Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to purchase lower optioned 2018 GT3. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017 | 10:50 AM
shamoo
Instructor

Default Ready to purchase lower optioned 2018 GT3. Thoughts?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger at one of my local dealers on a 2018 GT3. It has a relatively low MSRP in the mid $160s. Oh, and it is a manual.

My main wants are (which this has):
P11 - Full buckets
474 - Front axle lift
EKH - Carbon interior package
X69 - Door sills in carbon
QR5 - Sport Chrono
...and a few other small things like satin wheels, silver belts, and a fire extinguisher :P

It is low optioned, so missing a few things. But given the rarity of GT3s now, I'm wondering what everyone else's thoughts are if I don't have the following (which I would like).

LED headlights (it has the Xenon)
Extended range tank
Bose/Burmeister sound system
I thought all 2017s and up have Apple Carplay, but I didn't notice it. Also the 2018 Turbo I test drove didn't have it either.
Voice control? I have navigation, but it doesn't mention it.
Painted side skirts...pricey option, I could probably have it done at body shop for cheaper?

Anything else folks feel are absolutely necessary on the new GT3s that are missing on this?

Thanks for the insight. Probably will pick it up this weekend if things look good.
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:01 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Extended range tank would have been nice. Especially at only $140. Only other thing it is missing on my list is is the autodim.
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:02 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

All GT3's come with Apple Carplay. Not having the LED's and Bose is no big deal. Not having the extended range tank is a bummer because it's such a low cost option and is really nice, especially for track days.

Is the ADM excessive? If not and you're comfortable, go for it.

What color by the way?
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:04 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Full leather (Y/N)?
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:06 AM
shamoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by evilfij
Extended range tank would have been nice. Especially at only $140. Only other thing it is missing on my list is is the autodim.
I would have liked it, not sure why it didn't come equipped since such a low priced option. Sadly I don't have a choice as the car is already there.

Originally Posted by manitou202
All GT3's come with Apple Carplay. Not having the LED's and Bose is no big deal. Not having the extended range tank is a bummer because it's such a low cost option and is really nice, especially for track days.

Is the ADM excessive? If not and you're comfortable, go for it.

What color by the way?
Thanks for the confirmation on the Carplay, that makes me happy. The ADM was in the low 20s, which I got down from 40-50. From what I'm hearing, dealers in my area call around regularly to find out what others are selling them for and price the ADM in line with those. I don't want to mention the color just yet sorry. Just in case someone snatches it up before I do in the next few days. All the dealers around me are selling them like crazy. I would call and go see the car, 3 days later...gone.
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:07 AM
shamoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by silverrules
Full leather (Y/N)?
It has the standard alcantara leather/black. I do wish it had more on the dash, but even if it did, it may have priced it out of my budget since I'm already stretching.
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:07 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

I would go for the Dashboard in leather. Stitching in red may look nice, but depends on the exterior color. You may consider red seat belts, if you go with the red stitching. Alcantara sun visors look much nicer than the plastic ones, given that the ceiling is also Alcantara. Smokers package is advisable (closes the gap in the center console). I think the extended tank is useful and does not cost much.

Bose: For me a yes, but I will have a Touring, without much track use. Burmester is not available.
LED: Would not necessarily spec this; however this is part of the "Swiss package", so I will have it anyway.
Painted side skirts: Rather no, makes car look "heavy"; can get scratched easily.
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:13 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shamoo
I'm about ready to pull the trigger at one of my local dealers on a 2018 GT3. It has a relatively low MSRP in the mid $160s. Oh, and it is a manual.

My main wants are (which this has):
P11 - Full buckets
474 - Front axle lift
EKH - Carbon interior package
X69 - Door sills in carbon
QR5 - Sport Chrono
...and a few other small things like satin wheels, silver belts, and a fire extinguisher :P

It is low optioned, so missing a few things. But given the rarity of GT3s now, I'm wondering what everyone else's thoughts are if I don't have the following (which I would like).

LED headlights (it has the Xenon)
Extended range tank
Bose/Burmeister sound system
I thought all 2017s and up have Apple Carplay, but I didn't notice it. Also the 2018 Turbo I test drove didn't have it either.
Voice control? I have navigation, but it doesn't mention it.
Painted side skirts...pricey option, I could probably have it done at body shop for cheaper?

