991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:36 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
WTF is this now?

I am just sharing other steps I am taking while waiting for the meeting response. Any specific questions?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:30 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I wanted to give you guys an update. I have spoken with quite a few people, and had numerous email and PM exchanges. I have also had some very productive and informative discussions with people more knowledge of this engine problem than myself. I figured I would give you some insight into my thinking.

First, I do not think all engines are susceptible to this problem. It really comes down to the tolerances that your specific engine was built with. The problem with the finger followers is that a thin film of oil may or may not have enough room to form. In some cases, such as in OrthoJoe's case, there is most likely enough room between the finger followers and the cams to get sufficient oiling. This is just a guess, but that would explain why some people have engine problems after little usage, and others don't after heavy usage.

And this brings me to the next point. How do you know if your engine is wearing like Joe's or not? There is really only one way to find out. You need to drop your engine and have a look. Only then will you know what is really going on.

Let's say you have a qualified shop drop your engine, and pop the valve covers. At this point you see that you have pretty minimal/almost no wear. My recommendation would be one of two options:

1. Run Mobil 1 5w-50 (or A40 approved) , do frequent oil changes (say after 3,000 miles) and don't think about this again.
2. Run race headers without cats, and use an oil high in Zinc/Phosphorus. Something from AMSOil or Motul.

As far as number 2 is concerned, high zinc/phosphorus oils are not good for cats, but they are good for engines otherwise. Better oil can mitigate this, especially if you already have minimal/no wear.

If you pop those covers and see a little wear, I would take lots of pictures and then push Porsche for a top end fix right now, before the CEL comes on. Waiting until the CEL will most likely have already caused a lot of internal damage. Not guaranteed, but likely IMO.

If you pop the covers and see significant wear, you need to push like crazy for a new engine. That metal went somewhere. New heads/finger followers/cams aren't going to fix that, and that damage might not expose itself until after your warranty expires. Getting Porsche to replace your engine now is critical.

One last point. If I do get a new G engine at some point (or new top end), the first thing I am going to do is put race headers on, and run high zinc/phosphorus oil. That, combined with the new head design and DLC cams, should make the car reliable for many, many years.

In summary, you have NO IDEA what is going on under those valve covers. You may be thinking about this topic a lot, and there might be zero wear going on. The only way you are going to know for sure is to have a qualified shop drop your engine and take a look. Then, and only then will you have the knowledge you need to plan your next steps. It could also help you with resale, to document no issues, or just for peace of mind. You could be worrying over nothing, or you could be damaging your engine right now.

One final comment on Dundon. There is also a good chance that Jamie and Charles will come up with a great fix at some point. Someone else might as well. But my strategy is not about waiting for anything to happen. I want to know what is happening now, and then act accordingly. I am not a fan of waiting around for anything.

Personally, I am going to take my car in and have the engine dropped within the next month or so. I will post pictures, and I plan on sharing this information with Porsche, if and when our meeting is held. If enough of us do this, the data we do discover may help motivate Porsche for a fix, or demonstrate that the problem is really not as bad as advertised.

Rob
Rob all you are finally writing was well discussed and known since long time on Rennlist

instead taking pictures of the panorama or congrat with this or that member
you should read more this forum

and if you don t undersrand don t be shy

just ask, somebody here will help you
Old 05-11-2017, 06:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by fxz
Rob all you are finally writing was well discussed and known since long time on Rennlist

instead taking pictures of the panorama or congrat with this or that member
you should read more this forum

and if you don t undersrand don t be shy

just ask, somebody here will help you
I know much of this was written about and discussed, as I directly participated in a lot of those discussions. Not sure where your attitude comes from? And, if you recall I am the first person on this board to actually take steps to address this problem. So...not sure what exactly you are talking about. LOL
Old 05-11-2017, 07:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob, ignore him. What you've done so far is very much appreciated by all (well, doesn't look like all, only one doesn't seem appreciative). I applaud you, and very much looking forward to what you find after you drop your engine. Well done.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:18 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
Rob, ignore him. What you've done so far is very much appreciated by all (well, doesn't look like all, only one doesn't seem appreciative). I applaud you, and very much looking forward to what you find after you drop your engine. Well done.
I appreciate that Bronson. I think cracking the covers will give myself and the community more info, and I don't see the harm in doing it. It isn't like I've decided to give up on a solution. Just another path.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Greatly appreciate the effort. It's takes lot of time to do what you did. We all are very grateful.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Rob good on you mate , as the saying states "Keep Calm and Carry On "

Much appreciated effort on your part by many without a doubt !!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:19 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I wanted to give you guys an update. I have spoken with quite a few people, and had numerous email and PM exchanges. I have also had some very productive and informative discussions with people more knowledge of this engine problem than myself. I figured I would give you some insight into my thinking.

