Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car things to do in or around LA!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:39 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Car things to do in or around LA!

One of my "bucket list" plan is slowly coming together and as a consequence I'm going to ship my Singer to California at the beginning of December, possibly keeping it there till Car week 2018 and Rennsport Reunion VI.

I will be able to spend one week in Los Angeles from the 8th of December.

What are the petrolheads "must do" things in the area that time of the year?

Currently thinking about going to see Rod Emory (and hopefully start a project with him), Magnus Walker, the lovely team at Singer of course and perhaps driving a bit to go and see Bruce Canepa collection.

I noticed that during my stay, there is a trackday at Laguna Seca which I'm considering attending. It is organized by the "Northern California Racing Club" (http://www.ncracing.org/events.php), does anyone have any experience with them?

Petersen Museum is of course another stop I intend to make.

What driving road I can't miss? Thinking Highway 1 all the way to Monterey but looks like it is still closed before Big Sur?

Anything obvious I'm missing? Would appreciate any help and idea to better tailor my itinerary!!

Thank you guys!!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:42 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...er-los-angeles

This just opened.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:08 AM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
I did the one in Atlanta, I can’t recommend it enough. Plus LA has the GT1 on display.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 AM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Photo of LA experience center last month when I was there

Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 AM
maxt
Racer

Ok, looks like PEC LA is a must!

Thanks for the tip!!
Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Where will you be and ship and store your car?

The to do is a long one. I’d avoid ncrc with a car like a singer. They can be a little chaotic.

Pm me for some other recommendations depending on what you’re looking for and where
Old 10-16-2017, 01:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,742 Likes on 5,127 Posts

The LA Auto Show is going on from Dec 1-10.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

I was out there 2 months ago and fit the following into a weekend:

Period Correct in Costa Mesa is a neat store
PEC LA Lunch
Petersen Museum
Malibu Canyon Driving

Would also try to visit Magnus Walker's shop if you can
Old 10-16-2017, 06:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Ciao Max,

-f3 school qui a Sonoma Raceway.. unica al mondo con chassis in carbonio. Figata.
-tante strade qui appena a nord di San Francisco.. la Costa diventa spettacolare a partire da qui.
-visita agli uffici pagani qui a sf, ti faccio una intro se vuoi
-Canepa cars and coffee, se no chiama in anticipo e spiega che vieni da lontano apposta, e ti lasciano entrare nell’officina.. come un museo della fantasia, ero lì questo weekend solo per darti un esempio.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...fee-today.html
-fantasyjunction a Emeryville
http://www.fantasyjunction.com/
-have fun con il planning, se hai bisogno di dritte per sf anche manda un pm.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

LA has way too much to do in a week (both car stuff and non car stuff) It would literally take you years to do it all, really a lifetime

theres more that happens in a weekend in LA then any other city in the country probably. take your time and enjoy the women and weather and cars
Old 10-16-2017, 11:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,241 Likes on 610 Posts

1) petersen museum- 100% amazing and really cool architecture

2) couple really good driving roads close to LA:

a) ortega highway (90 mins south)
b) angeles crest (45 mins north)
c) all over malibu canyon (45 mins west)

3) further north: shaver lake, yosemite etc are amazing roads but being alpine roads they will be VERY dodgy in december. The driving roads into Carmel and Monterey are amazing, beautiful scenery and a lot of nice little round onramps to slide cars around

4) eat amazing tacos- the mexican food in SoCal is the best. I will PM you options
5) definitely see Rod's shop, been meaning to go for years and a huge fan of his work

track days are plentiful that time of year

Buttonwillow
Willow Springs
Thunderhill
Sonoma
Laguna Seca

all have track days scheduled during that time...Laguna Seca is awesome but has sound issues. So, unless you have a car that is quieter than 92dB, you could be hosed.

Thunderhill is the best track overall, with less stuff to hit than Sonoma. Sonoma is the ballsiest track with the best mix of elevation, speed, and lateral G's.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

But we all know buttonwillow has the most charm and is a perennial favorite. And no sound *****
Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

If you go to Petersen, try to arrange for a private tour of the vault. Not sure it is regularly open to public, so maybe call in advance ?

I should have a soft copy of a route through the Malibu Canyons that I usually take, I guess about 20 miles, if that makes it easy for you - from hwy 1 back to hwy1. Just let me know and I'll try to find it and send it. If about lunch time and sushi is a possibility I would tu to stop at Nobu Malibu for lunch after the drive. Singer will shine in those roads.

I don't think this will be the case, but if you want to see the sub 7 Rodeodriveschleife drivers, just go to Wally's on Canon Drive, ask for a table outside, and see the very expensive sports cars accelerate from traffic light to traffic light (I suggest their truffled fries if this is of interest). Perhaps part of the local car culture.

Plus lots more on good coffee and restaurants if I can be of help.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:19 AM
C6 ZED
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Max
I think there is so much to see and do in the L.A. area in the week you have you won't have time to drive up to LS/Canepa/Monterey/Carmel and back. The new Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge just south of Big Sur is open now so Highway 1 is drivable all the way south to Gorda (best scenery if weather is good) but is closed near Gorda until sometime next year after they clear the huge slide so you would have to retrace back to Monterey. See Caltrans Quickmap Options Full Closures: http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov. Maybe better to do the Highway 1 drive up to LS/Canepa/Carmel/Monterey next year when you attend Rennsport VI. Suggestions posted above are all excellent so enjoy.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:20 AM
maxt
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Where will you be and ship and store your car?

The to do is a long one. I’d avoid ncrc with a car like a singer. They can be a little chaotic.

Pm me for some other recommendations depending on what you’re looking for and where
The car is going to be stored at Singer, given it will be my first time at Laguna Seca I think they will only let me in the "novice" tuition sessions...which is totally fine for me and perhaps a bit less crowded? Having said that, think noise will be an issue but there is a db killer that Singer fitted to their cars last time they've been out there during car week.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The LA Auto Show is going on from Dec 1-10.
Thanks noted!

Originally Posted by Guest89
I was out there 2 months ago and fit the following into a weekend:

Period Correct in Costa Mesa is a neat store
PEC LA Lunch
Petersen Museum
Malibu Canyon Driving

Would also try to visit Magnus Walker's shop if you can
Yes Magnus already scheduled, sent him a message yesterday and he will be around! Good shout about Period Correct!! Thanks!

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Ciao Max,

-f3 school qui a Sonoma Raceway.. unica al mondo con chassis in carbonio. Figata.
-tante strade qui appena a nord di San Francisco.. la Costa diventa spettacolare a partire da qui.
-visita agli uffici pagani qui a sf, ti faccio una intro se vuoi
-Canepa cars and coffee, se no chiama in anticipo e spiega che vieni da lontano apposta, e ti lasciano entrare nell’officina.. come un museo della fantasia, ero lì questo weekend solo per darti un esempio.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...fee-today.html
-fantasyjunction a Emeryville
http://www.fantasyjunction.com/
-have fun con il planning, se hai bisogno di dritte per sf anche manda un pm.
Ciao Alex! Grazie per le dritte!! Temo di non riuscire a spingermi fino a SF ma lo tengo sicuramente per le prossime volte! Gia' se riuscissi ad arrivare da Canepa sarebbe fantastico...vediamo un po' il planning!

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
LA has way too much to do in a week (both car stuff and non car stuff) It would literally take you years to do it all, really a lifetime

theres more that happens in a weekend in LA then any other city in the country probably. take your time and enjoy the women and weather and cars
Agreed, been to LA quite a few times already but this time, having had a waiver from my wife, is going to be "car only" so should have enough time to do most of the interesting stuff!

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
1) petersen museum- 100% amazing and really cool architecture

2) couple really good driving roads close to LA:

a) ortega highway (90 mins south)
b) angeles crest (45 mins north)
c) all over malibu canyon (45 mins west)

3) further north: shaver lake, yosemite etc are amazing roads but being alpine roads they will be VERY dodgy in december. The driving roads into Carmel and Monterey are amazing, beautiful scenery and a lot of nice little round onramps to slide cars around

4) eat amazing tacos- the mexican food in SoCal is the best. I will PM you options
5) definitely see Rod's shop, been meaning to go for years and a huge fan of his work

track days are plentiful that time of year

Buttonwillow
Willow Springs
Thunderhill
Sonoma
Laguna Seca

all have track days scheduled during that time...Laguna Seca is awesome but has sound issues. So, unless you have a car that is quieter than 92dB, you could be hosed.

Thunderhill is the best track overall, with less stuff to hit than Sonoma. Sonoma is the ballsiest track with the best mix of elevation, speed, and lateral G's.
Thanks CJ, much appreciated! I will have a look at other trackdays in the area! A detour to see you in Fresno was on the cards as well! Let's see how I get on with planning and will keep you posted!!

Originally Posted by br911
If you go to Petersen, try to arrange for a private tour of the vault. Not sure it is regularly open to public, so maybe call in advance ?

I should have a soft copy of a route through the Malibu Canyons that I usually take, I guess about 20 miles, if that makes it easy for you - from hwy 1 back to hwy1. Just let me know and I'll try to find it and send it. If about lunch time and sushi is a possibility I would tu to stop at Nobu Malibu for lunch after the drive. Singer will shine in those roads.

I don't think this will be the case, but if you want to see the sub 7 Rodeodriveschleife drivers, just go to Wally's on Canon Drive, ask for a table outside, and see the very expensive sports cars accelerate from traffic light to traffic light (I suggest their truffled fries if this is of interest). Perhaps part of the local car culture.

Plus lots more on good coffee and restaurants if I can be of help.
Thanks, will definitely try to arrange a private tour in the Petersen Museum! Well if you could find that itinerary it'll be ace, sounds like a very good and easy one!
Love the "Rodeodriveschleife" I guess I will eventually have to bump into them as I booked an hotel not far from there as a base!

Originally Posted by C6 ZED
Hi Max
I think there is so much to see and do in the L.A. area in the week you have you won't have time to drive up to LS/Canepa/Monterey/Carmel and back. The new Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge just south of Big Sur is open now so Highway 1 is drivable all the way south to Gorda (best scenery if weather is good) but is closed near Gorda until sometime next year after they clear the huge slide so you would have to retrace back to Monterey. See Caltrans Quickmap Options Full Closures: http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov. Maybe better to do the Highway 1 drive up to LS/Canepa/Carmel/Monterey next year when you attend Rennsport VI. Suggestions posted above are all excellent so enjoy.
Thanks a lot, leaving wife at home will be a big help in having time to drive around as much as possible but I do think one week only will be a bit of a stretch, let's see once I have some more precise planning...hopefully I'll be able to squeeze most of the stuff in!

Quick Reply: Car things to do in or around LA!