Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Message is Porsche sending GT buyers with the new touring pkg

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

This is the only way to get a NA 911, the GT3.
Recall that all other flavors of 911 will be TurboCharged for 2018.

In the past, GT production numbers have been limited by CAFE computations over the whole fleet. If they sell more higher mpg cars then that will allow more GTs to be produced

Originally Posted by James Walker
This is not a build capacity issue, there is enough 911 capacity to build more GT3s and reduce Carrera production. Strategically they don't want to do that so we can continue to speculate as to why. You can't get a steel Rolex Daytona either but it is not a capacity issue.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

The Univ of Washington?
Is that the University that has a Husky as their mascot but display a Malamute as the symbol ...?!

Non Dog lovers for sure
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Doesn't this reinforce the idea that they should just have their supplier ramp up production and sit on more stock year round?

Unlike the fine gentlemen above me, I didn't go to Stanford, only lowly University of Washington, but we are in total agreement that the current situation makes no sense.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Sorry...read the topic sentence about taking production elsewhere and skipped the rest as that is obviously not going to happen. Didn't realize you put another topic in there...

I have a hard time with the concern of GT 'brand' dilution. This is not Ferrari; Porsche was a legendary sports car company that has leveraged their brand/image into a platform-sharing SUV company. To cut off enthusiast customers from the brand identifier seems foolish. As I said previously, I expect supply will catch up with demand for the GT3.
AP himself referred to the GT3 as a brand within a brand. High value brands purposely limit production in order to enhance its value. The examples are numerous. Rolex, Birkin, Ferrari, RR, et al. I believe P wants to follow their footsteps. Remember when there was discussion of a level entry Pcar? Their answer was "buy a used one!" Same as Ferrari.

I agree with you about maybe the fear being overblown but really expect them to keep production constrained.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Only one of those listed is a 'brand within a brand'. Does Rolex limit Daytona production to sell more lower-end watches? Did Ferrari limit Speciale production to sell more Californias? Sure, maybe, but it is a dangerous game...what are you offering your GT3 customers that have $150-200k to spend on a sports car? A Turbo? Not a likely substitute. These buyers are going to go elsewhere, and taking their brand loyalty with them. I already have, and Porsche knows that people like me will not come back without available product.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:20 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Yea but Alan, you're HERE passionately talking about GT Porsche's like the rest of us, and hoping for an allocation. From over here. It looks like they've done their job to a T (unless you're on ferrari, Rolex, and Birkin-subforums this much also?).

Look, as a marketing and brand-enhancing tool, scarcity is the tried and tested method. The more you care, the more they win.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Marketing triumph? Not in my case. I am smack in the middle of Porsche's target market, but despite the time I waste here, they are not making any revenue off of me. Maybe sometime in 2019?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 PM
theplanner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marketing triumph? Not in my case. I am smack in the middle of Porsche's target market, but despite the time I waste here, they are not making any revenue off of me. Maybe sometime in 2019?
Maybe not from u today or tmr, because of the massive q at the front door. But despite ur disappointment, if u know u can be at the front of the q, u will be back. And if that is the case, they have achieved their objective.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:12 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Only one of those listed is a 'brand within a brand'. Does Rolex limit Daytona production to sell more lower-end watches? Did Ferrari limit Speciale production to sell more Californias? Sure, maybe, but it is a dangerous game...what are you offering your GT3 customers that have $150-200k to spend on a sports car? A Turbo? Not a likely substitute. These buyers are going to go elsewhere, and taking their brand loyalty with them. I already have, and Porsche knows that people like me will not come back without available product.
Simple
1 of the srrongest huMans driver
the ppl want what they can t get =ambition (WARS TELL YOU NoTHING???)

the brand limit certain products
the most can t get them remaining with an eroding I WANT

until to satisfy the hole a base carrera /S/GTS /
any porsche stamped product will relieve their pain for not getting the first I WANT

we call them
the Porsche new junkies
Old 09-15-2017, 08:25 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

PAG are marketing masters.. The fix we all need, come from the hits they offer.. This poop is worse then H.. I think this a genius move, in which they get to see the take rate before building anything.. I'm guessing ( and hoping) that they will see the frenzy and cash in on it by pumping out cars... *fingers crossed*
Old 09-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
This is PORSCHE, the master of "Marketing."

If this is the current Steak menu:
1.) TURBO S Exclusive Series - Rare (500 Copies)
2.) 911R - Medium Rare (991 Copies)
3.) GT3 991.2 - Medium (Production numbers unknown as it just got launched)
4.) GT3RS 991.1 - Medium Well (Most got allocation as long as not too late to the party)
5.) All other 911 variants e.g., GTS, Targa, Carrera, etc. - Well Done
Don't forget...

991.2 Speedster, which will be essentially a 911 R cabriolet. Just 356 copies. Stay tuned.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes and thank your for the reminder. I almost forgot and agree. That is on the top shelf on the butcher shop just because 356 copies. Oh boy, the soon to be Unobtanium.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Lapis
Don't forget...

991.2 Speedster, which will be essentially a 911 R cabriolet. Just 356 copies. Stay tuned.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Don't forget...

Only being offered to Porsche VIP Cabriolet owners.

.......No, really.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

With the optional chrome trim around the window and the chrome "Porsche" on the rear, why hasn't anyone thought this may be Porsche going after Singer customers????

Maybe the R isn't the impitus... maybe it's Singer
Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
With the optional chrome trim around the window and the chrome "Porsche" on the rear, why hasn't anyone thought this may be Porsche going after Singer customers????

Singer alone has definitely been upping Porsche's classic rest business they are rolling out all over the country...
Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 PM
InnovateGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMgunner

You could be onto something here...

Singer has how long of a waiting list for a pure drivers car? Looks like Porsche has offered a rebuttal of choice for someone willing to spend north of $150k. Sure, there's a disparity between cost ($400k vs. $200 max) but when those buyers were once Turbo S or GT3RS customers, the easier to obtain GT3 Touring suddenly swings customers back to Porsche?

Quick Reply: What Message is Porsche sending GT buyers with the new touring pkg