Opinions needed - Interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:34 PM
ysiysiyksi
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Opinions needed - Interior

Hello,

I need to lock my build for 991.2GT3 in the next two weeks.

Right now it is a Guards Red Exterior, buckets, leather interior with red stitching.

I am not a big fan of Alcantara, nor the red stripe on the seats. But buckets are a must.

Leather Interior and Red stitching is 5k combined and I feel like I get nice stitching but also more of the fuzzy stuff, which I get is kinda GT3 thing.

Question1:
- With Guard Red exterior, is the standard interior even an option, as it has the great stripe - or completely out of place with red?
- Is leather steering wheel a big no no in a GT3? I am worried how well the alcantara wears over time
- Does the standard interior look drastically less finished/cheaper?
Old 11-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Everyone will have their personal taste/preference.... here's mine.

I didn't want to go overboard in extra cost options so I personally prioritized the "must haves" for me. I know the extended leather and stitching will look real nice ( I had it all on my Macan Turbo) but in the end I sacrificed those extra luxury aesthetic items for what I really wanted (Buckets, PCCB, LED, and some interior fluff).

To answer your questions, here's my opinion:
- With Guard Red exterior, is the standard interior even an option, as it has the great stripe - or completely out of place with red? No it will not look out of place... if anything it tones it down (less red for example).

- Is leather steering wheel a big no no in a GT3? I am worried how well the alcantara wears over time. To me yes, but to others nope not at all and there's nothing wrong with that... I like Alcantara on a GT car. YMMV. So go with your flavor...

- Does the standard interior look drastically less finished/cheaper? Drastically? Nope not at all. Less? Yes but still acceptable IMHO. This car is sports-focused so less fluff can be a plus. Again, my opinion... if you feel to splurge on leather/stitching, etc... nothing negative with that but you'll just spend more & more.

Good luck with your build... no matter what, you're going to love the new 4.0 which is the best thing about the GT3.2
Old 11-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Another opinion.

I prefer the leather interior. The base interior looks out of place (to me) in a $150k car. Stop by the dealer and look at the standard interior in a 911. Not bad, but nothing special. The bad thing is, you are forced to look at the cheap plastic dash every time you drive the car.

If you want to get rid of the seat stripe, there are a few options. You could spend an absurd amount of money to get 'Porsche Exclusive' options or you could select the touring package which has black leather & cloth. Alternatively, you could replace the seat cushions after purchase. Me, I wouldn't neuter the car, so the touring package is out.

I prefer the leather steering wheel. Alcantara can look worn rather quickly. Also, for me, the alcantara is too 'grippy' when using nomex gloves. The leather steering wheel is also a rare free Porsche option!

I think a Guards Red car would look fine with the full leather interior with platinum stitching. Won't 'pop' like the red stitching, but costs $1500 less.

Look at options at the dealer. That is your best bet. None of us can order the car you would like.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:21 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Another opinion.

I prefer the leather interior. The base interior looks out of place (to me) in a $150k car. Stop by the dealer and look at the standard interior in a 911. Not bad, but nothing special. The bad thing is, you are forced to look at the cheap plastic dash every time you drive the car.

If you want to get rid of the seat stripe, there are a few options. You could spend an absurd amount of money to get 'Porsche Exclusive' options or you could select the touring package which has black leather & cloth. Alternatively, you could replace the seat cushions after purchase. Me, I wouldn't neuter the car, so the touring package is out.

I prefer the leather steering wheel. Alcantara can look worn rather quickly. Also, for me, the alcantara is too 'grippy' when using nomex gloves. The leather steering wheel is also a rare free Porsche option!

I think a Guards Red car would look fine with the full leather interior with platinum stitching. Won't 'pop' like the red stitching, but costs $1500 less.

Look at options at the dealer. That is your best bet. None of us can order the car you would like.

I agree 100% The base interior has the cheap, pebbly plastic dashboard and door panels. The leather interior has the smooth leather and the stitching just stands out much nicer. Overall, the feel is much more luxurious in a $150K+ automobile. Otherwise, the dashboard has the same plastic as a Focus.

I daily drive my GT3 and after 16,000 miles, the steering wheel and shift **** look very very nice. I would imagine the alcantara variant may look a bit more worn. That said, I do agree that a GT car probably should have the alcantara wheel and shifter...however, with the full leather interior, the leather wheel and **** look more in place.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Another opinion.

+1 I'd go with leather wheel, leather dash, extended alcantara on door, leather on top of steering column (saw it 2 days ago and it is visible to driver) but I'd have the red stitching. If I get one it'll be a street car as I'm keeping my 996 GT3 for track duty.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Go with leather wheel and gear shift. Skip the full leather interior (Grey stitching looks fine with red) and swap the stock trim for leather trim with standard interior. That was my plan before the touring came out. It gives a very subdued look (why people like bright things and flashy things in an interior is beyond me).

I think standard Porsche leather is cheap looking and I don’t like alcantara so I would not spend $3500 to get cheap leather and more alcantara.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:20 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

That's what I did. And I love it. It's less in your face, and strikes a beautiful balance with the anthracite alu trim !
Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

You didn't mention if going touring or not, but assume not. Advantage with touring is the leather interior is a minimal cost (relative) to extend it fully.

But I'm more inclined to keep the alcantara steering wheel with red marker, go platinum on the stitching along with silver stripe but extend the leather on the dash.

As left field idea, I am going after market on the leather and inserts for my buckets. Much simpler and hopefully get exactly what I'm looking for. Might worth a thought to save some dollars also.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed - Interior