Sponsored by:

2018 GT3 front axle lift system

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
I never had issue with the 991.1, like I did with the 997.2. My 997 would work when it wanted too. The 991 system operates faster and always works.
good to know...

Originally Posted by Jnosol
You live in FL, isn't that the flattest state? J/K

With the 911 GTS I had, if the front doesn't clear at an angle I can at least back into a steep driveway. However, the new GT3 has the 911R lower diffuser so can't do the back in method. That's why I gave in and ordered it with the lift.

my GTS *always* scrapes on the way out of my driveway - I wish I had FAL on it... while approaching any obstruction at an angle (not 90) helps its not
always possible, or a remedy (like the speed bumps in the Oracle HQ parking
structure that I once tore the silencer off of my RSA on!) ...
Old 06-07-2017, 04:12 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

For my experience I have always ordered it for a "just in case" situations where the potential to scrape the front lip is there. In terms of added weight to the car, I think it is merely five pounds (+/-) additional weight due to hydraulic fluids. Lift is a good to have.

On my GT4 where that did come as an option, I am more careful and selective where to drive my GT4. Just my $0.02.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 06-07-2017, 04:29 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
For my experience I have always ordered it for a "just in case" situations where the potential to scrape the front lip is there. In terms of added weight to the car, I think it is merely five pounds (+/-) additional weight due to hydraulic fluids. Lift is a good to have.

On my GT4 where that did come as an option, I am more careful and selective where to drive my GT4. Just my $0.02.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
I read somewhere that it is actually around 8kgs.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full disclosure, I have specced the FAL in my build, but I haven't locked yet and I'm still on the fence. I have a GT4 and scrape the front lip all the time, and as long as I've had the car I've bitched about it not having the lift. On the other hand, you can buy about ten replacement lips (GT4 lips anyway, not sure how much more .2 GT3 lips will be) for the cost of the lift!

At the end of the day I'll probably get it because as others have said, upon resale, not having one is more likely to be a deal-breaker than having one.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:31 AM
FRZA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone know the height difference between 911 4S and GT3?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:12 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FRZA
Anyone know the height difference between 911 4S and GT3?
I think it's 3cm lower over the sports suspension in regular carrera. But keep in mind that it is not only the ride height but mostly the long front overhang.

With the lift you will be scraping all the time but it will let you get to places otherwise you would not be able to reach.
It also happened to me on occasions that without the lift I would just stop the car and the whole traffic behind.
No lift sometimes is risking serious damage to the front of the car. It all depends where you gonna be driving. But do you really know all the streets?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:48 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I had it on my .1 and will spec it for the .2 as well. Like a pistol, you don't need it often, but when you do the need is real.
What part of the world do you live that you've needed your pistol, even if infrequently? I thought owning a GT3 would let you make a quick exit out of trouble.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

So according to STGs info post, the front lip on the .2GT3 is 3.465"... and FAL gives you 1.5" for a total of 4.965"... I took the tape measure out and my SPASM .1 front lip is about 5.5", so even lifted the .2GT3 is about half an inch lower. I'm pretty adept at the angled approach, and still get an occaisional slight scrape. If I get an allocaton for the GT3, I'll definitely be speccing the FAL.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
I have it and never used it. Most places I can just angle my approach more and it's enough.
Ditto
Old 06-12-2017, 08:51 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

The fact that it's offered as an option should tell you something. I find it useful. Without it my jacks and quickjack lift wouldn't fit under the car. Getting on a trailer would be even more painful.

Annoyances are: The connection to the bottoms of the front shocks is annoying if you do your own brake work because it makes it that much harder to get the brake line brackets off. I still scrape even though I have it. Hard to engage the lift when hittting the curbing at speed at your local track.

But you must keep in mind scraping the front lip isn't the issue. It's a wear item and cheap to replace. If you crack the front bumper cover over a speed bump that's a 5000$ part plus paint to replace.

Only you can decide if it's worth it.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:13 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Had two Gt3's and now Rs and never scrape at all without lift. Now my 997 GT3 scraped all the time!
Old 06-13-2017, 01:24 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

To all the owners mentioning approach angle, etc, lol.. How many of you live in a city with 2 lane roads and speedbumps? How do you approach this scenario on an angle while you have traffic in front, behind and off to the side of you?
-You can't! LoL

While I can fix my own driveway entrance with asphalt, etc.. I can't change the city roads nor can I pay to fix the many underground parking garage entrances I will be frequenting and so FAL will be invaluable for someone who lives and drives in a major city.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:01 PM
mose121
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
I read somewhere that it is actually around 8kgs.
Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
All the FAL components (air compressor, strut pneumatics, control unit, air lines, and wiring) weighs approximately 7 kg (15.4 lbs.). It's also located very low in the chassis so no issues with a higher center of gravity affecting handling/chassis dynamics. The extra 15 lbs is negligible, and if anything provides a slightly better balance with a little extra weight on the front axle.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:17 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use mine almost every day, probably more so than needed.. If I have any question whatsoever, I use it. It takes two seconds to lift and eliminates virtually any concerns one might have. Its also great for peace of mind.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:09 PM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

IMO, I feel that the FAL is a mandatory option for my geographic region in CT. There are many curbs and speed bumps that are barely negotiable even with the front end raised. The FAL raises up in seconds, and deflates quickly, and I use it all the time. It has also been reliable. My local dealer indicated that he has a difficult time selling GT3s without the FAL option, if resale matters to you. I had the FAL on my 2015 991.1 GT3, and I am extremely happy that I did. I have optioned the FAL on my 2019 purchase.

Quick Reply: 2018 GT3 front axle lift system