Sponsored by:

PTS or no PTS for new 991.2 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:39 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
LO is not PTS on the GT3. It was available as a regular color on the 2016 GT3 when it was released on the RS. Come on Tony! Get your PTS facts straight!
Ha! That would make sense. I was going off the salesman telling me the 15 was a PTS. Didn't know it changed for 16.
Im good at spouting nonsense as fact!
Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 928cs
You buy a car for you, not the next owner, don't you?
I guess I never understood the whole "buy the car you want and don't worry about the next guy" idea. When I purchase a car, or anything for that matter, I consider all things that I perceive relevant when deciding. When I buy a house, I want something that will fit my needs but I also want something that I can easily sell and may have higher growth potential (even if it is not an investment property). When I buy a car, I definitely spec it with things I want but if there was something that could make the car more marketable or valuable when it comes time to sell then I would at least consider it (even if I don't really want/need it like front lift or PCCBs). So if I feel exactly the same between a 'regular color' and a PTS color but I thought the PTS would make it easier to sell and possibly offset the $5k or so it takes than I would consider it.

Now, I would never not drive my car to hold its value. That's just ridiculous.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:05 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 928cs
You buy a car for you, not the next owner, don't you?
Unfortunately, many people don't.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

if u have to ask then no
a PTS car is only meaningful if there's an actual color you are dying for.
if you just want to be different for the sake of being different than paint it sh*t green/brown. no one will have it. how do you know if you have a color you are dying for? ask yourself if PTS is S$50k will you pay for it? if answer is no, you dont have a PTS color in your heart.

future value? meh...
the 70's aircooled car with "funky" colors, aubergine, green of any sort, smurf blue... you cannot give them away for a long long long time until now. so today;'s PTS darling may well be future's dog.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:54 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Just go for Signal Orange
and you can never be wrong.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:57 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ good, do not do signal yellow, then i will be pissed
Old 12-22-2016, 04:44 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
I guess I never understood the whole "buy the car you want and don't worry about the next guy" idea. When I purchase a car, or anything for that matter, I consider all things that I perceive relevant when deciding. When I buy a house, I want something that will fit my needs but I also want something that I can easily sell and may have higher growth potential (even if it is not an investment property). When I buy a car, I definitely spec it with things I want but if there was something that could make the car more marketable or valuable when it comes time to sell then I would at least consider it (even if I don't really want/need it like front lift or PCCBs). So if I feel exactly the same between a 'regular color' and a PTS color but I thought the PTS would make it easier to sell and possibly offset the $5k or so it takes than I would consider it.

Now, I would never not drive my car to hold its value. That's just ridiculous.
Let be honest, a GT3 is a lot of money for most of us, and it nobody really "needs" (in the sense of basic needs) one, so it is an expensive toy.

As such, I think it is better to configure a new GT3 as your toy. I agree that some options will make it easier to sell when the time will come but don't think that PTS is one of these because:
- It is expensive (and can add delay to have your car).
- You can not be 100% sure that there will be someone with the same taste as you.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
future value? meh...
the 70's aircooled car with "funky" colors, aubergine, green of any sort, smurf blue... you cannot give them away for a long long long time until now.
Good point - in 1999, I bought my 73 911S 2.4L for $16k in Aubergine and I have the feeling there was no other interested buyer at the time.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

i don't want a strange color, or color not suited for the car, but am more concerned with it getting old, not money, or resale. If i was in a financial jam, i would trade it in or short sale it to move it, thats not going to be an issue, but if i get a blue car and 5 months later, hate it, or wish i didn't choose that color, i cant just swap it for a new one.lol will have to live with it i guess.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:54 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
i don't want a strange color, or color not suited for the car, but am more concerned with it getting old, not money, or resale. If i was in a financial jam, i would trade it in or short sale it to move it, thats not going to be an issue, but if i get a blue car and 5 months later, hate it, or wish i didn't choose that color, i cant just swap it for a new one.lol will have to live with it i guess.
I'm not sure if anyone can answer that for you. If you get a bright/loud color it will probably attract a lot of attention. If you don't like to attract attention to yourself then a bright/loud color is probably not for you. On the opposite end, if you don't want to blend in as much they black/silver/grey/white are probably not a good fit for you. There are some colors that don't show dirt very well and others that do... if having a clean-looking car all the time is important to you then choose wisely. If you are the type that has to color match all parts of the car then you may want to choose the color based on the color of the brakes (red or yellow). You have to define what would make the car seem 'old' to you first and then make a choice.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:16 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Color is trend, just like fashion it changes.

Will always be buyers for white/black/silver! Green/purple/yellow/blue/pink will come and go.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:32 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GrantG
Good point - in 1999, I bought my 73 911S 2.4L for $16k in Aubergine and I have the feeling there was no other interested buyer at the time.
that's a 73.5 no? with the front rubber on bumper?
i hope you kept it!!!

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Color is trend, just like fashion it changes.

Will always be buyers for white/black/silver! Green/purple/yellow/blue/pink will come and go.
great, now you tell me.
so my yellow car will not help with my retirement plan.....
Old 12-22-2016, 06:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
that's a 73.5 no? with the front rubber on bumper?
i hope you kept it!!!
Only the 911T (entry-level Touring model) had a 73.5 model (they removed the Mechanical Fuel Injection for CIS). The 73S is just a 73S all year long. No, I didn't keep it. Sold it for $27k 4 years after buying it for $16k and thought I was a genius. Worth 6-figures today
Old 12-22-2016, 06:12 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ oh well.....
i would have paid you $30 for the eggplant car with giant bumpers ;-)
Old 12-22-2016, 06:15 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
You are the only that can answer to this question.

What kind of color do you like on a Porsche?
I think that the 991 is a big car, so it needs a light color.

Quick Reply: PTS or no PTS for new 991.2 gt3