Anything else folks feel are absolutely necessary on the new GT3s that are missing on this?
Thanks for the insight. Probably will pick it up this weekend if things look good.
I didn't get voice control on mine, don't think it was an option when I spec'd. Not a big deal imo. All of my cars have it but I never use it. Painted side skirts don't fit the car because of the black trim on the front and rear. The only options this car really needs are full leather and extended tank.
Must have options for me and many on this forum:
Extended fuel tank
Full leather
Buckets
Lift

Not sure why someone would spec cf package and door sills but not full leather. The full leather makes a bigger difference and more value for the money.
If you can get the car at msrp and are ok with the options list then do it. If it is over msrp, I would say no. Silly to spend 3k on some plastic cf and not full leather and extended fuel tank.
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:15 AM
shamoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by spydersmiley
I would go for the Dashboard in leather. Stitching in red may look nice, but depends on the exterior color. You may consider red seat belts, if you go with the red stitching. Alcantara sun visors look much nicer than the plastic ones, given that the ceiling is also Alcantara. Smokers package is advisable (closes the gap in the center console). I think the extended tank is useful and does not cost much.

Bose: For me a yes, but I will have a Touring, without much track use. Burmester is not available.
LED: Would not necessarily spec this; however this is part of the "Swiss package", so I will have it anyway.
Painted side skirts: Rather no, makes car look "heavy"; can get scratched easily.
Thanks. Sadly this is a car already ready to go in the showroom, so no choice for me.

Browsing around, it seems more people than not like the extended leather option. Again, sadly it isn't something I can add on my own at a later date. The belts I can probably do on my own and maybe buy some alcantara visors.

Interesting viewpoint on the side skirts.
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:20 AM
shamoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by drdonger
I didn't get voice control on mine, don't think it was an option when I spec'd. Not a big deal imo. All of my cars have it but I never use it. Painted side skirts don't fit the car because of the black trim on the front and rear. The only options this car really needs are full leather and extended tank.
Must have options for me and many on this forum:
Extended fuel tank
Full leather
Buckets
Lift

Not sure why someone would spec cf package and door sills but not full leather. The full leather makes a bigger difference and more value for the money.
If you can get the car at msrp and are ok with the options list then do it. If it is over msrp, I would say no. Silly to spend 3k on some plastic cf and not full leather and extended fuel tank.
I've been calling dealers all over the county for several months, and even tried working with friends in the car business and nobody can get me anything for close to MSRP. This is my first Porsche purchase, and even though I've been a "car guy" for almost 40 years and know a lot of people...I guess I still don't know the "right people" haha.

My original intention was a Turbo/Turbo S, but in the end it all ends up to be around the same price (taxes really get ya :P ). So I figure why not go for the car that may hold resale better.

So yes, mine will have lift and buckets, but not full leather and extended. Not too bad right? I agree with you on the silly door pieces in carbon. Wonder if this was specced by someone and they backed out.
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:20 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

I agree that the interior is weird. Most people would spec full leather before cf interior package and door sills in cf. The doors will not even have cf in the spec
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:25 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Just saw that the car has silver belts, which may look quite nice! What's the exterior color?
Old 12-01-2017 | 11:31 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

when I bought my .1 GT3 I was in the same position, but my missing feature was LWB seats, I was still happy every day I drove the car even on track with the downside of the 4-way seats. although the extended range tank is a disappointment it would not stop me buying the car.
Old 12-04-2017 | 12:42 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Well here's an update from my end...

I got it. I get it delivered this coming Saturday to my home. I had them put on the full frontal clear bra.

Original choice was the Miami Blue manual with minimal options as I mentioned above. Spoke to the sales person and finalized the deal and said I would be in Saturday to bring the check and sign the paperwork. Friday night I was obviously on YouTube/Rennlist/6Speed trying to start learning about my new car. During my browsing, I found out the dealer got a white one in that night.

Showed up Saturday morning and asked to see the white one. It was being prepped for some black tie event that night. It didn't have the special color option or the carbon bucket seats, yet was a little higher in MSRP which means it had more options. Looking it over, it had many of the things I wanted (LED headlights, extended tank, full leather, red stitching, etc) so I decided to go with that one last minute. PDK, no Bose, and no Sport Chrono.

Pretty excited!!
Old 12-04-2017 | 12:55 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Congrats!
Seems strange though - a dealer has two GT3's that weren't already spoken for? Must be one of the high-ADM dealers.

Quick Reply: Ready to purchase lower optioned 2018 GT3. Thoughts?