Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for guys that do not track new GT3s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Tires for guys that do not track new GT3s?

I'm curious,
  • do you run out your Cup 2's then change?
  • Have dealer swap Cup 2's out on delivery for Michelin P4S or PSS?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:05 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

You paid for them, may as well run them out.. From your sig, you have experience with RWD cars.. You should be fine with them, even in rain conditions..
Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
You paid for them, may as well run them out.. From your sig, you have experience with RWD cars.. You should be fine with them, even in rain conditions..
Absolutely, just checking the pulse on what others do or have done.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

The stock MPSC2 tires are plenty good and comfortable in the dry and not too cold. If you want tire for more all-weather use, then certainly MPSS or New 4S are better for that.

I’ve thought about OP’s question, too, and here’s what I think:

if if you intend to put on something other than stock MPSC2 tire, best thing to to would be to do so immediately upon delivery and store the stock (new) tires. Here’s why:

1. You’ll get immediate benefit for your use of vehicle of your preferred tire, without having to wait to “wear out” the first set.

2. Let’s face it, you’re gonna sell or trade in the vehicle someday. Chances are it will be after about the amount of miles that it takes to wear out a set of tires (10K or a little more miles, depending on your use and the tire; more miles if non-track use and if non-MPSC2 tire). When you sell or trade the car, the dealer or buyer will expect it to have nearly new stock MPSC2 tires on it, or else they will discount what they pay you for the car by the $2,000 (or more) it will cost them to restore it to factory stock new tires. So if you have the new MPSC2 tires in storage you won’t suffer that fate. And all you will have spent in the meantime will have been the (lower) cost of the alternative tires in the meantime whose benefit you experience during the whole of your ownership of the car.

3. If you really are gonna keep the car forever, then sell the stock new take-off set, for which you’ll get enough money to fully pay for your preferred tire, since the MPSC2 tires are more expensive. Just be prepared to shell that money back out whenever you eventually sell or trade the car in the form of a discount off what they give you for it then.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Could you explain the benefits of each tire you listed? I’m trying to learn as much as possible and don’t see much of a difference.
Originally Posted by Lapis
The stock MPSC2 tires are plenty good and comfortable in the dry and not too cold. If you want tire for more all-weather use, then certainly MPSS or New 4S are better for that.

I’ve thought about OP’s question, too, and here’s what I think:

if if you intend to put on something other than stock MPSC2 tire, best thing to to would be to do so immediately upon delivery and store the stock (new) tires. Here’s why:

1. You’ll get immediate benefit for your use of vehicle of your preferred tire, without having to wait to “wear out” the first set.

2. Let’s face it, you’re gonna sell or trade in the vehicle someday. Chances are it will be after about the amount of miles that it takes to wear out a set of tires (10K or a little more miles, depending on your use and the tire; more miles if non-track use and if non-MPSC2 tire). When you sell or trade the car, the dealer or buyer will expect it to have nearly new stock MPSC2 tires on it, or else they will discount what they pay you for the car by the $2,000 (or more) it will cost them to restore it to factory stock new tires. So if you have the new MPSC2 tires in storage you won’t suffer that fate. And all you will have spent in the meantime will have been the (lower) cost of the alternative tires in the meantime whose benefit you experience during the whole of your ownership of the car.

3. If you really are gonna keep the car forever, then sell the stock new take-off set, for which you’ll get enough money to fully pay for your preferred tire, since the MPSC2 tires are more expensive. Just be prepared to shell that money back out whenever you eventually sell or trade the car in the form of a discount off what they give you for it then.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires get old and loose grip so storing is not an option. Many articles on this and may be a major contributor to lot of CGT crashes.

I drive my GT3 in the mountains mostly and drive it fairly hard. With 27K miles I have gone though two sets of rears and fronts. Fist set of fronts were replaced at 6K due to tire damage. Second set lasted to the second set of rears. The fronts were wearing faster than the rears at first but changed the alignment and then rears started wearing faster. I also adapted my driving stile a little for this car.

The main disadvantage of the cups is the noise but with better grip. I would use up the fronts then switch to a better all around tire if you drive in the rain or don't drive as hard. For me I use too much of the grip and hate to give anything back.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Stock MPSC2 is an ultra high performance summer tire that is street legal. Of the tires mentioned, it’s the best on track for grip. However, it’s also the worst of them in the wet and/or cold. It’s also louder and will wear out faster. This is all because it’s softer stickier rubber, generally, and has closer to a racing slick tread pattern than the others.

My GT3 has the stock MPSC2 tires for the entire time I owned it. A joy to drive on track and in the twisty back roads on a nice day. But when I drove from Ohio to Atlanta for Smokies GT, it was scary at above 60-65mph in the rain. You could feel it slip on the freeway. One day there we did a drive in the rain and man, we were slipping all over the place. Scary.

The MPSS is still very good on track but not as good as MPSC2. But it’s worlds better in the wet traction. The 4S, which I haven’t tried yet, is just an evolution of the MPSS. Neither of these are all season or winter tires though. I’d probably go for the newer 4S if doing something other than stock MPSC2 (if more all around daily driver use was my goal) on a GT3.

Now if you want to use all winter long (not just snow, but in temps below 45 degrees), then consider an all season tire if you can find in the right sizes. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S series would be best for that. Or, even a dedicated set of winter tires (Michel Pilot Sport Alpin series or similar). They not only have more aggressive tread pattern for all weather traction, but more importantly, their rubber compounds are designed to stay soft and pliable at colder temps where the summer tires above get hard and lose traction completely.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would swap in your position. For C4S ...
Old 10-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Tires get old and loose grip so storing is not an option. Many articles on this and may be a major contributor to lot of CGT crashes.
This is overstated. Sure, it’s a bad idea to store tires for 5+ years. They age out. But I’m talking about 1-2 years. When storing it’s imoortant not to leave them someplace where they are exposed to extremes of hot/cold and dryness vs dampness. Think climate controlled storage unit, you’ll be fine.

