Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New selling philosophy at Porsche GT? Has the door re-opened for a manual GT3 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:38 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New selling philosophy at Porsche GT? Has the door re-opened for a manual GT3 RS?

Yes, I know a lot of you want to kill me right now for this topic.

Listen, the new GT2 RS has no maximum production number set for the first time ever in a high-end 'limited edition' type 911. They do not want investors and non-enthusiasts buying these cars period.

With the GT3 RS yet to be unveiled, I feel even though Andreas Preuinger has stated more than once that the GT3 RS will not have a manual, at this point with VAG in control, why wouldn't they allow the manual to be built to maximize plant production and further dissuade individuals from trying to flip, and further increase Porsche profits. Just build over 5000 of the damn things. They would all sell before reaching dealerships.

I for one have a deposit on the GT3 RS but will only buy if it they change their minds and sell with a manual. It's already been developed in the .2 GT3 and an extra 25-50hp should not require any modification to the transmission. Is there a surprise at the very end of this generation where they tell us it will come with a manual and shock the automotive world? Would be the best driver's car in the world without question. I think the reputation and fanfare it would create would solidify Porsche's reputation on the top as well. If I were an exec at Porsche I would make sure the GT3 RS came in a manual. Porsche would separate itself from Ferrari and Lambo to the serious car enthusiasts doing this just one more time. And I own a 997.2 GT3 RS, not worried about mine being the last of it's kind. Just my 2 cents. Then PDK and manual guys could both rejoice.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:16 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe this will happen, for this reason. Porsche brings out the .1GT3 in PDK S only, pisses off the MT purist, forces it down our throats or stay without one and get's us into the PDK S.
Then the .1GT3RS comes out, once again, PDK S only, Porsche has us believing it's now the future, only PDK S in GT cars.
Now we have the .2GT3 with a MT option, only to continue to have AP saying the next GT3RS will be PDK S only. So now some of the MT purists who refused to get the .1 will need the .2GT3....BUT YOU JUST WAIT, the .2GT3RS will also be offered with a MT option. Porsche continues to toy with us and will market their GT cars forever, knowing the purist will continue to get on their knees wanting the latest and greatest. Just my .02
Old 07-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I believe this will happen, for this reason. Porsche brings out the .1GT3 in PDK S only, pisses off the MT purist, forces it down our throats or stay without one and get's us into the PDK S.
Then the .1GT3RS comes out, once again, PDK S only, Porsche has us believing it's now the future, only PDK S in GT cars.
Now we have the .2GT3 with a MT option, only to continue to have AP saying the next GT3RS will be PDK S only. So now some of the MT purists who refused to get the .1 will need the .2GT3....BUT YOU JUST WAIT, the .2GT3RS will also be offered with a MT option. Porsche continues to toy with us and will market their GT cars forever, knowing the purist will continue to get on their knees wanting the latest and greatest. Just my .02
Very logical.

However, I think Porsche will only do this incrementally. Porsche brass agreed to manual option for .2 GT3. They will then assess what the .2 GT3 manual uptake was for the entire production run, and only then at that time will they make a decision on a possible manual for the 992 RS.......as the 991.2 RS will already halfway through its production run by that point.

So I don't see a manual happening for the 991.2 RS but I could see a manual option happening for the 992 RS if the manual .2 GT3 is very popular.

Last edited by Drifting; 07-01-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:17 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It's hearsay, but I was told by a couple of 918 owners that they were told by Porsche personnel that they are seriously looking at making the .2 GT3 RS in a manual. I guess uptake on the GT3 manual will help the decision.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:49 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shizzle
It's hearsay, but I was told by a couple of 918 owners that they were told by Porsche personnel that they are seriously looking at making the .2 GT3 RS in a manual. I guess uptake on the GT3 manual will help the decision.
It doesn't surprise me, I'm sure it's a serious consideration atm.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:57 AM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

Location: Where I get the fresh scent of spent Jet Fuel & see Cold Smoke!
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries

Listen, the new GT2 RS has no maximum production number set for the first time ever in a high-end 'limited edition' type 911. :
is this really true...i.e. If you put a request in for one you're pretty much guaranteed to get one?
Old 07-02-2017, 12:30 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 17bhub
is this really true...i.e. If you put a request in for one you're pretty much guaranteed to get one?
No, it does not mean that. It means they'll produce as many cars as the parts suppliers and factory can handle. It is highly likely that this number will still be less than the number of orders placed. A large percentage of people walk away from their deposits though.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

Location: Where I get the fresh scent of spent Jet Fuel & see Cold Smoke!
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Bummer- just a little too optimistic
Old 07-02-2017, 11:52 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries

Listen, the new GT2 RS has no maximum production number set for the first time ever in a high-end 'limited edition' type 911. They do not want investors and non-enthusiasts buying these cars period.

