Sponsored by:

New GT3 engine article?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
I basically agree with most of this, however after asking around in Daytona about engine size I could not get any answers, but the body language of those I asked make me wonder if it really will be 4.0.

I don't know if they can tune a 3.8 to produce 490-5 hp w/o blowing a hole in budget but that would be a good target. I would also expect some weight reduction of the car as a whole. Given that demand is nearly insatiable and the ridiculous premiums being paid I would expect 9-10% price increase.
Yes, this is an interesting situation.

I personally would love to see a higher revving 3.8L in the next GT3. I think it could make the power too (its there if you can adjust the toque limiters, but your emissions targets go out the window). 130bhp/L (Naturally Aspirated) has been done already in a production engine, back in 2014 (458 Speciale).

As for weight reduction I looked at the MT vs PDK differences for Carrera 991.2 C2S etc before coming to 40lb/20kg. I think once you take a mechanical diff into consideration we are probably looking somewhere between 20-30kg max savings for MT.

The 911R is published approximately 55kg lighter than the 991.1 GT3. But it comes with PCCB, less sound deadening, no rear wing and Ti silencer etc. My take on this is that a 991.2 GT3 in MT with LWFC will come in middle ground between the two (assumes steel brakes for GT3). 1395KG?

One mans guess.

Quick Reply: New GT3 engine article?