standard wheels or standard Xenons with Platinum wheels I'd also highly appreciate the feedback. Happy to save $1200 if it turns out that you really don't need the Platinum wheels.
It's all subjective and at this price range, as others told me when configuring my spec, just go with what tugs at your heartstrings if you are lucky enough to have a configurable allocation

Platinum is tricky if you are going with the mantra that you should match the wheels to the headlights which I agreed with, so I went with regular LEDs with silver wheels..platinum is literally the grey area lol...what color are you choosing?

Check out the official picture thread for all the combos of .2's from Rennlisters who have taken delivery, it helped me with my spec too
Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 PM
DutchGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
It's all subjective and at this price range, as others told me when configuring my spec, just go with what tugs at your heartstrings if you are lucky enough to have a configurable allocation

Platinum is tricky if you are going with the mantra that you should match the wheels to the headlights which I agreed with, so I went with regular LEDs with silver wheels..platinum is literally the grey area lol...what color are you choosing?

Check out the official picture thread for all the combos of .2's from Rennlisters who have taken delivery, it helped me with my spec too
Mine will be Sapphire Blue. I've seen most of the online pictures and several SBM cars are going with black wheels which is absolutely out for me (just don't like them). For now I'm sticking with the Platinum wheels, but still interested in what other SBM owners with standard Xenons have to say.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:26 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

I recently changed my silver LEDs headlights to standard Xenon headlights (non-PDLS). Didn’t see a reason to spend an extra $2290 for heavier headlights that will not really improve the driving experience, IMO. I have standard wheels to match the Touring aluminum trim. Satin would’ve look just as good, but not $1200 better.
I’d rather spend that towards an exhaust or extra wheel set.
I think standard xenon with PDLS look best with the platinum wheels. And of course, black LED with black wheels.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:38 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
It is fine
That's a no-no IMHO because PDLS is black and your wheels would be light! But that's just one idiot's opinion.

Go PDLS with black wheels.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:44 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

I'm in love with the base xenons if you're intention is more of a classic look. Sharp on a white car.

Although the PDLS option looks nice too.
Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2017, 03:44 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Part of my morning routine is to have coffee and read GT3 reviews online while I am eagerly waiting for mine to arrive - came across the C&D review which had a SBM .2 with Platinum wheels

Check out the image gallery - that car was spec'd with Black LED

https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-g...view-gallery#7

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Xenon/Wheels question