Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 02:38 PM
CMS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
Thanks. I haven't seen any PM come through yet.

Kind regards,

Chris.
Just re-sent it, I think our internet connection was faulty last night!
Old 11-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by CMS
For those of you who really geek out on this stuff (like we do!):

From Schroth Harness Installation Instructions regarding the shoulder belts: "For the best restraint of the occupant’s upper torso, ideal anchor points should not be further back than 200 mm [8”] from back of user’s seat...Extremely long shoulder belts allow for extra elongation and head movement and should be avoided. Long shoulder belts also provide more slack during the rebound phase so the belts may slide off the occupant’s shoulders or HANS. SCHROTH HANS-specific restraints with lower elongation rates for such strap lengths are designed."

From ISP Racing Seats: "Although brevity is necessary with all the belts, you especially want to keep the shoulder straps as short as possible because they are the longest pieces of the system. Any safety harness will allow a certain percentage of stretch, so the longer the belt, the more overall stretch it will allow. To minimize shoulder-belt length, the belts should mount to a rollcage bar almost directly behind the driver’s seat and approximately level with his or her shoulder blades."

Other seat and harness manufacturers make similar suggestions. Does it mean only our roll bar is safe? Absolutely not. It does, however, mean that safety is our first priority and, again, form follows function.
Yes, Schroth states < 8" is recommended, but to cross the belts and use their Hans-specific belts when longer lengths are used (such as on the 991 Cup Cars and OEM Porsche Clubsport package). It's nice to have all harness bar options, including those with the shortest possible belts.

That being said, if it's OK by Porsche to mount the belts on the rear section of the bar in their OEM Clubsport package and race series with the 991 Cup Cars, then it's OK for me in my humble HPDE use. As always, it's nice to have options for those that have different priorities or preferences.

Quick Reply: CMS GT3/GT3RS Roll Bar Free Harness!