Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does F engine top end rebuild solve the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 12:49 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Thought you were in AZ?
Primary residence Seattle.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:52 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Primary residence Seattle.
Ah. Im originally from WA (and register cars in OR).
Old 03-03-2017, 11:14 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
26 hours of labor is absolutely possible and I wasn't far off with my estimation. But 40K in parts sounds way too excessive! I mean we're talking cams and finger followers here. Perhaps valves and valve springs...
The four cam shafts cost a total of $10,000. I haven't seen a price for the finger followers. Not saying that you'd have to buy heads to get the fingers, but a pair of cylinder heads would cost $8,800.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:27 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

OP: You've started a number of threads on more or less this topic. Seems the anxiety level is pretty high. I wonder if it would ruin your ownership experience. Might just be worth ponying up for a new .2 GT3. Of course it will likely have gremlins too. But you'll have a long time on the original factory warranty that way.

Seems that most GT cars have something - just ask the GT4 folks about 3rd gear and the strut towers. Really none of them are bullet proof and they definitely seem more issue prone than the non-GT variants. It's well worth it to me to own one but I don't fear these problems. I figured my GT4 would blow out it's 3rd gear if I owned it and tracked it long enough. Porsche would have fixed it. Maybe something will happen with the RS and they'll probably fix that too. Or they won't.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:12 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Originally Posted by tstafford
OP: You've started a number of threads on more or less this topic. Seems the anxiety level is pretty high. I wonder if it would ruin your ownership experience. Might just be worth ponying up for a new .2 GT3. Of course it will likely have gremlins too. But you'll have a long time on the original factory warranty that way.

Seems that most GT cars have something - just ask the GT4 folks about 3rd gear and the strut towers. Really none of them are bullet proof and they definitely seem more issue prone than the non-GT variants. It's well worth it to me to own one but I don't fear these problems. I figured my GT4 would blow out it's 3rd gear if I owned it and tracked it long enough. Porsche would have fixed it. Maybe something will happen with the RS and they'll probably fix that too. Or they won't.
I would call it more "due diligence" and education in order to make an informed decision.

--I've had a P-car that experienced catastrophic engine failure (IMS).

--Just sold an '06 997 that was still in the risk category years for having potential IMS issues.

-- Have decided to purchase GT3 ... a potential $8-10K fix for top end is not such a big deal as tgibrit points out vvvv
Originally Posted by tgibrit
if I can get 100hrs of track time before head rebuild for $8K - thats not bad, I hope you are right
a $40K repair on the other hand is ridiculous vvvv
Originally Posted by scb997
When my E had it's heads replaced, I was told that the allocation was 26 hours (at $150/hr) and $40k in parts. The parts for a rebuild should be lower but I'd think the labor would be this same. This stupid expensive...

Scott
Old 03-03-2017, 02:39 PM
kaboobie
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone has the part number by any chance ? For everyone's reference
Would the newer updates work with E/F engine ?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:38 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

OP i believe $40k is the price of a new engine

You may want to send a PM to Macca he is well educated on this topic and may give you good advice

If i were you since you have not purchased the car yet, i would go buy either a .2 GT3, a .1 RS or go for a .1 GT3 with a G engine. I think these are all safer bets than buying E or F and will all have longer warranty life.

Good luck
Old 03-03-2017, 03:58 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Just spoke with a reputable shop who has seen a number of the failures. They are trying to come up with a fix, but are running into roadblocks with Porsche being resistant to offering information on the issue. Apparently it is a coating with the finger followers that is causing the issue. I asked about whether tracking, etc., has an influence, and their feeling is "No", it's mileage dependent as all cars have this manufacture defect, there is no real way to know when it will happen. They said the fix they are working on will require an engine rebuild and run between $25-35K. He told me either he or his partner (not sure exactly, so don't hold me to this fact) has a 991 GT3 and he recommended not buying the .1, and strongly recommended waiting for the .2.

He said they get this same phone call from a number of GT3 owners each week.

In summary, the take away for me from this reputable source is basically "it's not a matter of "if", its a matter of "when" "
Old 03-03-2017, 04:09 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just spoke with a reputable shop who has seen a number of the failures. They are trying to come up with a fix, but are running into roadblocks with Porsche being resistant to offering information on the issue. Apparently it is a coating with the finger followers that is causing the issue. I asked about whether tracking, etc., has an influence, and their feeling is "No", it's mileage dependent as all cars have this manufacture defect, there is no real way to know when it will happen. They said the fix they are working on will require an engine rebuild and run between $25-35K. He told me either he or his partner (not sure exactly, so don't hold me to this fact) has a 991 GT3 and he recommended not buying the .1, and strongly recommended waiting for the .2.

In summary, the take away for me from this reputable source is basically "it's not a matter of "if", its a matter of "when" "
Nothing real new here. Macca has been saying this for months.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:54 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
OP i believe $40k is the price of a new engine...
Maybe more. Sunset Porsche in Oregon has GT3 engines on sale for $73.5K!

Old 03-03-2017, 05:13 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Originally Posted by alpine-al

Better get one why you can.... "add to cart" ... ? !!!?
Old 03-03-2017, 05:14 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by alpine-al

But they're discounted, so there's that. . . .
Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 PM
tstafford
Race Car

OP: Where does that leave you? Wait on .2? Get a .1 w/ G motor (or .1 RS)? Or still considering the dice roll of an earlier car?
Old 03-03-2017, 06:29 PM
vodavoda
Racer

OP: Where does that leave you? Wait on .2? Get a .1 w/ G motor (or .1 RS)? Or still considering the dice roll of an earlier car?
Don't want the headache of having the car in the shop at some point for an extended period time. Don't want to have to wait for Porsche to OK repairs, especially if off of warranty. Don't want some astronomical repair bill for a car that will undoubtedly take a hit in value because of these issues and because the .2 is available.

I also spoke with my service manager this morning who reported he is hearing of more and more cars experiencing this issue. He said he hopes Porsche will stand behind the engines and continue to fix them out of warranty, but no gaurantees.

So as bad as I want to get one now, when rational thought kicks in and the red mist clears, it would probably be a dumb move. As this issue becomes more known (outside of RL and avid enthusiast circles), prices are going to inevitably drop (the 997 GT3 may be more valuable, who knows?), and they are going to be a hard sell IMO.

For the time being, I'll enjoy the cars I have, keep looking for my 246 Dino (talk about a hard car to find a "good one"), consider purchasing a 458 for short-term ownership, and pick up .2 from someone who has an allocation with the plan to just to flip it.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

GT4 3rd gear and strut towers? Orders of magnitude different than GT3 engine issues.

Quick Reply: Does F engine top end rebuild solve the problem?