Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking build advice for my dream car: my GT3 (First GT Car)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34
n

i would have to disagree about the pedals. The aluminium ones look cheap and nasty to me. So personal preference really.
i like the black and silver looking ones a lot.
I'm all for opinions, but you guys are nuts.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:52 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

12/2/17 update - thanks for everyone chiming in (again), it's appreciated

Looks like I am adding PCCB and Sport Chrono (that is one expensive clock) and my build is just about done. I'll edit my original post/thread with the latest build and Porsche code.

PCCB I am getting just because I really wanted them when it boiled down to it. Sport Chrono is just because of the clock, I am used to having it on my C4 and maybe this is a case of I'd rather have it and not need it, than want it and not have it....

Originally Posted by Drifting
Regarding the 4 way sport seats. FYI, unless your dealer has a GT3 or GTS in stock, the 4 ways will be hard to find for a test. 99% of all 911 Carreras or 911 turbos are speced with 14way or 18 way seats. 4 ways only seen in GT3 and GTS. If your dealer doesn’t have one of those in stock, I’d see if a local rennlister will let you sit in their seats.

I also prefer the 4 ways over 18 and find them more comfortable than the 18way. Plus saving 30lbs of weight and $2600 is nice too.
I had the chance to sit in the 18 ways and 4 ways briefly at my local dealership, there were 4 way sport seats plus in a 718 Cayman (so not sure if exactly the same, my SA said so) and I got to sit in 18 ways in a customer's .2 GT3 The GT3 looked so good, I didn't want to get out of the car...

The 4 ways I sat in were really comfortable so I am fine with that. Plus I have 14 ways on my C4, and I never use the adjustments once I found a comfortable enough configuration, so the weight and cost savings are good with me

Originally Posted by disden
Agree 100%. Just picked up my .2GT3 specced with the 4 ways, they are so comfy. Had them in my 991.1 GT3, loved them.

To OP, if it was my car and looking at a budget, I would do the minimum:
1. full leather- massive improvement
2. 4 ways - they rock
3. PDLS, dump LEDs and save $2000

rest is just personal preference. Cant go wrong with even a stripped down GT3. Let us know.
Congrats on your .2 GT3, I saw your build thread Awesome looking car.

I am skipping leather (I have standard interior on my .2 C4 and I am plenty fine with it, plus I like the durability of the fake leather and whatever standard trim material they use), and gotta have the LEDs. For me I just much prefer the halo look to the PDLS or standard xenon lights. Going with 4 ways

These cars are so cool because there are infinite ways to customize and configure your car to your taste. Just bought a Toyota Highlander and I don't think I could have selected a single option other than exterior paint and interior color...

Originally Posted by Money2536
My absolute favorite option that my RS now doesn't have are the Aluminum pedal option. They look amazing and are super grippy. I'd ditch the Auto Dimming mirror option and add the pedals.
Hehe I'm with the others, prefer the standard silver and black pedals...
Originally Posted by karter34
n

i would have to disagree about the pedals. The aluminium ones look cheap and nasty to me. So personal preference really.
i like the black and silver looking ones a lot.
Yep same for me my friend

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Wow lots of good info here and I think some people think these posts are unnecessary but I have learned through you some cool things:
Get the PLDS instead of wasting $2000 on the LED lights with the PDLS. The 4 Way above all else (I have the 18 ways in my 50th and was going to get them again) including the buckets
That right there gets me PCCBs. ignore the carbon fiber bits which I had on my first GT3, That was another couple thousand I was looking at, that gets me full leather.
As far as the AL pedals go I have them in the 50th and I agree they look cheap. Ignore the dimming mirrors and rain sensors I have them in my 911 and my X5M and they are annoying.
Front axel lift is a necessity. The only thing I dont know about is the tranny. I love the PDK but I have run into so many people while selling my 997.2 and my 50th who would buy the car
IMMEDIATELY if it was a stick, it makes me wonder if I wont go through that AGAIN with this but I dont plan on selling this one.
Going with LEDs and it looks like going with 4 ways and PCCB I think I am doing the lift as well, and PDK is a must for me. I just love that transmission, rowing through the gears myself would be fun but I worry the novelty would wear off for me personally in daily driving situations and I just can't stop smiling instantly changing the gears in manual mode on my PDK up or down. I'm passing on the dimming mirrors and rain sensors too. I have them on my C4 and I agree it can be annoying in regards to the rain sensor - sometimes it doesn't match the "swiping frequency" with the amount of rain coming down so I revert to manually setting it most of the time anyways.