With the GT3 RS yet to be unveiled, I feel even though Andreas Preuinger has stated more than once that the GT3 RS will not have a manual, at this point with VAG in control, why wouldn't they allow the manual to be built to maximize plant production and further dissuade individuals from trying to flip, and further increase Porsche profits. Just build over 5000 of the damn things. They would all sell before reaching dealerships.

I for one have a deposit on the GT3 RS but will only buy if it they change their minds and sell with a manual. It's already been developed in the .2 GT3 and an extra 25-50hp should not require any modification to the transmission. Is there a surprise at the very end of this generation where they tell us it will come with a manual and shock the automotive world? Would be the best driver's car in the world without question. I think the reputation and fanfare it would create would solidify Porsche's reputation on the top as well. If I were an exec at Porsche I would make sure the GT3 RS came in a manual. Porsche would separate itself from Ferrari and Lambo to the serious car enthusiasts doing this just one more time. And I own a 997.2 GT3 RS, not worried about mine being the last of it's kind. Just my 2 cents. Then PDK and manual guys could both rejoice.
I like the way you think. IMHO, going forward, unless Porsche goes mid engine and FI, there is really no point in talking about "lap times". So now we can get rid of rear steer and get a MT back in the GT cars. In 15 years electric cars from porsche are going to dominate and this divide between people immersing themselves in the golden days and those embracing new tech are probably going to look at the 997 differently.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:02 AM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope they don't. I think the reason to go RS is that you get as close to a race version as possible. They are not putting the 6MT in the race cars. Let the GT3 be the enthusiast model is my opinion. Oh by the way, if they won't build the manual and you refuse the order, I will gladly take the allocation for you!
Old 07-03-2017, 12:11 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sdq7
I hope they don't. I think the reason to go RS is that you get as close to a race version as possible. They are not putting the 6MT in the race cars. Let the GT3 be the enthusiast model is my opinion. Oh by the way, if they won't build the manual and you refuse the order, I will gladly take the allocation for you!
+1 - 3 RS should be as close as possible to the RSR. Would be great if it was mid-engined. They'll release a 991.2 911R style car, might be called something different but it'll be the street focused NA 991.2. GT3 has always been the tweener car, makes sense to offer it in both transmissions.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:41 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdq7
Originally Posted by NateOZ
+1 - 3 RS should be as close as possible to the RSR. Would be great if it was mid-engined. They'll release a 991.2 911R style car, might be called something different but it'll be the street focused NA 991.2. GT3 has always been the tweener car, makes sense to offer it in both transmissions.
You can justify anything you want. There shouldn't be any white, black, grey or silver cars as these are 'track cars' and should only have fun bright colours only. Or there should only be one seat to save weight, and a second passenger seat should be available at an extra cost to help reduce weight, or there should only be bucket seats, no standard seats as an option, or no exhaust should be standard incase it's a track only car (quiet turbo).

If it was free for them to develop any option, EVERYTHING would be an option. They are cost cutting strategically by not developing a manual as the ROI is potentially bad. That's the ONLY reason it doesn't exist.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Lets just see how many people really buy the manual GT3.That will be the real gauge????
Old 07-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,089 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
Lets just see how many people really buy the manual GT3.That will be the real gauge????
Agreed 100%

By the way, I just got my most recent issue of Automobile Magazine in the mail the other day and there was an interview of Porsche North America President and CEO, Klaus Zellmer. He stated that their biggest single complaint from the dealers was that they couldn't get their hands on enough 911's.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/kl...ent-interview/

I've also heard that Porsche is getting pretty tired of the "flipping" game.

Seems to me that the way to pretty much alleviate all of these issues and create a WIN/WIN situation for all parties involved, is to simply increase production, and specifically GT car production with various optionality. I'm hoping this is in the works!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I think a MT GT3 RS is like the Hellcat. All the PR and awesome reviews of the HC bring people into the dealership, at which point they buy an SUV. The reviews are awesome for the MT in the GT3, and it creates buzz and gets people excited...to buy the PDK.

At this point, I think Porsche has to offer a MT with the RS. Otherwise every review will ding it for being PDK only.

Quick Reply: New selling philosophy at Porsche GT? Has the door re-opened for a manual GT3 RS?