Sponsored by:

Iron to CCB - Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:38 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Iron to CCB - Why Not?

I know this topic is against conventional wisdom and opposite to some track experts' advice.

While most members remain skeptical and may continue rejecting or making fun out of it (like some of my previous posts) but I am sure other members are interested in learning more about this new technology, so let's keep this thread discussion w/o too much of subjective opinion, instead, objective discussion; such as rotor materials difference (Iron and CCB), comparison on performance, durability, and cost (purchase & replacement) are welcome.

If you already have pccb, there is a separate thread discussing its options here.

Pccb alternative?

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
1. Replace to RB-ST rotors (410/390mm), retain factory Yellow calipers - Rotors are designed and built by RB (Discs made by Surface Transforms).
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-Re...por-crk-01.htm
These RB CCM rotors are made with continuous carbon fibers known to perform better and last longer than pccb's (Brembo's chopped fibers)
2. Swap to RB-Brembo rotors (394/390mm), retain factory yellow calipers - Rotors are designed and built by RB (Discs made by Brembo, same as ZR1/Z28).
Due to rotor size reduction so OE calipers (front only) require modification.
3. Upgrade to complete RB CCB system (394/390mm) - Designed and built by RB (Discs made by Brembo, same as ZR1/Z28).
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCB-Sy...ccb-por-01.htm
The calipers and complete system are designed and built by RB. Calipers are built for track duty and functionality with open top for super easy brake pad change w/o removing the calipers like OE.
Same system as we built for David Donohue on his 991 Turbo and Cup cars
With option 2 & 3 you will be running your CCB like ZR1/Z28 owners for low replacement cost at ~$ 1,300 (Front), ~1,600 (Rear) per disc replacement. With option 3 (RB system) the brake pads are also same as ZR1/Z28 with a lot more compound choices at lower cost than Porsche dealers.

These CCB rotor options are also available as an upgrade (oversize) for GT4 and Turbo that comes with standard iron brakes (380/380mm), retain the OE red calipers the required calipers and adaptors are included in the RB kits.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 11-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I put carbon ceramic rotors on and they seem great, better all the way around then steel but I only have one 20 minute session on them to day.
Heading back to Sebring ASAP to report further. Great pedal feel. Will try to get to the refurbishing stage ASAP.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:04 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I put carbon ceramic rotors on and they seem great, better all the way around then steel but I only have one 20 minute session on them to day.
Heading back to Sebring ASAP to report further. Great pedal feel. Will try to get to the refurbishing stage ASAP.
Which brand??
Old 11-21-2017, 08:34 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Those are Surface Transforms rotors. Great choice. AutoQuest Motorsports is the US distributor. John Gaydos can help you.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:00 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great news! This is what many people here are waiting for. Frontline data how the things hold up properly used.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:55 AM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey trackcar. Are you using 380mm rotors or 410mm with spacers on the caliper?

Old 11-25-2017, 01:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qbix
Great news! This is what many people here are waiting for. Frontline data how the things hold up properly used.
I will do my best!
Look forward to compare cost to steel, the first 24,000 miles (12,000 track) I spent about $15K in steel brakes and pads and $40K in MPSC2 tires, so we're going to try this with 19" Forgeline with R7 for the next 24,000 miles :-)
Labor also adds up on top of that, so if I have to go back to the shop a bit less often that's a time and money savings bonus.

So far only one session. They felt phenomenal, but I hope to pound them for an entire tank ASAP!

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
Hey trackcar. Are you using 380mm rotors or 410mm with spacers on the caliper?
410mm with spacers front and 400mm rear, factory PCCB is 410mm and 380mm.
I'm running Pagid RSL1 to try out.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:00 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

I will do my best!

410mm with spacers front and 400mm rear, factory PCCB is 410mm and 380mm.
I'm running Pagid RSL1 to try out.
Sounds great. Does it mean that yellow-caliper cars can run front as-is and need a spacer for the rear? Where did you buy them?
Old 11-25-2017, 02:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Not sure Max.
Autoquest is local to me and put them on at the track while I was having a snack.
They have a bunch of cars running this setup with 19” Forgelines.

Quick Reply: Iron to CCB - Why Not?