Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS worth it for .2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Don't do PTS. It's a waste of your money. I'll trade you a standard color allocation to save you the aggravation.

Troll thread? Nah.

Maybe you guys can help me decide if I should buy the next RS at MSRP on an early allocation.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I'd ignore resale other than knowing with confidence that it will hold it's value at very worst. You'll get your money back out of it for sure. If you really have a chance to get a PTS GT3 I'd HIGHLY recommend taking that opportunity.
+1 this!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Personally, I would gladly pay the premium for PTS. TonyMission is absolutely right about hitting the lottery. If you can get it, take it. Its a special opportunity. Obviously, if you love GR or Chalk you are all set, but PTS gives you the opportunity to have a very unique build. You will most certainly improve your resale if you choose wisely, at least in the short-term. With Chalk being a premium color already, PTS is not that much more. Be bold! Different rules apply to GT3s. They look amazing in unique colors. If it were me, I would be torn between Riveria Blue and Mexico Blue, both highly coveted colors in the Porsche community.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 214 Posts

I thought PTS on the new GT3 was 10k
Old 04-24-2017, 10:27 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
^^ me too
Birch green is also in my top 3, along with Mexico and either Signal or Viper green. Oh yeah, then there's Signal yellow. Hell, I hope I don't have to worry about it b/c it would drive me crazy. Great problem to have I guess.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 this!

See what I mean? Just awesome!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

if you dont have a color you will literally kill for, then you dont have a PTS color need.
colior is personal thing.
by labeling a color PTS doesnt add to it.
many love smurf blue variants. i wont buy one even if it's 50k below mkt.
why, b/c i bought one and realized that blue is really not my color. and sold it for way less than i paid for it. pts makes sense if you know YOUR COLOR.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:51 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if you dont have a color you will literally kill for, then you dont have a PTS color need.
why, b/c i bought one and realized that blue is really not my color. and sold it for way less than i paid for it. pts makes sense if you know YOUR COLOR.
I agree with this. Keep in mind, sometimes the "idea" of having a car in one of these colors is better than actually having it. I would also not think of the value proposition, but consider the unique visceral feeling the color gives you and whether or not its a color that makes you want to drive the car more....or to just look at it in a garage.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:57 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

totally agree with this. I know that PTS of rare blues and greens is the cool thing for GT cars, but they do nothing for me. I would actually pay less for a GT3 in those colors than one of the reds.

So PTS doesn't mean much to me, I'm just focusing on getting a .2 GT3 at MSRP with european delivery. I don't need PTS fortunately, or I might have to sacrifice ED or MSRP to get it.

But as Mooty said, color is subjective. If you really like one of the less common blues and greens, then the PTS fee is totally worth it as you'll love your car more, and you'll definitely make back the $7000 if you sell your car in the next 7 years.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Only color I would pay a PTS markup is Liquid Metal Silver.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ hahah, i would too
Old 04-25-2017, 05:01 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

+1

If you don't already know which color you want (or have at least a short list), then you don't need a PTS car.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM
whatif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify what I'm asking, I personally don't have any PTS colors that I would truly kill for. Sure there are some great colors, but it doesn't make enough of a difference for me personally over the standard colors to justify 7k. I get the most enjoyment from driving the car, not from being the only X color at the local C&C meet -- that doesn't do anything for me.

But many people here seem to think that getting a PTS slot is like getting a gift from the gods, or hitting the lotto, so that makes me wonder if it's worth it. What I mean by that is if it is in fact true that PTS cars sell for a premium, then why wouldn't I take it? Even if I'm ok with GR / GT Silver personally, if someone is giving you free money, of course you should take it. That's a no brainer.

The question is if that's actually true. Is there any empirical market evidence to support the claim that PTS cars sell for a premium, or it is all just speculation and hype?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by whatif
Just to clarify what I'm asking, I personally don't have any PTS colors that I would truly kill for. Sure there are some great colors, but it doesn't make enough of a difference for me personally over the standard colors to justify 7k. I get the most enjoyment from driving the car, not from being the only X color at the local C&C meet -- that doesn't do anything for me.

But many people here seem to think that getting a PTS slot is like getting a gift from the gods, or hitting the lotto, so that makes me wonder if it's worth it. What I mean by that is if it is in fact true that PTS cars sell for a premium, then why wouldn't I take it? Even if I'm ok with GR / GT Silver personally, if someone is giving you free money, of course you should take it. That's a no brainer.

The question is if that's actually true. Is there any empirical market evidence to support the claim that PTS cars sell for a premium, or it is all just speculation and hype?
And your next question will invariably be which color will bring you the highest premium, i.e. the most "free money."
Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^Xactly...

Quick Reply: PTS worth it for .2 GT3?