Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 GT3 .2 or 2019 Corvette ZR1??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Oh,,it’s a Pandora’s box for sure. Lol. Tell me about it!

i have raced but mostly HPDE. Either way speeds are high and chit happens. With this sport it’s not if but when if your at it long enough. Safety is paramount with me.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for a dedicated track car, seems like you could accomplish a lot more for a lot less money.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:46 PM
harryz
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I track wtih a friend who drives a 16 Z06 in the North East, he had only one issue on 95 degree day at NJMP (eps, so not good), he since fitted the additional cooling recommended by GM and has no problems since. He runs in the advanced group and drives pretty hard, the issue for him is bending wheels which GM repair/replace. I bought a GS in addition to the .2 GT# and apart from a few quality issues have been very happy with the car. If I did not get the .2 I would buy the ZR-1. Sounds like I am in the minority in this forum though.
Originally Posted by est8esq
Due to personal reasons, I've been out of the car scene long enough to have lost any chance of a .2? After numerous calls and failed assistance to dealerships within few hundred radius (to include Porsche, N.A.) my best chance of a .2 is sometime, late next year of who the heck really knows w/ Porsche (as all of you already know)???

Since Chevy announced the new ZR1 and it's scheduled for spring deliveries next year, just in time for next season's track schedule (at least up here in northern U.S.), I'm not sure if I should wait and hold my breath for an unforeseen future with possible allocations or go w/ a sure thing??

I'm still extremely leery of all the heat issues experienced by previous generation Vette and well ... at the end of the day Chevy is still not "Porsche."

My main use of these cars is solely for the track. Most road and street miles only come from scrambling to local gas stations in between sessions.

My main parameter has always been a production car, straight from the factory that I can stick a license plate that is "fast AND reliable" for track use.

Obviously, it's somewhat a loaded question being raised on this forum, but through the years RL'ers are bona fide car enthusiasts first and I'd appreciate thoughts?
I felt the exact same way as you. Had a C5z06 that was extensively modified for track use but was still streetable. Looked at a C7z but saw too many engine rebuilds than I drove a 991s in 2013 and have been a P car guy since. Now have a 991 GT3. I feel Chevy does not have the track car commitment Porsche does. Technicians, enthusiasts, non dealer shops, and dealers are much more performance car focused with Porsche.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

I've been at a number of events with TGIBRIT and his friend. They are both fast. The Z06 has run flawlessly from what I have seen and they run alot of events.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:33 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Too mange engine rebuilds for the Z?

I thought the.1GT3 was hard to beat.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Are you running on the clock as an accredited driver e.g. want to take part in a sanctioned race or sprint series or are you simply doing it for fun at HPDE.

Do you want to run at Porsche only events e.g. PCA in a specific class?

Or to put it another way what is your goal and what types of circuits will you be driving.

One left field option worthy of consideration is the new 991.2 GTS (with PDCC-RAS-SPASM-SC-PDK) add MPSC2 N1 tires (or Trofeo Rs) and you are just as quick as a GT3 and far quicker than a GT4. You can also get one and you won't have to pay ADM. Perfect for sprints and hill climbs.
I'm purely a "weekend warrior" and DE only. Tried racing, but I'm not in right season of life for me. Without my .1, I admit missing the PCA 48 Hrs at Sebring. As for other choices, I'm interested in ONLY the .2 or this new vette.

I like being fast and like everyone on here don't want to take steps backwards. As much as I loved the .1, I have to admit I got bored. It was almost too perfect? Flawless, actually. My times fluctuated only on ambient temps, cycles on tires and traffic in my run group. Felt it needed just that more HP. Then came the Viper ACR (damn you, Randy Pobst).

Coming from years of paddles into the Viper was at first challenging, then fun, but now frustrating. The low end torque and usable horsepower at lower speeds is INTOXICATING, but on long straights it's a pig (all Dodge needed to do was design gears, specific to the ACR and they didn't).

I tried calling a Chevy dealer and it doesn't surprise me, but they have zero info? No more than what we all already know from "open source intel."

I haven't looked spec'ing a .2 (why go put myself through exercises in futility?), but suspect how I'd want it would get me below $200k. Word on street appears the Vette could be had for around $150k, tops? Based on 750+ hp, 3500 lbs, the numbers seem right, believe should be faster than GT3.2, but what good are all stats if you're in limp mode...
Old 11-21-2017, 09:20 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
if you're going to track a car...and I mean TRACK a car.....

Go 2017 Viper ACR. Not only will it make a GT3 look a bit slow....it also has "feel" that american cars have never had before.

