Sponsored by:

991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:41 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Relax. I'm not saying I'm even interested, but I do think you're overstating the challenge. Chris Harris didn't have any trouble drifting the GT3 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvEw-Mbzv4
Just a little surprised over the defensiveness.
My favourite car journalist by a mile. If only he could get some of the X Factor from Schmee
Old 07-14-2018, 02:03 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with Footsoldier. Most of the 911R owners posting on this forum are very, very knowledgeable and experienced drivers. They own many cars and have driven many cars. In the end I don't think any of them care all that much about a numbered car or marketing BS. I'm not even sure how much they care about future values. I don't. The GT3, winged or not, is fantastic. To me, the winged car felt similar to my 997.2 GT3RS. The R feels different.

To me, the R has a certain spryness, if that's even a word, reminiscent of a 964 RS in a contemporary car. I imagine that if we all were together and took one car v. another around the same course on the same day we would all pretty much agree about the "feel" even though one of us might prefer one car over another. My German friends call this "po-po meter."

Footsoldier, unotaz and others are just trying to give readers on this forum a qualified understanding, as best they can, about the dynamics of the car. We all can search the internet for road tests, weight, part numbers, lap times etc. but there is that intangible something that can only come from experience.

This entire debate (and anger) began because of exclusivity and money. But that day is gone. In the U.S., with a $15-20k dealer premium, the GT3 Touring is a $200k car. The market for a LWFW R is $325k. I've even heard of cars at $300k. And they're available.... for now. This is no longer the 911R is $600k and "you're not on the list." I'm not saying $100k is nothing but GT3 Touring owners are willing to pay $100k over the price of normal 911 for a GT3T. Maybe there is someone out there that can afford a GT3 or even a used R and wants to know if there are any differences because on paper they seem pretty much the same. I certainly would.

On a lighter note here is the definitive 911R road test. The test driver has a '14 C4, MT, Aero package, full Tubi she uses as her daily driver.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

[QUOTE=wolfmobil;15123456]
My black 911R will be two years old this September. I have had GT3T for 6 months now and after 1,500 miles I will be selling the car or trading it for GT3RS. GT3T is a very capable car. But compare to 911R it is too sterile and not exciting and invokes no emotion in me at all.

Understand major engine and
Old 07-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
My black 911R will be two years old this September. I have had GT3T for 6 months now and after 1,500 miles I will be selling the car or trading it for GT3RS. GT3T is a very capable car. But compare to 911R it is too sterile and not exciting and invokes no emotion in me at all.
911 R , sounds like a pebble in a tin can ... hardly excitIng or emotional ?

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 07-14-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Error
Old 07-14-2018, 02:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
This entire debate (and anger) began because of exclusivity and money.
The only ones getting angry and talking about anger in this thread seem to be the R owners. I have no horse in this race as I wouldn't exchange my 996 GT3 with either of the cars discussed. (OK, I may exchange it with an R but only so I can sell the R and buy my 6gt3 back + have a decent $ chunk left to play with.) Doesn't mean I won't call Porsche marketing BS when I see it. Not a smidgen of anger here on my part.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jon70
Agreed. I think one of the reasons Porsche made the touring version is to drop the R prices.
agree as well, better engine and chassis ... R sounds like a pebble in a tin can ... they call that “special” lol
Old 07-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sechsgang
My touring comes in December, I'll compare it with my R if the weather cooperates in the Northeast at that time. FWIW, no one that I've talked to who has both the new GT3 and the R (obv not touring but still 991.2 manual) has mentioned anything about the new motor FEELING any better or more special as of yet other than being generally awesome as GT3 motors always are. Then again, any of us who have had a 997.2 RS (3.8) still thinks that motor was more fun than the newer variants...
R engine problems are plummeting values, the “special” pebble in and tin can sounds are tiresome for most and now the can’t get an allocation for the superior GT3T ... most are upside down $100K, let me know if you need any more info on the R
Old 07-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

R engine problems are plummeting values, the “special” pebble in and tin can sounds are tiresome for most and now the can’t get an allocation for the superior GT3T ... most are upside down $100K, let me know if you need any more info on the R
I have had no engine issues. I don't know any owner that has. That "tin can" sound that you hear is the sound of "lightness." I agree with you that there are many people that prefer a well insulated car. But for some of us less is more. Clearly this forum has illuminated that you prefer a different configuration regardless of availability. And that's OK.

As for allocations. I was offered a healthy profit on my R and an allocation for a GT3, Touring or winged. I turned it down.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:45 PM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you expand your premise of 911R engine issues. I have not heard of this from anyone else. None of the 911R owners on this forum has mentioned anything of the sort. I have friends with 911R's they have not had any issues at all, so whats up!
Old 07-14-2018, 04:06 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 873 Likes on 385 Posts

Agreed 100%. But it's not CAlexio's fault, as he doesn't know how much track experience you have with your cars, or your level of driving skills Footsoldier. Some owners like to parade their cars around with their entourage, some owners are serial track rats.

Originally Posted by Footsoldier

sorry, that's just wrong. You can tell the difference blindfold, or you don't have much feel for a car.
It's frickin tiresome and patronising getting told it's all in the mind, which is I'm sure why people get wound up.
And that's nothing to do with what's 'better', is worth more or otherwise.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:16 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 873 Likes on 385 Posts

There is actually a really thorough 911R book and goes in-depth on the back story of how the 911R was conceived and developed. I have a copy, but it's like 400 pages.

Off of the top of my head, the 911R was the first Motorsport developed car that was conceived without a set target Nurburgring lap time from the beginning. When Motorsport develops a car, they always have a set target lap time for each new model. In the 911R case, no lap time target was set, and no record attempt was made at the end, which is a first for AP and his team.

Originally Posted by hf1

What are these target sets for each car and how do they differ from one another? Any quotes/links from Porsche in support of the above?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Off of the top of my head, the 911R was the first Motorsport developed car that was conceived without a set target Nurburgring lap time from the beginning. When Motorsport develops a car, they always have a set target lap time for each new model. In the 911R case, no lap time target was set, and no record attempt was made at the end, which is a first for AP and his team.
Was there a Nurburgring lap-time target that they had to beat with the gt3T? How many potential gt3T buyers did they anticipate would care if this target/goal was reached or not? And if the gt3 was designed primarily for laptimes and superior track performance (supposedly completely unlike the R), then what was the RS meant to be designed for?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Suitcase;15141594]I have had no engine issues. I don't know any owner that has. That "tin can" sound that you hear is the sound of "lightness." I agree with you that there are many people that prefer a well insulated car. But for some of us less is more. Clearly this forum has illuminated that you prefer a different configuration regardless of availability. And that's OK.

As for allocations. I was offered a healthy profit on my R and an allocation for a GT3, Touring or winged. I turned it

“Lightness” or “light headedness” ... lol
Old 07-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an R, a Turbo S Exclusive and a GT2RS, all at MRSP.
Pretty sure I could have made a profit, or got a Touring if either was my motivation.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:42 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WernerE
Probably because a fair number of 911R owners have gone out of their way championing the car as "special" over the 991.2 GT3. No mystery there. I'm not chasing the finer elements of fairy dust, and I'll probably stop at stripes and still be grinning ear to ear.
911 R ... yes lots of ridiculous

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 07-14-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring