Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How good is your driving environment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 05:13 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
This will sound very adult, yes i also have driven way too fast on traffic road. But getting the gt3 it is for track. If you do not intend more or less ever to track it get a carerra s (it now is a great car)
driving "spririted" is dangereous for everyone. Try taking it to the
track. And ps the clip w the cup car on normal roads, that IS NOT cool! Sprited driving on track very cool, endangering others lifes not ok!
I've seen dangerous drivers on the track as well as on the street, if no one was injured who cares?

I live in Florida which gives me two driving choices: turn left or turn right.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:14 PM
80s
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Where in Europe do you live??
why?
Old 03-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Its complete **** here in South Florida..

There is a short stretch on Siesta Key that is a bit winding and even some elevation change at a small bridge.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Okay Rob, just told my wife, we're moving to Denver. Looking forward to some of your video's.
LOL If you need help with your visas let me know.

Originally Posted by GrantG
Rob - I agree that we have some great roads, but I note a couple advantages of driving in the mountains of places like Switzerland and Germany. The actual road construction quality here is far worse - roads there are built to last, while ours crumble and buckle since they're seemingly built to endlessly employ road crews.

Second is the speed enforcement. It's really easy to lose your license here (and/or make insurance rates skyrocket), while in Europe it's just expensive (especially in switzerland) when you get the photo radar tix in the mail.

And to really safely exercise a fast car, I still really prefer the local track (we'll get you out there eventually and you'll be hooked )
Yeah, our roads are not up to the level of some places in Europe. No arguing there. But compared to say California, our roads are pure heaven! As far as driving fast goes, I am not a WOT kind of guy. I like the twisties, and you can have a lot of fun without doing stupid speeds. And when there's traffic, I am totally mellow.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
One of the reasons Colorado is on my list of potential retirement destinations in a few years. But I'd have to have big HP and/or turbos because the power loss at altitude drives me nuts.

The roads around here are great, at times, but you have to be smart about when and where. Aside from the random deer, our biggest obstacles are bicyclists, who seem to have never met a road too narrow, windy or dangerous for them to ride on. It's critical to never overdrive your sight lines out here, lest you meet a cyclist mid corner right in your lane.
You would be surprised how well my GT3 does, even at this altitude. For twisties, you really don't need that much speed.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan C.
There are a few of us that have found some decent roads in the Smokey Mountains.
I am going to post a full length video of The Western Dragon, and let you guys decide if we are in the same league or not.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by 80s
This will sound very adult, yes i also have driven way too fast on traffic road. But getting the gt3 it is for track. If you do not intend more or less ever to track it get a carerra s (it now is a great car)
track. And ps the clip w the cup car on normal roads, that IS NOT cool! Sprited driving on track very cool, endangering others lifes not ok!
I have fun in the twisties. I leave the full throttle speed blasts for our brothers with turbos. :-)
Old 03-05-2017, 07:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,136 Likes on 2,893 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I have fun in the twisties. I leave the full throttle speed blasts for our brothers with turbos. :-)
+1, rare that I ever feel that my Porsche just needs more power when driving in the mountains...

They're plenty quick (even with altitude losses) to be throughly entertaining between the corners
Old 03-05-2017, 08:25 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
+1, rare that I ever feel that my Porsche just needs more power when driving in the mountains...

They're plenty quick (even with altitude losses) to be throughly entertaining between the corners
Yep Grant, no problem with power up here. And yes, eventually you will get me on the track!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:28 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Spend summers in south Sweden. Roads are like your private race track. Especially before the vegetation grows to high next to the road. After harvest visibility is amazing.
Spending most time in Central Florida. Say no more. Prius or truck is the best car for Florida.
Well, biggest truck is probably safer.

The upside is that Sebring offers a ton of track time.
When I used to sim race a lot, Sebring and Road Atlanta were my favorites tracks in the USA. If I lives there I would have to be a track rat.

