Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 11:11 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^My experience with Rear Bypasses, which I do endorse, is it will certainly make the exhaust louder with flaps open when you get on her but it will not necessarily transform the sound. Just make sure you have the correct expectation. The Sharkey Bypass will take the volume from 7 to 9 but will not change the sound by that noticeable of a difference
I agree with this sentiment, the SW unit has more of a higher pitched sound whereas the GMG unit has a deeper more aggressive tone at low end and then ramps up towards higher RPM's.

Here is another example:

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 11-30-2017, 11:52 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Hashlak
Im quite satisfied with the Dundon setup to be honest, ticks all the boxes for me;

Great sound on the power and nice deep rumble on idle.
Good valved system, screams when you want it to, and very silent (as good as stock) when you want it to be quiet.
Quality is fantastic.
Very good support from the Dundon team + warranty and return policies.
Nice bump in BHP figures from stock
Huge weight saving when compared to stock system.

All in all, car sounds epic, feels lighter and better handling + more powaaa!
Did you go for the full system or just rear bypass?
Dundon is a serious contender!

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
Any of the exhausts mentioned in this thread spit flames? For some reason that is a high priority for me.
I love flame spotting too but that flaming lambo is a real bummer lol.

Originally Posted by tonymission
If you want a full exhaust system, I would go with the Dundon headers. I have the street/catted version and love them: great sound, extra power, what more could you want?
If you want just a center muffler delete, I went through a few of them and prefer the BBi Autosport pipe.
Power gain doesnt matter to me as the car is fast enough. I heard this video and it sounds heavenly:

i assume this is a full system? Can a rear bypass only get close to this?

Originally Posted by Fast Doc
Matt(money2536) did a great review on exhaust systems for the 991.1 GT3

He ultimately decided on Dundon after maybe 4 or 5 different systems on his own car.

Look up his thread.
On it now! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
No- full exhaust(including headers) from my understanding
I am struggling to gauge what can be achieved with just rear bypass vs a full system. I would prefer just rear bypass if I can accomplish a sound similar to some of these ipe videos.

Doing more research on Dundon.

Thank you all for the amazing help! I will be posting some nuocy vids when the cars arrive to give back to the community!
Old 11-30-2017, 12:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

My best assessment is that bypasses add some volume and some growl, but the exhausts give that trumpet-y brassy race sound as Revs climb.

IPE sounds better than Dundon to me at high Revs, very “f1” ish, but I’m not sure if IPE has drone or not.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I spent a morning following Matt in his GT3 with Dundon headers at the Spring '16' Smokies. Great sound and Matt did an independent dyno run which showed excellent gains. I have a set of Dundon headers on my GT4. Good bump in hp and torque with outstanding sound, fit and workmanship.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:37 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Did you go for the full system or just rear bypass?
Dundon is a serious contender!

I love flame spotting too but that flaming lambo is a real bummer lol.

Power gain doesnt matter to me as the car is fast enough. I heard this video and it sounds heavenly:
https://youtu.be/7pw9jdgjJWI

i assume this is a full system? Can a rear bypass only get close to this?

On it now! Thanks!

I am struggling to gauge what can be achieved with just rear bypass vs a full system. I would prefer just rear bypass if I can accomplish a sound similar to some of these ipe videos.

Doing more research on Dundon.

Thank you all for the amazing help! I will be posting some nuocy vids when the cars arrive to give back to the community!

Here is a video of the rear muffler and side bypass pipes only. They sell the titanium catback exhaust with side muffler bypass pipes. The titanium system is around 4000 and the steal is 3200. You can hear in this vid that it still sounds great without the header portion. I was leaning toward Fabspeed race headers, but now am leaning toward IPE again.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:41 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Here is another vid of the titanium catback. The only drawback of IPE is it doesn't make power. From the pictures and video I have seen, the catback titanium seem pretty good quality, even though they have a bad reputation on the forums.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

My friend has IPE and it drones but at WOT it sounds good. One issue I have are the bolt clamps that secure the tips they are really visible and ruins the look IMO. When I'm behind him at the light its very noticeable

Old 11-30-2017, 11:11 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Derek RS
My friend has IPE and it drones but at WOT it sounds good. One issue I have are the bolt clamps that secure the tips they are really visible and ruins the look IMO. When I'm behind him at the light its very noticeable

Can you explain what WOT is?

Does your friend have the valvetronic system with or without headers? It still drones even with valves closed?

good point on the clamps
Old 11-30-2017, 11:26 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

WOT = wide open throttle

IPE visible bolts have always annoyed me, so cheap. Get the tips welded on. Fi exhaust is the sister line, if I recall. Heard the Fi while in Prague on .1 3RS, was pretty much sold on that pitch. But not sold on function.

Dundon MS w/headers still my top choice.

Fi fwiw...

Last edited by PwAg; 11-30-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:46 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

View this post on Instagram

Winner!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:50 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PwAg
WOT = wide open throttle

IPE visible bolts have always annoyed me, so cheap. Get the tips welded on. Fi exhaust is the sister line, if I recall. Heard the Fi while in Prague on .1 3RS, was pretty much sold on that pitch. But not sold on function.

Dundon MS w/headers still my top choice.

Fi fwiw... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fID1RnrTxs
Wow... you hit the nail on the head. That pitch is epic! I assume that was a full system with headers?

the perfect setup for me is that pitch when valves open and quiet with no drone when valves are closed.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:52 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drdonger
sounds good!
Old 12-01-2017, 02:07 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Soul Performance Center Muffler Bypass Exhaust

The 991.2 sounds really good stock. I would like a little more volume without the whole headers hassle, reversible, and lowest cost. Soul Performance Center Muffler is a clear winner. Installation DIY and vids soon.

https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-9...ypass-exhaust/

$760 USD list price.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:43 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 311 Likes on 164 Posts

Best exhaust? Stock exhaust FTW.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:06 AM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

IPE system does not drone. Not even in the lower ranges. And it screams like no other in the upper. Unless for some reason each individuals ears hear sound frequency differently.

I have the full system and couldn't be happier. Agree with the sentiment that the car is fast enough, to the degree that even altering the pitch/sound of the exhaust without any gains in power
is satisfactory. But to each their own. Some demand that power be increased with an exhaust swap.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3