Sponsored by:

Enclosed trailer, how do you strap down your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:55 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by points
^^^^If your trailer is making your truck squat down in the rear your car is not positioned properly inside. Its too far forward.
Yes and no, if your trailer/ load is too heavy for your tow vehicle it doesn't matter where you position your car inside. You need a proper amount of tongue weight, so positioning too far back in the trailer is a bad thing and will pull weight off the tongue, this will make the trailer sway like a mother. There are so many variables when it comes to towing/hauling, its not just a simple move the car to the back and everything will be fine.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:16 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Yes and no, if your trailer/ load is too heavy for your tow vehicle it doesn't matter where you position your car inside. You need a proper amount of tongue weight, so positioning too far back in the trailer is a bad thing and will pull weight off the tongue, this will make the trailer sway like a mother. There are so many variables when it comes to towing/hauling, its not just a simple move the car to the back and everything will be fine.
Common sense is a pre-requisite to towing. My f150 limited tows my 22' whaler or my 911 in a montrose trailer with no problems. I strap my car down using towels to protect the wheels from the straps.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:31 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Originally Posted by points
Common sense is a pre-requisite to towing. My f150 limited tows my 22' whaler or my 911 in a montrose trailer with no problems. I strap my car down using towels to protect the wheels from the straps.
100%, but common sense with people just driving their cars is hard to come by now a days..lol. I was just throwing some info out there to help anyone that doesn't have any towing experience. What does your BW weigh, pretty close to a GT3 I would imagine, 3000-3300lbs?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

100%, but common sense with people just driving their cars is hard to come by now a days..lol. I was just throwing some info out there to help anyone that doesn't have any towing experience. What does your BW weigh, pretty close to a GT3 I would imagine, 3000-3300lbs?
Yep....real close to being same weight. Boat sits way back on the trailer over the dual wheels so launching is easier. Don't have to get my truck in the water to launch.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=RobbieRob;14677126]The only problem with using those hooks is that you are compressing the suspension when you tie it down, that's not a good practice since the car will be bouncing around continuously and the straps will be tightening and loosening the whole time. Wheel/ tire areas are a better solution since it is the most ridged mounting/strapping point.

I must respectfully and strongly disagree. I had the tire wraps on etrack and the car moved everytime. With the rennline hooks nothing moves in the trailer and no bouncing. I have an enclosed 20 ft aluminum trailer which is pretty light. I put the car in backwards and very near the rear door to keep weight over the axel. The car doesn't move forward or back at all. Almost everyone I know uses same system and no issues whatsoever. The straps have NEVER loosened with the rennline tie downs. But the tire wrap system definitely loosened - the part that goes over the wheel moves and given the tire is round the strap loosens. And getting those tire wraps on is a real pain especially with low cars like the GT3. The undermount tie downs are easy to get at even when everything is really hot just be careful by exhaust. Obviously we have different views on what works but sounds like both will work. Need to use what you are comfortable with.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:14 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

[QUOTE=Mr. Turtles;14677317]
The only problem with using those hooks is that you are compressing the suspension when you tie it down, that's not a good practice since the car will be bouncing around continuously and the straps will be tightening and loosening the whole time. Wheel/ tire areas are a better solution since it is the most ridged mounting/strapping point.

I must respectfully and strongly disagree. I had the tire wraps on etrack and the car moved everytime. With the rennline hooks nothing moves in the trailer and no bouncing. I have an enclosed 20 ft aluminum trailer which is pretty light. I put the car in backwards and very near the rear door to keep weight over the axel. The car doesn't move forward or back at all. Almost everyone I know uses same system and no issues whatsoever. The straps have NEVER loosened with the rennline tie downs. But the tire wrap system definitely loosened - the part that goes over the wheel moves and given the tire is round the strap loosens. And getting those tire wraps on is a real pain especially with low cars like the GT3. The undermount tie downs are easy to get at even when everything is really hot just be careful by exhaust. Obviously we have different views on what works but sounds like both will work. Need to use what you are comfortable with.
In reality though, any cargo load should be chained, strapped, etc. in a ridged way with no movement(the strap/chain, not the actual vehicles body or suspension). Every bounce in the suspension will allow the strap to loosen and then tighten, this could allow the hook to come un-done when the strap loosens on the compression cycle of the suspension, seen it. The proper tire straps are the ones that act like a downward harness or cradle, not just a single 2" or 3" strap going over the center of the tire which will move and could slide off the tire, which is what you probably used and I'll agree, not a good settup. Yes, whatever we feel comfortable with as long as it is safe.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I actually had the tire net similar to these https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ly/A-p8282048e
but the cross strap still loosened so I switched to what other friends were using and have done so for past 2 summers. Love the tie downs bolted to my car. No movement and easy on/off.

PS if someone is looking for these "tire net" tie downs that work with E-Track let me know. I have 4 and can send them to you after Xmas (if you pay shipping in advance of me sending). I live in Ontario, Canada and assume the weight would be about 5lbs. Send me a PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:52 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Originally Posted by FJSeattle
I don’t recommend compressing your suspension as the primary, only as a safety.
I agree.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I see you like the Ram trucks, that is what I have. For some real good info on towing and on the Ram trucks, check out the CUMMINSFORUM.COM, great info on towing, weights, and proper tie down applications. There are posts about gas vehicles also, not just Cummins diesels.
Thanks Rob I will sign up to it. I picked this 2018 RAM 1500 with 5.7 Hemi engine over the weekend and couldn't be happier with performance/value.
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/56475569@N07/, on Flickr
Old 12-19-2017, 02:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I also use the Rennline tow hooks rear and under the front jack points.
it barely compresses the car, they don’t even slack when you lose the tire pressure from the car cooling down.

i use two rear and one front because lazy.
never moved an inch
Old 12-20-2017, 06:20 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The only problem with using those hooks is that you are compressing the suspension when you tie it down
Rennline hooks don’t really compress the suspension to make it an issue. They are safe to use.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I also use the Rennline tow hooks rear and under the front jack points.
it barely compresses the car, they don’t even slack when you lose the tire pressure from the car cooling down.

i use two rear and one front because lazy.
never moved an inch
Reter, an inch is a lot... = 25.4 mm ...
Kidding !
Hope you're well . You went missing after your guy ruined your Cali plans

Me personally i'm doing the over the wheel strap which i personally prefer , in my mind, it causes less stress on the rest of the car. I tend to curb hop with my trailer.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:45 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

I cross front and rear, through the wheels with Mac's padded straps.

Going to try T hooks to see how they work. I have a friend who uses them on his BMW, and he has not had any issues.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:23 PM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=Mr. Turtles;14677317]
The only problem with using those hooks is that you are compressing the suspension when you tie it down, that's not a good practice since the car will be bouncing around continuously and the straps will be tightening and loosening the whole time. Wheel/ tire areas are a better solution since it is the most ridged mounting/strapping point.

+1 for the rennline hooks, I have been using them for a few years now and my cars have not moved an inch in thousands of miles of trailering
Old 12-21-2017, 01:57 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean in Texas
I cross front and rear, through the wheels with Mac's padded straps.

Going to try T hooks to see how they work. I have a friend who uses them on his BMW, and he has not had any issues.
I've been waiting for somebody to mention T hooks. I bought a set in order to help a buddy move his C5 Corvette. They worked great and were less effort than a regular hook.
Also, if you're so inclined, check out the "R hooks". It looks like they fit in the same slot at a T hook, but it looks like they spread the force out a little better.

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer, how do you strap down your GT3