Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:04 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
sorry to hear, but like others said, it happens. Personally I think the value is way more than 20k under msrp, I would say 50k plus under msrp. Airbags deployed is a game changer and buyers for a car like this will be picky unless its a dedicated track toy. Sorry, but I'd want a new car so therefore there insurance needs to give you enough to go buy another or you sue...
Agree. There may be almost no market for this car, given the price point and type of car. To sell it the discount would be really high.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:34 PM
tono
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really sorry to see this. It's a real shame on so many levels. Hope all parties involved make it right for the OP.

The hit seems similar in magnitude to that of Randy Pobst at Laguna Seca on the UV Launch GT3RS. I saw that vehicle the day after the accident when they were still there doing testing. If I recall correctly, the thought was that it was a total loss.

Very sad.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given what it takes to get one of these out of shape, I would be steaming that anyone would take one out that hard. Obliviously, no respect for other peoples things.

So sorry to hear this and wish you the best outcome.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ Sloopy, well said.
One thing to do something stupid, another is to prove lack of respect.

I store some cars for others and are only driven upon request and as if they are made out of porcelain. you just don't beat on someone else's car.. and certainly I can think of no other reason to turn TC off than to burn someone else's rubber..
Old 02-25-2017, 07:13 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Good luck once again. I'm upset, and it's not even my car. Please keep us posted.

I agree, keep the name of the shop out of it now. It's an advantage you can use down the line rather than losing that card now. Good call.

This story with the name of the shop could go viral. Especially with this car. I'd be losing sleep if I was the shops owner. Can kill his business or put a huge "dent" into it.
My guess is that this would put many shops under. Traction control off? This is the move that some children may have made; but an adult?
Old 02-25-2017, 07:33 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
My guess is that this would put many shops under. Traction control off? This is the move that some children may have made; but an adult?

I would love to hear that explanation why traction control was turned off?

To the OP, I'd go scope out the area and building where this happened. Many places have outdoor cameras, and you might be able to get footage of this. Also ... curious, how far was the stop sign to where the car hit the building? What was the ambient temperature outdoors?

I'm not wondering if it was the owner actually driving or one of the workers?

I wouldn't trust this shop or owner to bag my groceries at the store, not to mention touching my car.

The point is, it's not a random accident. It's a clear intentional act to drive this car in a way that has NOTHING to do with a test drive to check any work that may have been done to it.

What dumb *** try's burning rubber on a customers NEW $200K+++ car?? Most likely redlined too. This guy is a big time douche.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Sounds like they bought themselves an RS. Why would you run this through your insurance and take the hit as your rates go up? Let their insurance take the hit the same as if it fell of the rack.

They are are big boys. They broke it playing, now they can pay for it.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
Sounds like they bought themselves an RS. Why would you run this through your insurance and take the hit as your rates go up? Let their insurance take the hit the same as if it fell of the rack.

It has no impact on your insurance rates whatsoever. They pay you, they go after the other party. And they're way more likely to get the other side to pay than you are.

Been down this road when I got hit by a drunk in my nearly new car. GEICO wrote me a check for full MSRP + taxes in about 7-10 days, then went after the other party. Had no impact on my rates.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:26 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess

This is what I was thinking.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:35 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It has no impact on your insurance rates whatsoever. They pay you, they go after the other party. And they're way more likely to get the other side to pay than you are.

Been down this road when I got hit by a drunk in my nearly new car. GEICO wrote me a check for full MSRP + taxes in about 7-10 days, then went after the other party. Had no impact on my rates.
Theoretically, but I don't trust insurance companies not to raise my rates even if it's a not my fault claim. It still costs them to deal with the claim. I believe they ask this question when getting insurance because they want to know how risky you are.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:36 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

All good points. I did light the fire on my insurance (AIG Pure) to get going. I used my broker for estimates/market value, he deals in them regularly, high 250's-260. I agree this needs to be punted to my insurance to chase, and retain the sue button if they try to repair and stick me with the car. I won't take it back, this is a replace/check. STG, I also thought about pulling the camera's down there, also no accident report because they of course didn't self report to the police. I'm in the midwest, saw the post from the member in NJ. I will keep everyone posted, really appreciate the support, obviously the blessing is no one was hurt and as STG mentioned, what if this clown hit someone??? Anyway, it's reckless and the TC turn off is inexcusable and I'm sure it was redlined and dumped. Can't imagine doing this with someone else's vehicle. Will keep everyone posted, if it goes sideways with insurance, then I'll drop the outing campaign and a sue insurance all the way around. STG, I'll take pics of the street, stop sign and building. No idea yet. Temp was 70 degrees that day where I am.

Last edited by Ccapx; 02-25-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:47 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccapx
All good points. I did light the fire on my insurance (AIG Pure) to get going. I used my broker for estimates/market value, he deals in them regularly, high 250's-260. I agree this needs to be punted to my insurance to chase, and retain the sue button if they try to repair and stick me with the car. I won't take it back, this is a replace/check. STG, I also thought about pulling the camera's down there, also no accident report because they of course didn't self report to the police. I'm in the midwest, saw the post from the member in NJ. I will keep everyone posted, really appreciate the support, obviously the blessing is no one was hurt and as STG mentioned, what if this clown hit someone??? Anyway, it's reckless and the TC turn off is inexcusable and I'm sure it was redlined and dumped. Can't imagine doing this with someone else's vehicle. Will keep everyone posted, if it goes sideways with insurance, then I'll drop the outing campaign and a sue insurance all the way around. STG, I'll take pics of the street, stop sign and building. No idea yet. Temp was 70 degrees that day wear I am.
Keeping a level head.Good for you. Very, very hard to do in this situation. The stupidity, negligence and sheer lack of respect from the owner, of all people, is hard to fathom.

Completely understand why you choose not to doxx them, though by all rights you are justified to do so since it was the damn owner who did it.

Last edited by rk-d; 02-26-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:48 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I hope you out them eventually. This idiot deserves it. If he didn't wreck it, would he have told you he clutch dumped a burn out
In your new car? Nope. He probably chose this narrow road with close in buildings to hear his exhaust. TC off, both paddles pulled in, and let's see if we can wreck a customers car. Would you want anyone you know to take their car to them? The action was more than just irresponsible, it was completely wreckless, disrespectful to the clientele, and I would assume this owner has done this many times in the past. And now that production is over, just where would you get a new car, spec'd exactly the way you chose? Not easy. Wouldn't want the car back no matter what. And to be made "whole" may actually be impossible. By factually reporting what was done to your car should have no ramifications on your insurance claim/impending lawsuit. What type of exhaust and what town in the Midwest?
Old 02-26-2017, 01:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,785 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Hire a lawyer.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:10 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Hire a lawyer.
Best advice in this thread. Best of luck, and please keep this thread updated.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop