Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow tires for 991.2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 04:37 AM
KAZ911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of driving sports car year round (life is short), and have driven many R compound tires in freezing/snowy conditions. I don't recommend it, in ways it's a bit irresponsible, but at the end of the day it comes down to the driver. Simply keeping your distance from others to ensure enough braking distance goes a long way in inclement weather.

OP, i know you're set on the winter tires, which I agree is great for winter and very cold conditions. However, for many reasons others have already posted, mainly safety, I highly highly recommend choosing a more suitable tire for the summer time. I'm convinced MPSC2s are not for you, but the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s will be perfect for your summer drives. Here's a little info on them.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/micheli...lot-sport-4-s/

I have driven their predecessor MPSSs on my M4 safely through snowy mountain passes and torrential PNW rain. I have no experience with the 4s, but I've heard nothing but good things and they are objectively better than what I considered as the best all around street tire.

Lastly, the absolute most important thing I can recommend is to attend any and all driving schools you possibly can. I recommend the Atlanta Porsche Experience Center as a start. There are also many specific winter Porsche driving events. Doing this will better prepare you for driving in wet/icy conditions, and will also enhance your confidence in driving your GT3. This will not only result in you becoming a safer driver, but will also substantially increase your enjoyment of your GT3 year round, I guarantee it!
Old 09-29-2017, 08:32 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^I would do that..
Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I was confident until this happened. Now, all seasons or snows for me.

I won’t drive it in snow, but I don’t want to be paranoid every time it is cold and/or I get a surprise rain.
Perhaps this is oversimplifying things: but it seems like you have numerous vehicles. Why don't you just check the daily forecast on your phone and then chose the appropriate vehicle that suits the weather forecast? Putting snows on a GT3 for year round use just seems so odd. You are neutering that sucker.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

If it was just rain I would not worry at all. Ice and snow is another factor and I have only driven an old C4 in snow (fun passing 4wd pickups and stopping to help others who have ditched their trucks).

I have a lowly '04 GT3, but the stock Michelin PS2 tires have always proven to be no problem in the wet. We don't get the low temperatures here, but we do get lots and lots of rain. I have driven in rain so deep it once tore off the front spoiler. The grip was uncanny. I love driving that car in the rain.

As KAZ911 said, maybe a good driving school would be a good choice. Got to at the least be fun! However, I would be more worried about other drivers in bad conditions. People here are damn scary when it sprinkles, let alone seriously inclement weather.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:01 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Sottozero 3 now in matched GT3 size set on tirerack. 245 35 R20 and 305 30 R20. saw the link on the 991 board.

So I am an idiot and the front 245 35 R20 are not available in sottozero 3. The link in the 991 forum was wrong. Thankfully, RL classified came through with a set of OZ wheels and Michelin alpins in 245 35 and 295 30 R20 so that is what I am going with. The seller was very nice. I need to paint the red trim ring on the wheels black, and my car will look like lord Vader’s car in black with black wheels (hopefully the silver trim helps mitigate that) but it saves me from dealing with getting tires installed on the stock rims and the cost is about what just the tires would have been anyway.

Last edited by evilfij; 11-11-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Sottozero 3 now in matched GT3 size set on tirerack. 245 35 R20 and 305 30 R20. saw the link on the 991 board.
But are those Porsche N-rated?

If you are so concerned about safety with traction, then un-rated tires are just as dangerous as mismatched front and rear tire models and running winter tires in the summer time.

At times it's not the tires' problem, I drove my 918 and Speciale with Cup2s on in heavy rain at 10 degrees, they do hydroplane a little bit but with appropriate speed the water is not a problem. One just need to adjust the driving style for the conditions.

Yes you have had a bad crash with summer tires in the rain, is it really the tires' fault? Or perhaps the driver's skill set is lacking?
Old 10-02-2017, 08:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Not N rated that I see.

Better than summers though. I rather consistently have traction than the absolute most traction possible in the dry and hydroplaning in the rain. I admit I am not the best driver going which is all the more reason for this. I have what I need which is a matched set so I am good to go. I am now waffling between getting another set of wheels for the winter tires or not. If I used set of GT3 wheels comes up for sale I will get them, otherwise I will just have the dealer install the sottozeros on delivery and sell/trade in the stock Michelins.

This “winters are dangerous in the summer” is nonsense. On winters a GT3 will still out brake and handle 90% of vehicles on the road.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:34 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 637 Posts

With all due respect, I think your tire approach is crazy. Just because you wrecked your lotus doesn't mean you'll wreck your GT3. And how do you know it was the tires fault you wrecked your lotus......?

You said you live in mid Atlantic area. I lived in that area for several years and drove a 991 GT3 for two years there.
It's insane to run snow tires in that area from May through September. If you want optimal wet traction during the summer, use Michelin super sports, and then use the alpins the other 6-7 months of the year.
The super sports will provide superior traction, even on a 50 degree rainy day, compared to a winter tire.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I think this entire thread is the most subtle and genial toll thread ever
Old 10-03-2017, 01:17 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
But are those Porsche N-rated?

If you are so concerned about safety with traction, then un-rated tires are just as dangerous as mismatched front and rear tire models and running winter tires in the summer time.

At times it's not the tires' problem, I drove my 918 and Speciale with Cup2s on in heavy rain at 10 degrees, they do hydroplane a little bit but with appropriate speed the water is not a problem. One just need to adjust the driving style for the conditions.

Yes you have had a bad crash with summer tires in the rain, is it really the tires' fault? Or perhaps the driver's skill set is lacking?
Whoopsy did you notice the sottozero 315/30/21 N0 tires? I wonder if those are intended for the 918. Either that or the 2RS.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Actually I see these are for the Panamera Turbo/s. Strange they would offer a 21” winter wheel option.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 AM
LarrousseLC88
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I've just got a 991.2 GT3 and would like to know if snow chains of sorts exist for the car either from the factory or aftermarket. My previous car was a C4S and it was ok for alpine conditions.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LarrousseLC88
Hi all, I've just got a 991.2 GT3 and would like to know if snow chains of sorts exist for the car either from the factory or aftermarket. My previous car was a C4S and it was ok for alpine conditions.
Don't put snow chains on 911s.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 306 Posts

If I own a GT3 and live where the weather is lousy part of the year, I'm buying a beater to drive in the lousy weather. Put winter tires and chains if needed on the beater. That's what I did when I was living and working in Wisconsin. I put a block heater on my beater with an extension cord to a timer in the garage. It was very comfy driving around in the winter, and it spared my Porsches needless miles, maintenance, cleaning and abuse from sliding off road or into things. IMO, it would be crazy to drive a GT3 or other treasured Porsche all Winter. Get a beater and keep your Porsche safe and clean indoors in Winter.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:58 AM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
I've run snow tires on every Porsche that I've ever owned (4) GT3's.

I haven't missed a winter yet and the reassurance of good soft treads in cold wet weather is priceless.

You should see the look on the salesmen at the dealer when I show up in my GT3 in the middle of winter.

Lots of traction with all the weight in the rear. Very reassuring and stable. In fact, I'd say that the GT3 with snow tires is one of my favorite winter vehicles.

(P.S. I'm running the Sotto Zero tires now and they are great.)
what wheels do you use? although I hate the Sotto Zeros in my AMG wagon I would be willing to give them a try in my GT3.

Quick Reply: Snow tires for 991.2 GT3?