Everything from the carbon brakes to the manual transmission work like swiss watches. Drives like a 700bhp Miata. And does so with aero, instead of electronic gimmicks.
mhh. good to read.
mine should be on a vessel to EU in one or two days. the wait is killing me.

i didn´t bought any US car since my C6Z06. the engine was a blast. but all the rest. no.
i prefered to drive Miata, E46M3 or other stuff with just 1/2 of the hp.
the ACR E is the only thing where i think you will get a good feeling driving it. (not just on the straight line)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:01 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm purely a "weekend warrior" and DE only. Tried racing, but I'm not in right season of life for me. Without my .1, I admit missing the PCA 48 Hrs at Sebring. As for other choices, I'm interested in ONLY the .2 or this new vette.

I like being fast and like everyone on here don't want to take steps backwards. As much as I loved the .1, I have to admit I got bored. It was almost too perfect? Flawless, actually. My times fluctuated only on ambient temps, cycles on tires and traffic in my run group. Felt it needed just that more HP. Then came the Viper ACR (damn you, Randy Pobst).

Coming from years of paddles into the Viper was at first challenging, then fun, but now frustrating. The low end torque and usable horsepower at lower speeds is INTOXICATING, but on long straights it's a pig (all Dodge needed to do was design gears, specific to the ACR and they didn't).

I tried calling a Chevy dealer and it doesn't surprise me, but they have zero info? No more than what we all already know from "open source intel."

I haven't looked spec'ing a .2 (why go put myself through exercises in futility?), but suspect how I'd want it would get me below $200k. Word on street appears the Vette could be had for around $150k, tops? Based on 750+ hp, 3500 lbs, the numbers seem right, believe should be faster than GT3.2, but what good are all stats if you're in limp mode...
I think with the manual, especially in the NE, you will not have overheating problems. Perhaps also check out this forum if you have not had a chance yet:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iscussion-170/

I think its a good alternative if you can't get the .2. the biggest concern I would have relates to quality, especially panel fitment and NVH.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a C6 ZR1 in the garage and tomorrow I will be parking my new 991.2 GT3 next to it. I love the Vette and I think the C7's are great. Never felt the need to "upgrade" from my ZR1 to the C7 Z06 as it felt like more of a lateral move performance-wise. I was really hoping for a high-revving race smallblock in the new ZR1 with just over 650hp NA and less weight than C7 Z06. But GM made a "smart" decision and went with a wider market with more horsepower with basically a substantially juiced up C7 Z06.

It does have 5 more heat exchanger than the C7 Z06 is what I read. Like my ZR1, I think it will be pretty good at ambient temps of less than 90F. If you're a very fast and aggressive driver and it's over 90F out, then you might get some timing pull and a little heat soak, but figure it'll still be faster de-rated than most other cars at your HPDE track days. I think it's a beast and with that huge wing and gaping air vents in the front bumper plus the very cool heat extractor hood, it definitely looks the part.

100% get the 7-speed manual though as I'd bet money the 8-speed auto will crap out before the LT5 engine. They've never been good at keeping that tranny cool. Speaking of which, a bit bummed they didn't put the next-gen 10 speed automatic in the ZR1. Don't understand that one. It's a beast in the ZL1 Camaro (not available in the 1LE ZL1). Closest thing GM has to the PDK-S.

Anyway, will wait a year or two and MAYBE trade my C6 ZR1 in for the C7 ZR1 to hopefully then park next to my 991.2 GT3 RS that I'll hopefully was able to get with my 991.2 GT3 trade-in. Car aspirations! Guess I better get back to work. Ha.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:46 PM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I agree with another poster: think about a GT R as it’s like a more sophisticated, faster and better built German version of a Z06. Since there aren’t many allocations at the moment for the car, you ‘might not’ lose too much in depreciation on the GT R should you trade/sell it when your GT3 comes in. Whereas you most definitely can guarantee major depreciation on even the ZR1.

Bish
AMG’s have abysmal resale. I don’t expect the GT R to be any different. Even in the absence of the upcoming black series....
Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 PM
turbo8765
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Due to personal reasons, I've been out of the car scene long enough to have lost any chance of a .2? After numerous calls and failed assistance to dealerships within few hundred radius (to include Porsche, N.A.) my best chance of a .2 is sometime, late next year of who the heck really knows w/ Porsche (as all of you already know)???

Since Chevy announced the new ZR1 and it's scheduled for spring deliveries next year, just in time for next season's track schedule (at least up here in northern U.S.), I'm not sure if I should wait and hold my breath for an unforeseen future with possible allocations or go w/ a sure thing??

