Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intech is the best! I outfitted mine with a rail ryder system and Mac's straps
Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Because in a panic situation your 1500 or SUV(not an excursions, smaller ones) will not be fun to handle with 5500 lbs of trailer swinging around compared to a 3/4 or 1 ton. Towing capacity is one thing, stopping it is another and manufactures only tell you what weight your drivetrain can handle or your hitch, IE tongue weight. And btw, your car is over 3k and with all your straps/chains, fuel, tires etc, you're not just at 4500lbs like you think you are with the low numbers you used. Go to a truck forum and check out the towing sub forum once in there, you will learn a lot more over there than you will on a Porsche forum. It's always better to have more and be safe than be at the limit, especially if you have your family with you.
Haul whatever weight you want with whatever vehicle you want, just be safe my friend.
Rob - Ive spent plenty of time on truck forums, trailer forums, and towing sites. I've also spoken to experts in the industry and have done a lot of first hand research. My car is 3k (funny how you seem to know different) - but i do place 300 pounds of items in the bed as you mentioned. All in all Im towing 4500 which is less than half what the truck is rated for. My truck is stable with a long wheel base, and completely safe. Your information seems to come only from forums and its a overstatement to say that towing a car with a 1500 series truck is unsafe. You're scaring people into getting a 2500 or 3500 series truck to tow a boxster on a trailex.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:52 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Rob - Ive spent plenty of time on truck forums, trailer forums, and towing sites. I've also spoken to experts in the industry and have done a lot of first hand research. My car is 3k (funny how you seem to know different) - but i do place 300 pounds of items in the bed as you mentioned. All in all Im towing 4500 which is less than half what the truck is rated for. My truck is stable with a long wheel base, and completely safe. Your information seems to come only from forums and its a overstatement to say that towing a car with a 1500 series truck is unsafe. You're scaring people into getting a 2500 or 3500 series truck to tow a boxster on a trailex.
lol, no, not info just from forums but many on Cummins forum get info from me. I tow between 17k and 25k combined regularly(gooseneck) with my 1 ton, I also tow less weight when I haul my cars or horses(bumper pull), been towing since I was able to drive. I am not trying to scare anyone at all, just trying to keep the roads safe. Yes, you are right, you are fine hauling 4500lbs behind your truck and I was a little harsh in my words on 1/2 tons, should have been more directed at the X5's, MB suv's , Cayanne's, etc. that haul the same/more weight, they can do it but like I said before, things go a little south and that trailer is going to direct those little short wheelbase SUV's in a bad way. I'm just a big believer in having a "bigger than needed" tow vehicle.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 08-14-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 174 Posts

Bigger is nice, but my MB GLS63 tows far better than my Tundra or Silverado. I literally don't even know it's back there, and the Brembo brakes stop on a dime, even with the trailer. I pull a 20' ATC enclosed trailer with some gear and a couple of different 3400 pound cars effortlessly up and down I-95 routinely. I've seen people struggle with X5, Cayenne, or GLE before...and stopping is the key. The longer wheelbase is the secret, not the "rated capacity" of an SUV. A half-ton truck can easily pull any open trailer with a track car. Worst case senario, use a load balancing hitch. I love the Equalizer.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

1 strap in front of the brakes are cool, crossed in the back and one straight in front.
if brakes hot and just in P I do two in front.

Ive never had a car move an inch and I’ve had the trailer with all 3 axles a foot in the air @95Mph.
Gooseneck, dually, 12 new Tires every 6 months (16 ply trailer), Wake the dead air horn, daylight lamps and electric I’ve hydraulic disc brakes are the key survival ingredients.

Oh, and the trailer needs tapered nose and speed bubble..
If you can pee in a bottle throw a 100Gal diesel tank in the bed.
The following users liked this post:
RossP (06-11-2023)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have any tricks as far as strapping down the front. I loop straps trough the front wheels to d rings on the trailer floor (do not cross). I always struggle to get the straps positioned just right so that the straps dont touch or put pressure on the front spoiler etc.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I hate going through the wheels
i have Jack point mounted hooks in front and hooks on the rear aub frame.
Going through wheels isnt solid to me and can scratchs wheels and mess with alignment.
i know it doesnt, If you know how to do it exactly but I I don’t trust myself.

Hooks on the frame for big distances, like FL to MT Tremblant or Laguna Sega.
through the wheels I just as soon trust the hand brake more.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:26 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

So if you go through the jack point hooks in the front, you don't have issues with the straps rubbing against the spoiler/bumper when you tighten it down?
Old 06-11-2023, 02:11 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Apologies for bringing an old thread back into the future.

These rennline tow hooks, would they touch the track surface when the car is loaded/compressed at the track at speed? Or going over curbs etc.

I had a student in a very new 1.2 damage something in the underside and lose oil, he had blamed the tow hooks getting pushed up from impact and damaging something --- i didn't have a chance (or the reason/motivation) to inspect whether that was a bad install point or a different tow hook at the time, but makes me a bit paranoid now thinking back.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:19 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT3
So if you go through the jack point hooks in the front, you don't have issues with the straps rubbing against the spoiler/bumper when you tighten it down?
On a 991.2 GT3 with a Cup Lip the tie down strap didn't rub. It was strapped to a D ring on floor just in front of the bumper.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Apologies for bringing an old thread back into the future.

These rennline tow hooks, would they touch the track surface when the car is loaded/compressed at the track at speed? Or going over curbs etc.

I had a student in a very new 1.2 damage something in the underside and lose oil, he had blamed the tow hooks getting pushed up from impact and damaging something --- i didn't have a chance (or the reason/motivation) to inspect whether that was a bad install point or a different tow hook at the time, but makes me a bit paranoid now thinking back.
In a 991.2 GT3 I had the rear rennline tow hooks and no way I was ever going to bottom those out. I would go hard over the curbs in the bus stop and no issues. For the rear tow hooks to bottom out would mean something pretty serious off track (like going over a big rockor somehtin) as the car can't get that low, in my experience.
Old 06-11-2023, 07:29 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
In a 991.2 GT3 I had the rear rennline tow hooks and no way I was ever going to bottom those out. I would go hard over the curbs in the bus stop and no issues. For the rear tow hooks to bottom out would mean something pretty serious off track (like going over a big rockor somehtin) as the car can't get that low, in my experience.
Great ty.

Bus stop curbs was exactly what i had in mind.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Turtles (06-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer, how do you strap down your GT3