Originally Posted by Drifting
Oldguy,

what about the dimming mirrors/rain sensor did you find annoying on your 911?

I didn’t order the dimming mirrors on my .1 GT3, and with my windows tinted I’ve done ok, but a few times I wish I had dimming mirrors, and I’m considering them for my .2 GT3.
How well does the rain sensor work? That could be annoying. I’d rather control the wipers manually.
Exactly IMO - A lot of times the rain sensor on my C4 just doesn't match the right "swiping" frequency with the amount of rain, so I realized I was always manually setting the wipers anyways. I'll pass on the $700 option.

Originally Posted by evilfij
You can still control the wipers manually.
Yep
Old 12-02-2017, 04:59 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alcantara sun visors ... I would suggest they are a MUST.
You can remove the dodgey USA safety decal.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:04 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

would also reiterate the importance of the full leather, and do the leather steering column too, for the minor price increase. It greatly changes the aesthetics and "quality" of the interior. You're already spending 150+....don't cut corners!
Old 12-02-2017, 06:27 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Default aluminum pedals

The aluminum stock pedals just don't seem to fit the car right to my eye, too toy like, for lack of a better description.....they look like they belong in a smaller car, i.e. a mini cooper.....aftermarket might be better option, but base pedals look better than aluminum......
Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 640 Posts

Agree that base pedals look much better than aluminum.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Drifting in Idaho we get real light off and on rain alot. We dont get real downpours a lot and when we do its easy to see on the radar based on the mountain range around here and I usually
leave the golf course. It always seems like the sensors are abit more sensitive than I am and then if it does get harder they DON'T come on when I want. This is both the BMW and the Porsche.
Seems like I am STILL figiting with the lever anyway. thats all I am saying.
I'm still torn about the trannys. I loved the silky manual in my 997 GT3 but I love the sound of the PDK and the GT3 has the PDK/sport. I dont think I want to
give up a half a second in speed tho. Its already easy to get your butt kicked in a GT3 if youre not paying attention in a manual and let the revs drop and some
M3 comes by and drops the hammer. The PDK takes care of that for you. That would happen alot cruising down the freeway in SoCal in both the 996 and the 997 GT3.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

AC delete ?

Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
would also reiterate the importance of the full leather, and do the leather steering column too, for the minor price increase. It greatly changes the aesthetics and "quality" of the interior. You're already spending 150+....don't cut corners!
Agree 100%. This is a must do for a car that will not be tracked. The base interior in current gen 991 is simply awful. I known you don't mind it in your current car, but please seek out some cars that have the upgrade and compare. If you are going to spring for PCCBs and LEDs, don't skimp on the interior bits that you actually have to sit in daily and look at.

If this car was a track bound stripper, then by all means skip the leather. But otherwise, please for all that is holy in this world, get the upgraded leather interior!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:57 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Iwould also recommend leather interior 100% and would put it on the must have list. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND reconsidering. I would also add the steering column in leather. Oh and if you are getting the 4 ways remember that the back of the seat will be the plastic silver. It works nicely on silver cars, you can get away with it but otherwise I would go leather backs to complete the look. Of course I would also spec manual and LWBS.

Keep in mind that after delivery you will spend about 10 seconds wondering if you got the right interior or not regardless of what you choose. After that it will only be the performance specs that you think about so don overthink it too much. BUT AGAIN GET THE LEATHER!
Old 12-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

I don’t care about the auto wipers, but I wouldn’t order a car without auto-dimming rearview and side mirrors if you drive at night.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:49 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

THanks again everyone for the help and comments/opinions, fun to read them and get different perspectives so it is as always appreciated

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
AC delete ?

Haha. In Hawaii that sounds honestly like hell, even taking the car to the Bay Area next year I need the AC as I know how warm it can get in the Peninsula during the Summer times. Actually I am one of those people that even if I was in Northern parts of Canada or in Arctic-like environments, I would want AC probably lol.

Originally Posted by disden
Agree 100%. This is a must do for a car that will not be tracked. The base interior in current gen 991 is simply awful. I known you don't mind it in your current car, but please seek out some cars that have the upgrade and compare. If you are going to spring for PCCBs and LEDs, don't skimp on the interior bits that you actually have to sit in daily and look at.