Sweden sounds epic! I need to go.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:20 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
I see your point, but it's all about judgement. Spirited road driving with good visibility and no traffic can be a lot of fun. Never racetrack fun. But still a great time behind the wheel.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
A few of us live on the north side of Atlanta (Alpharetta/Milton). This is where the Smokies event begins. Within about 20 minutes you can be into some very fun driving. There lots and lots of different routes you can take so its not the samething every time. sgroer and I have met up at 6:00 am on a weekday, driven for a couple of hours, grabbed breakfast and been at the office by noon. There are also two tracks (AMP and Road Atlanta) within +/- an hour. I wonder if I would be as enamored with the GT3 if I lived in another area.
Having lived in Alpharetta (parents still there, going home next week) and ridden the roads of north Georgia and western North Carolina, I can say that from a pure quality and quantity of turns, there is almost nothing to compare. I also come from milan and I think I have done almost every mountain pass in the alps either on a motorcycle or a car, and can say that those roads have the scenery and the elevation changes, but the quality and quantity of curves that you can find on hwy 28/129/blood mountain/cherohala pass... and areas by the dragon in the Smokey mountains, can't be beaten. There may not be amazing views in smokies, but it's like an infinite racetrack. I'll end with Northern California where I live now, which while possessing some gorgeous scenery, weather, food, and some decent roads along the coast.. just doesn't come close to the Smokies in the SE USA. Not to mention that roads here are riddled with potholes and bumps to the point that your flow is totally ruined.

My ranking is thus:
1. Smokies: best turns, cambered race-track like quality, incredible quantity of roads, and scarcity of people so you can haul ***. Downside is lack of decent food options, no scenery, no cultural options, and somewhat draconian country-bumpkin "deliverance situation" cops if you get caught.

2. Italian/Swiss alps: amazing elevation changes, amazing culture for great drives through multiple countries in one day, but more "point and shoot" mountain passes. Also can get some crazy fines for speeding.

3. Northern California: gorgeous scenery, unbeatable... but can be crowded, curves aren't very tight or flowing until you go way north of San Francisco, and road quality can be atrocious. Very few cops.

WILD CARD: if you can get there with your vehicle of choice, the south part of island of Sardinia in Italy, is THE place for driving. It's just too perfect to describe, possessing everything you'd ever want in a driving Mecca... except it's GD remote and most people will never make it there so it's almost not worth mentioning. My second home in Italy is there, every summer of my young life was spent there, and I can say that if you do ED with your Porsche, you OWE it to yourself to put your car on the ferry and head to Sardegna. Food, scenery and unbelievable racetrack of empty roads awaits.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:03 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Having rode Ducatis extensively in all Western states (and Western Canada), I've found all have some great roads (Butler Maps are great for finding them). However, the Corado Rockies are simply outstanding for roads, scenery, traffic and proximity to my home.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:05 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I live part time in Colorado (Estes Park) and totally agree with Rob. Roads in the mountains are the best I have found for fun driving whether spirited or just for a pleasure ride.

The rest of the time I live in the middle of Iowa where one has to extensively search for roads that have curves or any elevation change. Since most roads in Iowa are straight, a Turbo 911 can be more fun than a GT3 just due to it's acceleration. The best thing about Iowa is there are many relatively vacant black top roads within 15 minutes of my house where one can cautiously enjoy the power and sound of a run to redline.

In Colorado where I am almost always in a corner, give me my GT3 any time even though power is down some 20% at 7800 feet.

I have also driven some fun roads around Scottsdale, AZ heading northeast toward Payson.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I see your point, but it's all about judgement. Spirited road driving with good visibility and no traffic can be a lot of fun. Never racetrack fun. But still a great time behind the wheel.
+1. Don't be stupid. Don't take unnecessary risks. Enjoy the curves. Leave the high speed runs to other people.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Hey guys, I have a full-length video of the Western Dragon I shot today. All 35 minutes. 345 turns. 31 miles. I will upload it tonight and post it tomorrow. I will create a separate post so people can compare it to the "other" Dragon. Curious how it compares, since I have not driven on the other one yet.

Quick Reply: OT: How good is your driving environment?