Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:35 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Absolutely! I enjoy changing tires in my garage using a simple jack and impact wrench!!

And too bad CJ does not have a dealership close by!
To be fair, changing CL wheels takes very little time once you get the hang of it (my last 3 tire changes I did between track sessions track side in under an hour each including mounting and balancing tires with a simple jack and a big ahh torque wrench).

Ditto on the second point - wish CJ had a McLaren store in Vancouver.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Big issue with CL wheels is that if you don't set the nuts and guns and torques super accurately you get a big failure one day.

5 lug wheels work great on my P1, on my GT4 race cars...

The CL wheels on the cup car are baller for sure but when you're holding the wheel for a tire change it shakes so violently I wince
Old 05-29-2017, 07:12 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
To be fair, changing CL wheels takes very little time once you get the hang of it (my last 3 tire changes I did between track sessions track side in under an hour each including mounting and balancing tires with a simple jack and a big ahh torque wrench).

Ditto on the second point - wish CJ had a McLaren store in Vancouver.
Lift the car, open the covers, secure the brake, unscrew the freaking CL, remove the wheel, rubber, put new rubber, inflate, balance, prepare new grease on the surfaces, put the wheel, torque, unscrew 90 degrees, torque again, put the cap back.
15min a corner. Doubt it.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Lift the car, open the covers, secure the brake, unscrew the freaking CL, remove the wheel, rubber, put new rubber, inflate, balance, prepare new grease on the surfaces, put the wheel, torque, unscrew 90 degrees, torque again, put the cap back.
I like to sip on some colddrink in between sessions. That sounds like work
Old 05-29-2017, 07:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Prefer 5 lug.

But back in the day when we took wheels off almost daily on track, it took me 12 minutes to swap 4 wheels at the track.

It's no benefit, but it isn't terrible either.
I rather have a less finicky TPS and oil warning system, not go into limp mode when the car still has a gallon.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:25 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With the center lift point it would be easier but I am not sure if there are any?
Grease could be skipped if the fresh was applied before the track day.
It's not the time which is the issue but energy these 600nm torqued CL take from your arms!
Old 05-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Prefer 5 lug.

But back in the day when we took wheels off almost daily on track, it took me 12 minutes to swap 4 wheels at the track.

It's no benefit, but it isn't terrible either.
I rather have a less finicky TPS and oil warning system, not go into limp mode when the car still has a gallon.
I see that they have moved forward the on track replacement time for the CLs and Axels down to 3.5k track miles, just had to have mine replaced front and rear.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

My interest in getting a 570S has been growing over the last few month to the point where I recently decided I would pull the trigger.

After looking at the price of a new one (euro 230+K) vs the price of a <12 month old used car (euro 170K), I decided to look for a low mileage used one and let the first owner take the enormous depreciation hit.

I drew up a list of must have options (white, orange calipers, front lift, sports exhaust, camera, etc) and went on the hunt. But here's my problem.

I have now driven 3 cars that largely met my requirements but ALL had electrical problems on the test drive. The first one threw an engine fault, the second the dashboard could not be reconfigured ignoring all efforts to change it, and on the third one the reversing camera would not work. I am scheduled to drive a fourth one on Wednesday but I am now reconsidering my decision considering the issues I have faced just on simple test drives. Makes me think these cars were dumped by their previous owners, and one was an ex-Mclaren factory car.

Now I know that this experience may not align with others on this forum but 3 fails out of 3 cars is not good for my perception of the level of reliability I will get from the brand.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:32 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
I was not mounting and balancing myself, so I re-greased the bolts and tightened the nuts while other wheels were mounted and balanced. The trick is that you can hand-tighten the bolt almost all the way in seconds (just push the pin in and then use the torque wrench only for the final half-turn. So it's about 180 clockwise till it clicks, 90 counterclockwise and then 90 clockwise till it clicks again, all without removing the wrench from the wheel. Takes a couple of minutes per corner at most. Locking the brake needs to be done only once and takes under a minute. The only PITA is cleaning and regreasing bolts and wheel surfaces and then cleaning everything that got the grease on it. Anyway, that's probably too much off-topic. I would not miss CLs on a McLaren
Old 05-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
My interest in getting a 570S has been growing over the last few month to the point where I recently decided I would pull the trigger.

After looking at the price of a new one (euro 230+K) vs the price of a <12 month old used car (euro 170K), I decided to look for a low mileage used one and let the first owner take the enormous depreciation hit.

I drew up a list of must have options (white, orange calipers, front lift, sports exhaust, camera, etc) and went on the hunt. But here's my problem.

I have now driven 3 cars that largely met my requirements but ALL had electrical problems on the test drive. The first one threw an engine fault, the second the dashboard could not be reconfigured ignoring all efforts to change it, and on the third one the reversing camera would not work. I am scheduled to drive a fourth one on Wednesday but I am now reconsidering my decision considering the issues I have faced just on simple test drives. Makes me think these cars were dumped by their previous owners, and one was an ex-Mclaren factory car.

Now I know that this experience may not align with others on this forum but 3 fails out of 3 cars is not good for my perception of the level of reliability I will get from the brand.
I owned a 570 for a month. Numerous faults, similar to those you describe; sent it back, got refund...
Old 05-29-2017, 05:53 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I owned a 570 for a month. Numerous faults, similar to those you describe; sent it back, got refund...
I am at 3 weeks now without driving mine. It is in the shop for electrical issues as well and transport company paint damage. I want a new car or my money back.

I think if you get a good one you're ok and the experience is excellent. I just don't think I'm gonna gamble $200+k again in the hopes I get a good one. I love the way the car looks and drives, but the headache it has caused me is not worth it at all.

I'm trying to be patient and keep an open mind and waiting for McLaren to "make it right" before I walk away from the brand.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I am at 3 weeks now without driving mine. It is in the shop for electrical issues as well and transport company paint damage. I want a new car or my money back.

I think if you get a good one you're ok and the experience is excellent. I just don't think I'm gonna gamble $200+k again in the hopes I get a good one. I love the way the car looks and drives, but the headache it has caused me is not worth it at all.

I'm trying to be patient and keep an open mind and waiting for McLaren to "make it right" before I walk away from the brand.
As a potential alternative, today I went down to the Audi dealer to take a closer look at a R8 V10 plus. Surprisingly, I found the car more exciting on the brief test drive than the McLaren due to the sound. Oh the sound!

Now I know that the 570S is overall a better car, both in looks and performance but, if I am honest, I did find it a bit anodyne in the city. I got a bigger thrill from the R8 at city speeds because of the sound. That surprised me. Not sure what I will do now.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:53 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I can't stand all wheel drive on a true sports car. I had a Huracan and that was my least favorite part.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:00 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Maybe too flashy for some, but RWD is available as the LP 580-2.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

I am not really a Lambo man but I really like the Performante.

I understand the comments regarding 4WD but that element doesn't maybe bother me as much as other RListers as I am now on my 2nd 4WD Porsche (currently a 991 GTS 4) which I quite like. It's a nice contrast to my GT3 and my M2. Plus with an AMG GTR coming in August, I will have enough RWD cars to keep me amused.

I also watched the recent Chris Harris video review of the R8 and he put it right at the top of the tree while calling the 4WD Lambo a bucket of horse p... So he must have liked it for a good reason.

The other factor is price. I can get a V10 Plus with only 1,000 miles on the clock for 135,000 euro vs 165,000 for the 570S. That's a huge difference.

So I am not sure which way I will jump now. Heart says 570S, head and pocket says R8.

Quick Reply: McLaren Success