CGTs crash because they’re basically hyper cars with no stability or traction control barely ever driven and when driven, their owners, who usually aren’t good drivers, try to push them and show off.

if there has ever been a CGT crash from old tires, may be because those cars are more than 10 years old now and 10 year old tires, even if tread perfect, on a car like that is a bad idea when pushed hard by a bad driver on public roads, especially when they’re cold, and especially without benefit of stability/traction control to save you when you F up.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is overstated. Sure, it’s a bad idea to store tires for 5+ years. They age out. But I’m talking about 1-2 years. When storing it’s imoortant not to leave them someplace where they are exposed to extremes of hot/cold and dryness vs dampness. Think climate controlled storage unit, you’ll be fine.

CGTs crash because they’re basically hyper cars with no stability or traction control barely ever driven and when driven, their owners, who usually aren’t good drivers, try to push them and show off.

if there has ever been a CGT crash from old tires, may be because those cars are more than 10 years old now and 10 year old tires, even if tread perfect, on a car like that is a bad idea when pushed hard by a bad driver on public roads, especially when they’re cold, and especially without benefit of stability/traction control to save you when you F up.
Not saying your wrong but much is not figured once a tire get older. The CGT that Walker was killed in was supposedly driven my a skilled driver but regardless of skill level these are extreme cars. The current GT3 has a lot of safety features that will cover a poor driver. My point is that the car was delivered with a great tire however it is not suitable for regular driving in rain. If you don't drive in the rain then why not use a better grip tire. If noise is and issue the GT3 is the wrong car to begin with.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how...our-tires.html
Old 10-17-2017, 01:02 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 591 Posts

there are several options one can do depending on circumstances
1. when I lease a car, and I don't like tires, I change them soon after delivery and put them back on when returning the car
2. If I own the car, I swap the OEM tires , and replace with whatever tire I want , and sell the OEM tires at a reasonable price
so if the op selects the michelin 4S which are great street tire, he can sell OEM cup 2 for probably 60-70 % of retail price , and one advantage of 4 S also is longer life
Old 10-17-2017, 01:14 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

If history repeats itself and these cars get delivered and suddenly shortage of cup 2's.. he will get 100% $$$$ for his tires.. So may be a good idea to sell them.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:04 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Stock MPSC2 is an ultra high performance summer tire that is street legal. Of the tires mentioned, it’s the best on track for grip. However, it’s also the worst of them in the wet and/or cold. It’s also louder and will wear out faster. This is all because it’s softer stickier rubber, generally, and has closer to a racing slick tread pattern than the others.

My GT3 has the stock MPSC2 tires for the entire time I owned it. A joy to drive on track and in the twisty back roads on a nice day. But when I drove from Ohio to Atlanta for Smokies GT, it was scary at above 60-65mph in the rain. You could feel it slip on the freeway. One day there we did a drive in the rain and man, we were slipping all over the place. Scary.

The MPSS is still very good on track but not as good as MPSC2. But it’s worlds better in the wet traction. The 4S, which I haven’t tried yet, is just an evolution of the MPSS. Neither of these are all season or winter tires though. I’d probably go for the newer 4S if doing something other than stock MPSC2 (if more all around daily driver use was my goal) on a GT3.

Now if you want to use all winter long (not just snow, but in temps below 45 degrees), then consider an all season tire if you can find in the right sizes. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S series would be best for that. Or, even a dedicated set of winter tires (Michel Pilot Sport Alpin series or similar). They not only have more aggressive tread pattern for all weather traction, but more importantly, their rubber compounds are designed to stay soft and pliable at colder temps where the summer tires above get hard and lose traction completely.
This was exactly my experience w/ my .1 GT3. Excellent summary on the available choices and reasons behind each. I have decided to get another set of wheels for the track and mount MPSS 4S for daily use because sudden rain is a year round reality in South Florida, and the Cups are a not suitable for the wet even when warm.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:13 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

the tire temp has minimal impact on wet surface traction, which as i understand it, is mostly based volume of thread pattern voids and resultant evacuation of water as it is being traversed.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:20 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I'm curious,
  • do you run out your Cup 2's then change?
  • Have dealer swap Cup 2's out on delivery for Michelin P4S or PSS?
At about 22k miles, I've changed tires once I think at about 12k. I've only had one track day, the rest is canyons and street. For what is effectively an R compound tire, this is really good mileage. I was expecting 5k miles but, I'm sure it's because I'm nowhere near the tires expected use being off track 99% of the time.

They're great on dry, best I've ever had. They were slippery when brand new when I took delivery in the rain, at night, in the cold. They're okay in the rain, I don't press it because a hydroplane from too much acceleration is just dumb. Really, I'd never put on a different tire. Maybe down the road, I'll put on whatever is newest and best for latest gen GT3 if I have to.

Money isn't an issue. It shouldn't even be a part of the discussion for a car as expensive as ours. Last thing you want is to have a tire that doesn't perform as you'd expect and then you find yourself in trouble on the road at the worst possible moment. Don't cheap out with a lower performing street tire. Just stick with OEM.

Dan (thinks if you have to worry about cost of tires or insurance, you can't afford the car)

Quick Reply: Tires for guys that do not track new GT3s?