Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question I am afraid to ask...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:40 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Dumb question I am afraid to ask...

For my 2015 GT3
I have a set of 19" BBS wheels at my tire machine and a set of 19" Ho Hos ready to lock and load. Precision inst torque wrench here Thursday. Somehow, do not think the other items I need come with the car, like central lock socket or cover wrench.
How screwed am I? Penetration in inches please. (I do have the special grease) May be some FedUPS shipping in my near future? Plan on running them this weekend and need to load the car into trailer sometime Thursday.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I believe the center lock socket comes with the car. You will need a serious breaker bar and either a friend to apply the front brakes or a "tool" to go between the front seat cushion and the brake pedal to stop the front wheels front rotating. Check to centerlock wheel change video.....GL..........in inches, not even getting the tip in....lol....
Old 07-25-2017, 10:57 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

Lol... what you need is under the plastic cover below the windshield in the frunk. Socket and little tool to remove the cap. Cornhole saved...
Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 PM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have PCCB's? If so 19's probably won't work. If steel you might be okay but still a pretty limited set of wheels that will clear the GT3 standard calipers. Assuming that is ok you need a breaker bar and torque wrench capable of 440 ft lbs. The center lock socket is under the hood front compartment in a pretty obvious enclosure. Assuming you've got the grease and a way to jack up each wheel you either need someone to step on the brake while the car is in the air or a pedal depressor.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by loopsandsounds
Do you have PCCB's? If so 19's probably won't work. If steel you might be okay but still a pretty limited set of wheels that will clear the GT3 standard calipers. Assuming that is ok you need a breaker bar and torque wrench capable of 440 ft lbs. The center lock socket is under the hood front compartment in a pretty obvious enclosure. Assuming you've got the grease and a way to jack up each wheel you either need someone to step on the brake while the car is in the air or a pedal depressor.
And someone to hold the steering wheel while torquing the fronts.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:38 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Dumb question, why do people use a breaker bar and not an impact wrench to remove? I totally get using a torque wrench to install, but getting it off why not use an impact gun? IR half inch are probably enough and IR 3/4in will rip off a rivet on the HMS Warspite.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

^ the nut is alum. impact gun will kill the nut. if yo udont mind it chewed up , impact gun is good idea
Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
For my 2015 GT3
I have a set of 19" BBS wheels at my tire machine and a set of 19" Ho Hos ready to lock and load. Precision inst torque wrench here Thursday. Somehow, do not think the other items I need come with the car, like central lock socket or cover wrench.
How screwed am I? Penetration in inches please. (I do have the special grease) May be some FedUPS shipping in my near future? Plan on running them this weekend and need to load the car into trailer sometime Thursday.
Let me know if your centerlock socket is missing. I can lend you mine.

Dark blue metallic GT3s matter.

Alan

Old 07-26-2017, 08:31 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Let me know if your centerlock socket is missing. I can lend you mine.

Dark blue metallic GT3s matter.

Alan

Are you trying to say you will be happy to see my DBM GT3 there with Hoosiers, and running in another class? I'm wanting to load my car Thursday because it is supposed to rain most of Friday and loading in the rain sucks.

Thanks everybody, only place I did not look was under there. Torque wrench will be here Thursday but wheels may be mounted and on the car by then, torque to spec on site if that happens.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

IF you are changing wheels for the first time, give yourself plenty of extra time--this is not a 10 minute job like normal 5 lug wheels

also wear gloves and don't use a lot of the aluminum paste, as that silver paste is hard to get off skin, clothes, nut, rims etc

mind the directional arrows on the center lock nut also

at should be 2 seconds per minutes faster in R7's than Cup 2's
Old 07-26-2017, 10:40 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Are you trying to say you will be happy to see my DBM GT3 there with Hoosiers, and running in another class?
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking.

I'll have plenty of competition in the street tire class. Walter is making his return to autocross in his DBM GT3.

Quick Reply: Dumb question I am afraid to ask...