991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving US Spec GT3 in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017 | 12:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

If anyone knows how to insure a US registered car in Europe let me know. Would save me buying a new car just to do ED....
Old 09-15-2017 | 01:26 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

I wonder if I have to go through all that regulatory hassle if i register my car at my friends house in Serbia and rive it around europe for a month, lots of things in the east seem easier
Old 09-15-2017 | 01:40 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

there is no way you can legally drive it in Germany longer than 6 months without federalizing it to comply with TUF. its not worth it unless you have a very rare car. just spend the time there buying and driving machines that can't be had here.
Old 09-15-2017 | 12:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If anyone knows how to insure a US registered car in Europe let me know. Would save me buying a new car just to do ED....
have you tried either USAA or GEICO?

Originally Posted by carrering
there is no way you can legally drive it in Germany longer than 6 months without federalizing it to comply with TUF. its not worth it unless you have a very rare car. just spend the time there buying and driving machines that can't be had here.
+1 this is pretty much true for any EU country, up to 6 months temporary import, then you either register it permanently in
country (and pay any GST & import duty if required).

I knew some guys who did this a few years ago, RoRo'ed their
cars from the East Coast into the Netherlands I think...

Its also been suggested that their is minimal tourist/temp insurance available from ADAC, but I have not looked into that
Old 09-15-2017 | 12:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I tried, no go.
I'll look into ADAC, good idea.
Old 09-15-2017 | 12:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I tried, no go.
I'll look into ADAC, good idea.
At one point I was in touch with a car importer in CH .... I think they had some tourist/temp insurance...

problem is pretty much no EU insurer will insure a car w/o local registration...

I wonder what US service people and diplomats do?
Old 09-15-2017 | 01:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I do recall (perhaps wrongly) "someone told me" that if you import into Germany customs will require GST+import duty to be placed in escrow, hence best for any car to arrive in the EU
outside Germany...

not sure of the accuracy of this, but better to find out before your car gets off its ferry!
Old 09-15-2017 | 04:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I do recall (perhaps wrongly) "someone told me" that if you import into Germany customs will require GST+import duty to be placed in escrow, hence best for any car to arrive in the EU
outside Germany...

not sure of the accuracy of this, but better to find out before your car gets off its ferry!
My family bought American cars to use in Italy and we specifically brought them into Germany, German, then into Italy.. broker showed us that was easiest route. Used State Farm (8-9 years ago) with them having full coverage and knowledge of the vehicles location... although I do remember we switched to a German insurer who specifically dealt with "expat" or tourist type vehicles visiting Europe. We actually ended up keeping American plates on them for years as we used them less than 6 months, and only changed to Italian plates to sell them. Made decent money on the sale vS reselling in the USA for all the above-mentioned price discrepancies. Jeep grand Cherokee v8 and a dodge caravan... the gas bills with the big engines were hefty though

Needless to say, and at the cost of do-gooders and morally pretentious contributors killing me for saying this... but The benefits with speed cameras were worth their weight in gold.
Old 09-15-2017 | 04:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

We had a car on Dutch plates for a while but the steady stream of tickets killed that deal.
So I need to know more! If you have any contacts to insure US plated cars please let me know.
Old 09-15-2017 | 04:57 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
outside Germany...

GST is a Canuck thing IIRC and VAT would be the proper term.
Old 09-15-2017 | 09:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

We had a car on Dutch plates for a while but the steady stream of tickets killed that deal.
So I need to know more! If you have any contacts to insure US plated cars please let me know.
Will make a Facebook connection between us tomorrow as soon as my buddy agrees to it. He has had American motorcycles in Europe for years, and seems to know the ins and outs. I'm just waiting for his "yes" and I'll connect you

Quick Reply: Driving US Spec GT3 in Europe