Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 03:18 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I’ve not heard oF anyone who’s been given approval by McLaren to do their on pre / post track inspection?
However, the following is a cut and paste from my McLaren manual which uses the word “recommends” so the forum lawyers could argue you not required to do the inspections in order to maintain warranty.

NOTE: Before you use your vehicle on the track, consult your McLaren retailer. McLaren recommend that your vehicle is inspected before and after track use.”
Posting #59 in below thread. obviously, talk to your dealer about it.

https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...html#post53008

Pre/Post track checklists for warrantyOk guys, so I got some good news on this and got the straight scoop.

First, you can have pre/post checks done by a dealer or a "reputable shop" (if your dealer is a ways away) which may also include folks at your track (assuming they have a lift). My dealer is sending me the checklist forms, and as long as some shop near you performs them pre/post, and you send that in to your dealer you are set. If you have ceramics, there is a bit more to the check as they are more involved and thus will take a little longer for the inspection. When I get the forms, I'll post them.

So that fixes the biggest complaint. I also asked could we have the inspection done at the track, and again, as long as they have facilities, that part is cool--confirmed that Monticello is qualified and McLaren has been cool with them. Only issue is that they want to put the pre-check in their computer system to make sure your track event is covered by warranty, and that may take some time. So they're checking that if the checklist form is faxed/emailed with a time stamp prior to your getting on track, even if they don't enter in the dealer system (for example, you get this done on the weekend), hopefully that will still be ok.

Another note is that failing to do a pre/post check will *not* void your warranty. So if you fail to do it, the tracking event will not be covered by warranty. So if your engine blows on the track, it wont be covered unless you did the pre/post check. However, after you're done tracking, assuming nothing went wrong, your car would still have warranty coverage after that for normal road driving stuff.

That is the "official" proper story.

Beyond that, I think many dealers get the reality of this scenario and will work with you to have a reasonable process.

To that end, Philly mac is an amazing dealership...

UPDATE
Checklists attached here.
Attached ImagesFile Type: pdfTrack Post Checks 12C coupe.pdf (116.3 KB, 12 views)File Type: pdfTrack Pre Checks 12C coupe.pdf (110.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
Posting #59 in below thread.
Thanks. I spend more time on Mac Life than RL but missed of forgot about that thread. I guess I personally don’t know any Mac owner who does his own inspection. We’re lucky that Mac San Fran is such a good dealer to work with.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:15 AM
Boxers12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I will use this thread to ask this question. I have allocation for .2 GT3 RS to arrive in December. I can get an allocation for 600LT arrive in spring 2019. Cost difference about $20 for MAC. Which I could have both but not going to happen. Never had a McLaren. Had a .1 RS so pretty much know what thats about. I have a true race car for track but will track other car somewhat since it does not need support and much easier at smaller further distance tracks. Any thoughts.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:01 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxers12
So I will use this thread to ask this question. I have allocation for .2 GT3 RS to arrive in December. I can get an allocation for 600LT arrive in spring 2019. Cost difference about $20 for MAC. Which I could have both but not going to happen. Never had a McLaren. Had a .1 RS so pretty much know what thats about. I have a true race car for track but will track other car somewhat since it does not need support and much easier at smaller further distance tracks. Any thoughts.

Well, the Mclaren will thoroughly SPANK the 991.2 gt3 rs on any given track, as it seems like it's more set on nipping at the gt2rs track times...so if that means anything to you then that's worth mentioning...
Old 08-07-2018, 01:41 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxers12
I had a .1 GT3 and have 570S with .2 RS on its way. IMHO if you want a track car take the 3 all day over the 570S - it wasn’t designed for track although it is highly capable just lacked downforce and tires. The 600LT takes care of that. And I agree with above that LT will out perform the RS. For me the whole driving experience is better with the McLaren - the looks, the doors, the steering, the rarity of the cars, the dealers, no games just gives an overall better experience. The downsides I think can be summarized as dealership availablity and geography in case of issues and servicing needs. If you’re close no issues and Mac will pick up your car for you if you’re in neighborhood but definitely a consideration if nearest dealer is several hundred miles away. And then my personal gripe is their cycle time is too short and they make quantum leaps with the next car which is great but sort of makes the previous car obsolete and although they’re getting better the depreciation is worse than GT cars. But then outside of the hyper cars every car depreciates worse than a GT car. So if you change cars every 18 months or so maybe the RS is the better choice. That said if you want an experience and happy to hold onto car for 3-5 years &/or you can stomach a fairly big write down I’d go with McLaren all day every day. They are incredible cars.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:05 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

The LT is geared to rip, the 570S was geared to slide around like a sophisticated Jaguar Type R (first year with RWD only)

They purposely gave the 570 narrow tires to slide around and challenge someone to turn TCS/ ESC all the way off.

Most people DONT and therefore think it's all laggy etc. no- it's just saving you from getting sideways. Turn everything off, slam your foot and they turn in early. Here comes the drift!

The LT has bigger tires than the 570 but I think tire profile is closer to GT4 vs GT3RS.

Therefore you will still need to be tidy and not manhandle the car for best lap times. It will absolutely out accelerate the Gt3RS. It has more power and will weigh a lot less. But will it corner better at 45mph (hairpin exit) and will it corner better at 110mph? Is there enough DF to make a difference?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Boxers12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your comments. Have some decisions to make.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The LT has bigger tires than the 570 but I think tire profile is closer to GT4 vs GT3RS.
Hi CJ - this article shows LT tires the same size as 570S (which is smaller than GT4 and much smaller than GT3RS). Just 225/35R-19 and 285/35R-20...

https://www.caranddriver.com/mclaren/600lt

Only difference is Trofeo R vs. street tires (and nicer wheels). Skinny tires will give up ultimate grip, but could provide better steering feel and more progressive behavior at the limit...

Edit: Confirmed on McLaren website (see attached specs):

Last edited by GrantG; 08-07-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:56 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

The new trofeos they have on the car are more rounded and less trapezoidally fit to the rim.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The new trofeos they have on the car are more rounded and less trapezoidally fit to the rim.
OK, thanks. If the laptimes show the car as fast, then I like the idea of lighter wheels/tires with better steering feel and friendly at the limit. I wonder if they experimented with bigger footprints and concluded that this was optimal (or maybe the Sport Series has no further room without flares?).
Old 08-08-2018, 01:15 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
OK, thanks. If the laptimes show the car as fast, then I like the idea of lighter wheels/tires with better steering feel and friendly at the limit. I wonder if they experimented with bigger footprints and concluded that this was optimal (or maybe the Sport Series has no further room without flares?).

I bet they tried it, tire tech and various shapes and contact patches have definitely come a long way as well. Would love to see the data they collected with various setups (pipe dream)
Old 08-12-2018, 04:01 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I finally got tired of wondering about the Mclaren experience and pulled the trigger.

​​​​​​​

Old 08-12-2018, 04:04 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice Hamilton! let us know what you think after a little seat time....I'd love to try to 600LT
Old 08-12-2018, 04:15 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My thoughts after a short period:

Of course looks are subjective, but damn it is beautiful.
Power is very nice. Very fast. Strong at all revs. A little lag, but seems to be way less in track mode with all systems off.
Shifts are very nice. Downshifts seem to be a little rougher. PDK is better, but this system is really really good.
Brakes are extremely nice under heavy power. In stop and go it is a bit grabby. Brake pedal is very firm.
Steering is excellent. Lots of great feedback.
I do like the doors.
Interior is gorgeous and fit is nice. Seats are very comfortable and I’m a big guy. All systems are intuitive and IRIS works well. Stereo is one of the best I’ve ever heard.

Overall I really like it. Slightly quirky compared to a P car, but definitely more exotic.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:26 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by forhamilton
My thoughts after a short period:

Of course looks are subjective, but damn it is beautiful.
Power is very nice. Very fast. Strong at all revs. A little lag, but seems to be way less in track mode with all systems off.
Shifts are very nice. Downshifts seem to be a little rougher. PDK is better, but this system is really really good.
Brakes are extremely nice under heavy power. In stop and go it is a bit grabby. Brake pedal is very firm.
Steering is excellent. Lots of great feedback.
I do like the doors.
Interior is gorgeous and fit is nice. Seats are very comfortable and I’m a big guy. All systems are intuitive and IRIS works well. Stereo is one of the best I’ve ever heard.

Overall I really like it. Slightly quirky compared to a P car, but definitely more exotic.
good info and feedback...I think MAC is doing excellent work, great cars. I test drove a 570s last year at park place in dallas. Drove and handled like a go-cart. Loved the steering feel, or at least as much as I could discern on the roads in dallas (not on track)

Quick Reply: McLaren Success