Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:23 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
I test drove a 570s for a week and that's a bloody bullit! Can't imagine the 720...insane!

I think McLaren is hitting its stride. Porsche needs to get off its ***. I mean I love GT cars but once you're over $200K for a Turbo S they just aren't in the same league as Macca.
I would have to agree.. My GT3 is coming in just under 200k.. so it's pushing the envelope..

The 570s looks like a bullit! I went to check out the 570gt they had a pfaff a short while back.. and it was tugging and the heart strings.. lol
Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't read the whole thread but it seems that many Porsche owners are considering a McLaren. I would highly recommend you do your homework. McLaren has come a long way since its launch in 2012 but it isn't a Porsche. It is a typical British company with electrical gremlins and many many quality control issues. I say that based on owning 2 McLarens in the past 5 years. The first was a Complete Lemon.

*******I am copying a post I made on McLarenlife in 2013.

I bought the 12C in March/2012 from Park Place in Dallas. I have owned the 12C for 14 months and have put 4100 miles on the car. In that time she has had multiple issues that have dampened my enthusiasm for the car and the company. It is quite obvious to me(and other early adopters) that the electrical gremlins hadn't been sorted when the car was launched.

My problem list:

1. Check engine light: Car was delivered with a check engine light. She would occasionally stall when starting up. She went back to the dealership 3 weeks post delivery for it. It was a pinched fuel hose in the fuel tank. Took about a week to get it fixed and shipped back.

2. Car won't start: Last summer I took my wife on a road trip to Austin. All went well until the last day when the car refused the recognize the key fob. The car was parked in an underground parking garage. It took 2 tow trucks and 4 hours to get it out of the garage and on a flatbed truck. I had to get a rental and drive home while the car went to Dallas. It was a failed Body Control Module(it recognizes the key fob). 4 days later the car came back fixed and with new keys.

3. Cloud of smoke from exhaust bank: This spring I noticed a big cloud of white smoke from the Rt. exhaust bank upon start up. Called the service advisor and had it picked up. She came back 3 days later after a fix(forgot what the issue was).

4. Car overheating: First noticed it when I drove the car at a DE. Happened again a month ago after doing only 5 laps. The service advisor has said that one of the cylinder's has coolant in it. This is an ominous sign. They are taking the engine out for inspection. I may end up needing a new engine. The car has been gone for 3 weeks this time. Probably be another 2-3 weeks before it is fixed.

5. Cloud of smoke II: Happened again 2 days after the track event. This time it was the other exhaust bank. It is obviously related to the engine overheating issue.

6. Software update: Not really an issue BUT it took them 10 days to give me the car back.

Having all these issues and not having the car in the garage has gotten old. My friends make fun of me. One of them refers to the McLaren as the Lucas Electrics car. That is kinda sad and funny at the same time. My wife is absolutely sick of the car and wants me to get rid of it. My 15 year old NSX with 70K miles hasn't had a single issue/never left me stranded.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:45 AM
Ritesh
Pro

I "traded in" my first car for a 2013 spider. I say "traded" because the car was a complete lemon and McLaren/Dealer decided to give me a good trade in value instead of having to lemon it.

It was significantly better but it had some issues that were quite concerning. A couple of electrical gremlins including a Faulty Front Axle lift sensor that would give you a Suspension Failure message!. That's not confidence inspiring. Last summer leaked coolant on my garage floor. It was fixed under warranty. These experiences made me realize that I can't own this car once the warranty expired.

Some more data:

1. Friend bought a 2013 spider and from the beginning the car has top up/down issues. It would open half way and get stuck. McLaren gave him a trade on a 650S spider but it had some issues too. He gave up on McLaren brand and traded it for a GT3.

2. Another friend: 2012 Coupe. Delivered with a check engine light. Blown engine at 2000 miles. He got rid of it.

I realize that McLaren is a new car company and that they have made significant improvements in quality control but don't let that fool you. The 570S which was launched in 2016 had a myriad of issues.

Its a great car but it isn't a Porsche and I WOULD NEVER OWN ONE OUT OF WARRANTY!!