I'm still extremely leery of all the heat issues experienced by previous generation Vette and well ... at the end of the day Chevy is still not "Porsche."

My main use of these cars is solely for the track. Most road and street miles only come from scrambling to local gas stations in between sessions.

My main parameter has always been a production car, straight from the factory that I can stick a license plate that is "fast AND reliable" for track use.

Obviously, it's somewhat a loaded question being raised on this forum, but through the years RL'ers are bona fide car enthusiasts first and I'd appreciate thoughts?
Give the ZR1 a try. The porsche GT allocation process is reason enough to try something else... if only temporarily.

It’s interesting that the Z06 cooling system gets so much more negative press than the .1 GT3 engine replacments.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:19 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
I have a C6 ZR1 in the garage and tomorrow I will be parking my new 991.2 GT3 next to it. I love the Vette and I think the C7's are great. Never felt the need to "upgrade" from my ZR1 to the C7 Z06 as it felt like more of a lateral move performance-wise. I was really hoping for a high-revving race smallblock in the new ZR1 with just over 650hp NA and less weight than C7 Z06. But GM made a "smart" decision and went with a wider market with more horsepower with basically a substantially juiced up C7 Z06.

It does have 5 more heat exchanger than the C7 Z06 is what I read. Like my ZR1, I think it will be pretty good at ambient temps of less than 90F. If you're a very fast and aggressive driver and it's over 90F out, then you might get some timing pull and a little heat soak, but figure it'll still be faster de-rated than most other cars at your HPDE track days. I think it's a beast and with that huge wing and gaping air vents in the front bumper plus the very cool heat extractor hood, it definitely looks the part.

100% get the 7-speed manual though as I'd bet money the 8-speed auto will crap out before the LT5 engine. They've never been good at keeping that tranny cool. Speaking of which, a bit bummed they didn't put the next-gen 10 speed automatic in the ZR1. Don't understand that one. It's a beast in the ZL1 Camaro (not available in the 1LE ZL1). Closest thing GM has to the PDK-S.

Anyway, will wait a year or two and MAYBE trade my C6 ZR1 in for the C7 ZR1 to hopefully then park next to my 991.2 GT3 RS that I'll hopefully was able to get with my 991.2 GT3 trade-in. Car aspirations! Guess I better get back to work. Ha.
a couple of things:

1: the A8 transmission even in the Z06 runs very cool; it’s the damn engine that doesn’t possess enough heat exchangers to run cool enough when driven ‘hard’ at an HPDE for 25 minutes;

2: the new A 10 doesn’t fit in the C7 chassis; hence the continuation of the A8 in the C7 ZR1

I agree however that anyone buying a ZR1 for road course purposes should only buy the M7 until such time as others have had the A8 version out on a road course, and we can see for ourselves whether the A8 ZR1 runs cooler than the Z06. I wouldn’t believe GM on whether the A8 version is suitable. And yes, it will most probably be faster than anything other than true ‘race cars’ on a road course.

Bish
Old 11-21-2017, 08:20 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765
AMG’s have abysmal resale. I don’t expect the GT R to be any different. Even in the absence of the upcoming black series....
Time will tell, but there sure aren’t many GT R allocations available.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
a couple of things:

1: the A8 transmission even in the Z06 runs very cool; it’s the damn engine that doesn’t possess enough heat exchangers to run cool enough when driven ‘hard’ at an HPDE for 25 minutes;

2: the new A 10 doesn’t fit in the C7 chassis; hence the continuation of the A8 in the C7 ZR1

I agree however that anyone buying a ZR1 for road course purposes should only buy the M7 until such time as others have had the A8 version out on a road course, and we can see for ourselves whether the A8 ZR1 runs cooler than the Z06. I wouldn’t believe GM on whether the A8 version is suitable. And yes, it will most probably be faster than anything other than true ‘race cars’ on a road course.

Bish
You are correct. I wasn't thinking yesterday. The A8 is okay temp-wise most of the time, but for whatever reason it's heats up the engine more rapidly than the M7 likely due to it's frequent downshifts and holding higher rpm that most guys would do with the M7. I didn't know the A10 didn't fit. Good to know.

Anyway, I think the ZR1 will be a blast to drive and with that immense 700+lb/ft of torque, it's going to make power all over the tachometer so short shifting it (to help keep temps down on an extended hot session) is unlikely to degrade lap times to any significant degree.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I would be thinking a cheap Camaro, or a AMG GTR instead.
Camaro's somehow seem to hold up better. And I fit in them. C7 seems small and not that crash worthy to me.

Quick Reply: 911 GT3 .2 or 2019 Corvette ZR1??