Sponsored by:

Insurance for multiple cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 03:47 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 633 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Liability only on umbrella. Terrible policy.
What is so terrible about liability umbrella policies? Could you describe the concerning situations where they aren't helpful?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
What is so terrible about liability umbrella policies? Could you describe the concerning situations where they aren't helpful?
So your out on a Saturday night and and a 96 F150 runs a red light and Tbones your 911. Cars destroyed and your in Eroom with a broken pelvis unconscious. After 75k in Eroom charges your discharged 3days later and Dr informs you you can't work for 60 days and you have multiple disc injuries.

You get home and your thankful your alive and that's when you REAllY read your policies for the first time. So you soon figure out that the F1 50 that hit you only has $50,000 worth of coverage and your auto policy is 300/500.

But you're good right?? You've got 2 million in umbrella coverage. Wrong you're not good because you have a liability only policy which means it only covers damages when you're at fault.

The point here being that you want a policy that covers you in any situation and doesn't exclude coverage when you need it most. In my 20 years of practicing I've seen countless accidents that mirror the above and I'm just one lawyer in Atlanta. This happens every day.

All insurance companies will gladly sell you that umbrella but will not offer a full umbrella policy. Why? Because it doesn't make financial sense to them.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Very Happy with Chubb, discount on excess cars is something like 40% or 60%.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried connecting your auto policy with your homeowners? Packages do help in pricing.

I ask my agent to bid out all my policies each year. Some of these companies quietly engage in what is known as loyalty premiums. The more they think you are unlikely to change providers the more they increase their rates. I have now been successful in keeping my policy costs basically level for the last five years. Also beware of low cost providers. Sometimes when you need them you get very little.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Also make sure your current carrier, State Farm, knows that the other 4 cars are not used for school or work.

If you're not married, get married.
If you're young, and have/had a "B" average, ask for a good student discount.
Make sure they are seeing an accurate credit score.

Last edited by LexVan; 09-15-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Give Chubb a call

https://www2.chubb.com/us-en/find-ag...FUVGXgodKRkPaQ
Old 09-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Try Cincinnati Mutual. I have 4 cars insured with them currently. They were cheaper than State Farm with a stated value policy on my two RS cars. My wife's BMW X3 daily driver is about the same per year as one of the RS even though it is worth significantly less. Total auto policy is about $3500 per year in Georgia
Old 09-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Originally Posted by fskof
Good call.

You might spend a bit more but Your good neighbor and good hands companies I.e. State Farm and Allstate are just bad.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:22 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

So your out on a Saturday night and and a 96 F150 runs a red light and Tbones your 911. Cars destroyed and your in Eroom with a broken pelvis unconscious. After 75k in Eroom charges your discharged 3days later and Dr informs you you can't work for 60 days and you have multiple disc injuries.

You get home and your thankful your alive and that's when you REAllY read your policies for the first time. So you soon figure out that the F1 50 that hit you only has $50,000 worth of coverage and your auto policy is 300/500.

But you're good right?? You've got 2 million in umbrella coverage. Wrong you're not good because you have a liability only policy which means it only covers damages when you're at fault.

The point here being that you want a policy that covers you in any situation and doesn't exclude coverage when you need it most. In my 20 years of practicing I've seen countless accidents that mirror the above and I'm just one lawyer in Atlanta. This happens every day.

All insurance companies will gladly sell you that umbrella but will not offer a full umbrella policy. Why? Because it doesn't make financial sense to them.
Ok, but my car insurance covers the damage to my car, my heath insurance covers the excess on my hospital stay, and I have disability insurance at work.

If you really want that type of coverage, you can get uninsured/under insured coverage which (depending on the state) will kick in for costs caused by another at fault, but without adequate insurance.

The point of an umbrella is to protect your assets from others' claims when you are at fault. Not pay you for your losses. A full umbrella policy as you describe may be largely redundant.

I should add that this stuff gets state specific especially with fault/no fault, what uninsured/underinsured covers etc.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:23 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Good call.

You might spend a bit more but Your good neighbor and good hands companies I.e. State Farm and Allstate are just bad.
Chubb is great, they are just obscenely expensive. They wanted $14k for homeowners insurance for me. All in they were a multiple of State Farm.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Originally Posted by evilfij
Chubb is great, they are just obscenely expensive. They wanted $14k for homeowners insurance for me. All in they were a multiple of State Farm.

Actually State Farm is not so bad on the homeowner side I was referring to the auto side. They actually have their own law firm that defends claims on the auto side
Old 09-15-2017, 12:35 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Actually State Farm is not so bad on the homeowner side I was referring to the auto side. They actually have their own law firm that defends claims on the auto side
I have them for both. Not ideal and customer service is not good, but in one state I have a house due to some serious idiocy by the insurance commissioner they and Chubb are the only two companies that would write my house. The bottom line is that if you are making a claim against someone, you don't get to choose their insurance company so most of this is out of your hands.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:19 PM
JSA
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
I just added my ZL1-1LE and deleted my Z06 and my policy Dropped $484.00. You are not being charged $900 a month.My yearly premium for the ZL1-1LE is $1050 for the whole year.
I'm not an idiot. I was quoted $900 per month. Not per year.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I have GEICO and I insure multiple cars as the primary driver, with the mileage allocated by car. The premium is lower the less mileage allocated to a car. It's not as cheap as insuring a single car, but it's nowhere close to paying a full premium on all the cars.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Nothing you've said above indicates umbrella policies are bad; they're awesome. You're just complaining because they're not providing the type of coverage you want. Like buying a car and then complaining that its not an RV.

If you want protection for the accident above, max out your uninsured/underinsured premiums to the highest level possible, and maintain good personal health insurance. The loss above has nothing to do with umbrella liability policies.

Quick Reply: Insurance for multiple cars