Some food for thought.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Pics as proof of my McLaren which I traded in for a RS. The RS may not be faster straight line but the peace of mind at night is worth it.
Attached Images   
Old 09-27-2017, 09:15 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^Thanks for the reality check..
Old 09-27-2017, 09:29 AM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I've driven both 12C and GT3 rs, you made the right choice sir. Congrats!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the 720S is way ahead of the competition in terms of design, innovation, and performance. However, virtually every McLaren I have seen has issues with fit and finish (excluding the 675 LTs I've seen and P1 which I have never seen up close). For example, trim strips that line up on one side of the car but have 2-3 mm of misalignment on the contralateral side. There are other small issues as well, but when spending 300K plus on a car, I wouldn't settle for that.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I "traded in" my first car for a 2013 spider. I say "traded" because the car was a complete lemon and McLaren/Dealer decided to give me a good trade in value instead of having to lemon it.

It was significantly better but it had some issues that were quite concerning. A couple of electrical gremlins including a Faulty Front Axle lift sensor that would give you a Suspension Failure message!. That's not confidence inspiring. Last summer leaked coolant on my garage floor. It was fixed under warranty. These experiences made me realize that I can't own this car once the warranty expired.

Some more data:

1. Friend bought a 2013 spider and from the beginning the car has top up/down issues. It would open half way and get stuck. McLaren gave him a trade on a 650S spider but it had some issues too. He gave up on McLaren brand and traded it for a GT3.

2. Another friend: 2012 Coupe. Delivered with a check engine light. Blown engine at 2000 miles. He got rid of it.

I realize that McLaren is a new car company and that they have made significant improvements in quality control but don't let that fool you. The 570S which was launched in 2016 had a myriad of issues.

Its a great car but it isn't a Porsche and I WOULD NEVER OWN ONE OUT OF WARRANTY!!

Some food for thought.
Totally aligns with my experience. Until they offer a more dependable owner experience, I am out.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

I'd let my RS go before I ever sell my LT. The car is insane.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:15 AM
KAZ911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
I'd let my RS go before I ever sell my LT. The car is insane.

Have you had any issues? I've heard from two separate friends the LT goes into a limp mode at times as the ecu reboots? Sometimes while driving at highway speeds. I couldn't imagine something like that happening to me without being furious, but they've accepted it and gotten used to it

Reliability aside, I love my GT3 but the LT, even 650S, 12C, and now the 720S are strikingly good looking. The McLaren interior cockpit experience is simply another level above 911 GTs imo. At similar price points reliability is the single factor why I believe some refuse to cross shop GT cars with McLaren, and furthermore why I think many others choose F cars instead. Someone local to me has over 70k miles on his 458 with zero issues, and the 488s seem to be having relatively similar reliability as well
Old 09-27-2017, 11:31 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KAZ911
Have you had any issues? I've heard from two separate friends the LT goes into a limp mode at times as the ecu reboots? Sometimes while driving at highway speeds. I couldn't imagine something like that happening to me without being furious, but they've accepted it and gotten used to it

Reliability aside, I love my GT3 but the LT, even 650S, 12C, and now the 720S are strikingly good looking. The McLaren interior cockpit experience is simply another level above 911 GTs imo. At similar price points reliability is the single factor why I believe some refuse to cross shop GT cars with McLaren, and furthermore why I think many others choose F cars instead. Someone local to me has over 70k miles on his 458 with zero issues, and the 488s seem to be having relatively similar reliability as well
No issues with my LT so far, mind you it only has a few thousand miles on it. Agree price points are higher - especially for the LT. Nicely specced LT are still in the mid 300's range so they're holding up better than previous models... so far.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:28 PM
KAZ911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
No issues with my LT so far, mind you it only has a few thousand miles on it. Agree price points are higher - especially for the LT. Nicely specced LT are still in the mid 300's range so they're holding up better than previous models... so far.
That's good to hear. Also great choice on your LT color selection. I love the orange accents McLaren uses as well.

I love Porsche, and probably always will, but given the ridiculousness of being unable to simply purchase any GT car at MSRP and rising costs for such 911 based models, I'm happy to see McLaren's gradual and continued success put some pressure on them.

Given the new ring time and overall hype for the GT2RS I'm excited to see comparisons come out in the near future between it and the 720S
Old 09-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Lets put 10,000 miles on it then talk about reliability??
Old 09-27-2017, 02:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
I think most McLaren owners would settle for 1,000 trouble-free miles.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
I put 12,000 miles on my 12C. Only a couple of minor issues.

My RS has condensation in its tail lights and I recently received a service campaign notice for some other issue that I cannot recall (will be dealt with at next service).

I think it's normal for high performance cars to have a few niggly issues during ownership. I can certainly tolerate them so long as they aren't major.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success