If this car was a track bound stripper, then by all means skip the leather. But otherwise, please for all that is holy in this world, get the upgraded leather interior!
I think this is one of those instances where ignorance is bliss (lol), since I don't think I've ever owned a car that had actual leather in it (maybe my older Lexus RX350 had it). My C300 had MB-tex (fake leather), and my C4 has the standard interior (fake leather), and I've been very very happy with both as they can take a beating and still look good as new which is important to me. I've sat in some fully kitted out 911s in my local dealership and seen the full leather which is nice, but it's not a necessity for me especially for a performance variant of the 911 if that makes sense... but I am considering it. This is a slippery slope guys....!!

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Iwould also recommend leather interior 100% and would put it on the must have list. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND reconsidering. I would also add the steering column in leather. Oh and if you are getting the 4 ways remember that the back of the seat will be the plastic silver. It works nicely on silver cars, you can get away with it but otherwise I would go leather backs to complete the look. Of course I would also spec manual and LWBS.

Keep in mind that after delivery you will spend about 10 seconds wondering if you got the right interior or not regardless of what you choose. After that it will only be the performance specs that you think about so don overthink it too much. BUT AGAIN GET THE LEATHER!
Hehe I definitely see the allure with the GT3 for 6 speed and LWBS, I feel almost guilty for not picking those options but my heart has been set on my spec since the 991.1 GT3 was released, so it's had 4 years to percolate. Part of me wants to do the full alcantara/Carmine Red/Black wheels/LWBS track build and fully leverage just how different a GT3 can be (imagining seeing something like this on the freeway I'd soil myself) - but this will be my only car for the most part to handle all driving duties, not just a weekend car for me and I am a more understated guy myself (yes I know this beast has a giant wing lol - and I love it!). I also just don't have the attachment to the manual transmission that many here do have since I didn't grow up with one and I absolutely love my PDK box. It really is just a marvel how you can instantly shift up or down with the flick of a finger and make the engine sing - plus auto mode for daily driving duties which this car will see. LWBS - getting in and out just was too much of a pain - and what was the final nail in the coffin actually is how the .2's have the silver or red stripe on the alcantara insert which I just didn't find appealing. The silver seat backs will go great with the aluminum door sills/silver door handles/silver wheels on my GT Silver build I think, and it's free so I'm happy

In regards to leather I'm considering it, it's not too much more to add in. I actually don't like the added alcantara to the bottom side interior trim pieces, and the leather on the top dash/door parts has me questioning its longevity since I worry those parts will see dust/scratches/wear and tear over time that will be harder to maintain. The standard interior is so easy to clean because I just take a slightly damp cloth and run it over the plastic-like trim and good as new. I've never had real leather in a car and don't know if it is essential for a GT-car, but as I said to disden I'm thinking about it. Just for me personally it's not as critical to me as PCCB or LEDs are (I am likely a minority in this regard heh)..

Originally Posted by Mech33
I don’t care about the auto wipers, but I wouldn’t order a car without auto-dimming rearview and side mirrors if you drive at night.
Hmmm this is good food for thought.

----

Also - I was looking to try and find a real life photo of my spec (or as close as possible) just to confirm that I want the understated full "silver" look for a "wolf in sheeps clothing" kind of deal as I have this very special opportunity to build my own Porsche for the first time, and I found this on the Pistonheads' forum from one of the members (credit goes to him).....sweet mother of God I am in love!!!!!! *sniff* she's beautiful (It has the black LEDs and black handles which I am not doing..I think)

Old 12-03-2017, 06:58 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

you want to be sitting on Kalanianeole looking at a plastic dash???? If you don't order the dash for you, do it for when you resell it. Care is the same, damp cloth, and you're good.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 640 Posts

LOL

If the man doesn’t care about full leather, let him be. There are quite a few GT3 stripper cars out there with minimal options and no leather. Those cars resell easily due to low MSRP.

That said, this car is kinda caught between two worlds, with the OP getting several expensive key options like PCCB, LEDs, front lift, but no leather interior.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Haha no no the comments and opinions are welcomed, I wanted all of this to just consider all options and get others' perspective

I am still considering the leather but I'm at 50/50...also considering the even more expensive black LEDs, since that gorgeous shot above I posted has them, and the black might tie in better with the other black accents that are now standard on the .2 GT3....not sure if I like the "smoked" out effect on the other hand

Last edited by sampelligrino; 12-03-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Seeking build advice for my dream car: my GT3 (First GT Car)