First, I do not think all engines are susceptible to this problem. It really comes down to the tolerances that your specific engine was built with. The problem with the finger followers is that a thin film of oil may or may not have enough room to form. In some cases, such as in OrthoJoe's case, there is most likely enough room between the finger followers and the cams to get sufficient oiling. This is just a guess, but that would explain why some people have engine problems after little usage, and others don't after heavy usage.

And this brings me to the next point. How do you know if your engine is wearing like Joe's or not? There is really only one way to find out. You need to drop your engine and have a look. Only then will you know what is really going on.

Let's say you have a qualified shop drop your engine, and pop the valve covers. At this point you see that you have pretty minimal/almost no wear. My recommendation would be one of two options:

1. Run Mobil 1 5w-50 (or A40 approved) , do frequent oil changes (say after 3,000 miles) and don't think about this again.
2. Run race headers without cats, and use an oil high in Zinc/Phosphorus. Something from AMSOil or Motul.

As far as number 2 is concerned, high zinc/phosphorus oils are not good for cats, but they are good for engines otherwise. Better oil can mitigate this, especially if you already have minimal/no wear.

If you pop those covers and see a little wear, I would take lots of pictures and then push Porsche for a top end fix right now, before the CEL comes on. Waiting until the CEL will most likely have already caused a lot of internal damage. Not guaranteed, but likely IMO.

If you pop the covers and see significant wear, you need to push like crazy for a new engine. That metal went somewhere. New heads/finger followers/cams aren't going to fix that, and that damage might not expose itself until after your warranty expires. Getting Porsche to replace your engine now is critical.

One last point. If I do get a new G engine at some point (or new top end), the first thing I am going to do is put race headers on, and run high zinc/phosphorus oil. That, combined with the new head design and DLC cams, should make the car reliable for many, many years.

In summary, you have NO IDEA what is going on under those valve covers. You may be thinking about this topic a lot, and there might be zero wear going on. The only way you are going to know for sure is to have a qualified shop drop your engine and take a look. Then, and only then will you have the knowledge you need to plan your next steps. It could also help you with resale, to document no issues, or just for peace of mind. You could be worrying over nothing, or you could be damaging your engine right now.

One final comment on Dundon. There is also a good chance that Jamie and Charles will come up with a great fix at some point. Someone else might as well. But my strategy is not about waiting for anything to happen. I want to know what is happening now, and then act accordingly. I am not a fan of waiting around for anything.

Personally, I am going to take my car in and have the engine dropped within the next month or so. I will post pictures, and I plan on sharing this information with Porsche, if and when our meeting is held. If enough of us do this, the data we do discover may help motivate Porsche for a fix, or demonstrate that the problem is really not as bad as advertised.

Rob

not very encouraging
Old 05-11-2017, 11:51 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So all this group action was to write at the end don't worry about your engines? Not all of them have issues?
With some technical brain farts between the lines?
Drop my engine and have a look at the heads?

It's a joke. Either way good luck with the outcome.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:54 AM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 147 Posts

Thank you Rob
Old 05-12-2017, 12:03 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I think some people are interpreting my last post to mean somehow I am throwing in the towel, which obviously isn't the case. Sending the letter to Porsche was the first step in a multi-step process. We need to be thinking about our next moves, and how Porsche will likely respond to those moves.

But there is another side to this. We all assume that our engines are ticking time-bombs, and given enough miles they will all exhibit this problem. Do we really know that to be true? Sure, we are concerned. But we have 35 to 40 examples of this problem. I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet.

For example, what if 10 of us did an engine inspection, and zero or only one showed any wear? Wouldn't that finding likely change the entire conversation around our cars? I think it would.

On the same token, what if the same inspections showed 7 or 8 with mild to high wear? Wouldn't that finding give us much more leverage in talks with Porsche (or in anything else that comes later)? Of course it would.

Going to Porsche and telling them our engines were designed wrong may or may not even be accurate. Popping the covers on our engines may bring some clarity, and it may impact the moves we make (individually, and as a group) in the future.

BTW, everyone should have their letters by early next week.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

Rob, a word of advice. Let Porsche decide what if anything needs to be done. It is not helpful to your case publically speculating on the course of action for the owners. You've accomplished your goal putting Porsche on notice. The ball now is in their court.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
Rob, a word of advice. Let Porsche decide what if anything needs to be done. It is not helpful to your case publically speculating on the course of action for the owners. You've accomplished your goal putting Porsche on notice. The ball now is in their court.
The ball is definitely in their court, Nick. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:23 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Popping the covers on our engines may bring some clarity, and it may impact the moves we make (individually, and as a group) in the future.
What is the cost of this engine examination?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:44 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
What is the cost of this engine examination?
i will post the cost once i know.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group