Brake failure at 140 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,851 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345
I also drive a RS, please tell me what you pay for a full brake fluid swap?

What year is your RS?

Also do they use a pwiz?
once in a blue moon, you need piwis to cycle the ABS to flush. but not every time, inc 991RS. just bleed it the old fashion way.

now PDK fluid in 991RS needs piwis else you cannot do it
Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Ditch the aftermarket brake lines. Junk.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

99.9% of brake line failures I've read about have been aftermarket. Stay OEM!! Neighbor put stainless brake lines on his CLK Black Series and had a brake failure on track. An attachment point failed. Luckily he and the car were okay too. I've always had pretty good luck on track because I've stayed as close to OEM as possible. The engineering that goes into OEM parts is dramatically better than most aftermarket.

OP, glad you and the car are okay.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brownan
Ditch the aftermarket brake lines. Junk.
x100
Old 04-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Sorry to hear. Had your stainless line been worn through or another soft line? Scary!
Originally Posted by Spyerx
911 desgn?

1000 for what?
Replacing s brake line a bleeding brakes and a tow?
Be polite, deal with them to get this right then learn from your failure and never use them again and name them here
Old 04-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dwight this is Mark the guy with the other white GT3 who was parked next to you at the "day away" earlier this year. That is really scary to be coming into turn 3 with no brakes. That is the hardest braking on the course and the speeds are very high. Yes very lucky that there is easy run off and no cars in front of you.
I'm on you're side with the shop. If you pay a shop to replace your brake lines, you are certainly expecting them to do it in a way as to not cause a brake failure. The fact that they did shoddy work means that they should absolutely fix it at their own cost. Give me a brake. (No pun intended). Glad you are safe
Old 04-28-2017, 01:22 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 424 Posts

Glad you and the car are in one piece. Why would you replace the line in the first place? Fluid, pads, done.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:31 PM
Humberto Roca
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow thats a shame but thank god you are ok, now the shop shouldnt be charging you if it wasnt you who installed it, first thing is it nver should have rubbed se ond a zip tie is not a permnent fix not even a safe thing to do.

IMO just talk to the owner and let them figure it out without you paying a cent.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:02 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
T
It was my bad luck that this happened
No, it was your VERY VERY good luck.

I had a similar incident on track with my 997TT. No brakes after fast curve and before hairpin. I was also very very lucky to get away with no damage but brakes.

I believe it's the luckiest possible way to discover you have no brakes on track. No collision, no damage to yourself, other drivers, other cars and your car. It's a very good luck.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:52 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Sorry to hear. Had your stainless line been worn through or another soft line? Scary!
It was the stainless line to the r/rear caliper. I suspect a very small hole was worn through on the banking; when I hammered the brake pedal to slow for turn 3 I'm sure the small hole suddenly enlarged with the sudden pressure increase.

DMoore
'15 GT3
Old 04-28-2017, 06:54 PM
DMoore
Pro

Originally Posted by Wooly1
Hey Dwight this is Mark the guy with the other white GT3 who was parked next to you at the "day away" earlier this year. That is really scary to be coming into turn 3 with no brakes. That is the hardest braking on the course and the speeds are very high. Yes very lucky that there is easy run off and no cars in front of you.
I'm on you're side with the shop. If you pay a shop to replace your brake lines, you are certainly expecting them to do it in a way as to not cause a brake failure. The fact that they did shoddy work means that they should absolutely fix it at their own cost. Give me a brake. (No pun intended). Glad you are safe
Thanks. If I had to miss a day I'm glad it was Saturday - the heat was miserable. I was back out on Sunday, but never got my times down to what I'd hoped. Fast car -- needs a faster driver!

I'm still waiting to hear back from the shop involved.

DMoore
'15 GT3
Old 04-28-2017, 06:55 PM
DMoore
Pro

Originally Posted by Humberto Roca
Wow thats a shame but thank god you are ok, now the shop shouldnt be charging you if it wasnt you who installed it, first thing is it nver should have rubbed se ond a zip tie is not a permnent fix not even a safe thing to do.

IMO just talk to the owner and let them figure it out without you paying a cent.
I've had a "chat" with the manager, who is awaiting the return of the shop's owner. I'm not going to start trashing anyone until I see how this plays out. I agree the zip tie is a very temporary solution.

DMoore
'15 GT3
Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,136 Likes on 2,893 Posts

It was the stainless line to the r/rear caliper. I suspect a very small hole was worn through on the banking; when I hammered the brake pedal to slow for turn 3 I'm sure the small hole suddenly enlarged with the sudden pressure increase.

DMoore
'15 GT3
Sounds very frightening. I would have thought you'd still have some braking though - I think you should have just lost one of the two curcuits (left front and right rear is one and right front and left rear the other). Maybe you knew something was badly wrong and didn't attempt to stand on the brakes given the run-off area?
Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 PM
Humberto Roca
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a "chat" with the manager, who is awaiting the return of the shop's owner. I'm not going to start trashing anyone until I see how this plays out. I agree the zip tie is a very temporary solution.

DMoore
'15 GT3
Good luck with it, and please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Brake failure at 140 mph