Sponsored by:

Bent stock GT3 rims

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 AM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
Do you know if they have CL specific equipment to mount the rim on while working on it?
This is the problem that you're having in finding a shop that can repair your wheels. Most shops that repair bent wheels can only mount the common lug nut configurations on their equipment.

I had to deal with this problem back in 2012 with some bent centerlock wheels on my 997 GTS. Here northeast I searched for several months for a shop that could mount my centerlocks. I never found a shop. I solved the problem by asking my brother-in-law, a master machinist, make a lug nut to centerlock adapter for me. Now any wheel repair shop can mount my adapter on their machines and mount my tires on the centerlock portion of the adapter.

If you were local, I would loan you the adapter. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:42 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
AP said they were the first forged wheels ever used on a GT car from Porsche when the car was first released.
I wouldn't trust your memory of that statement. Manufacturers are known to stretch the language to extremes. I'd like to see the precise wording, and on production cars. Everybody brags about forged wheels, and I don't remember seeing that anywhere on the GT3 specs. Or on the RSs for that matter. And the fact they seem to bend that easily, doesn't indicate they're forged. Maybe they're the weak link about Porsche voiding warranty with slick tires? Who knows.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:03 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
There was a thread on this a while back, but I think the conclusion was that the wheels are not true monoblock forged wheels, but rather flow formed.

Of course, if I'm incorrect, I'm sure I'll be corrected in no time.
For $6K, my bet is that they are are NOT the same Monoblock Forged Aluminum wheels that HRE or Forgeline make. Trust me, Porsche would be charging at least 2-3x that price to buy them. They nickel and dime everything. Think they'd spend that kind of cash on a $150K car?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...GT3PLTWHL.html

They describe it as "forged alloy". Whatever that means. Has become a very broad way to describe ways wheels are made.

What are the OEM wheel weights anyway? For them to even be bending with such a beefy design says something about the quality.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:44 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

$1500 for tire/wheel insurance, 5 yrs, no deductible is a no brainer. Never leave home w/o it.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
For $6K, my bet is that they are are NOT the same Monoblock Forged Aluminum wheels that HRE or Forgeline make. Trust me, Porsche would be charging at least 2-3x that price to buy them. They nickel and dime everything. Think they'd spend that kind of cash on a $150K car?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...GT3PLTWHL.html

They describe it as "forged alloy". Whatever that means. Has become a very broad way to describe ways wheels are made.

What are the OEM wheel weights anyway? For them to even be bending with such a beefy design says something about the quality.
I believe the OEM 991 GT3 wheel weights are 23 lbs (f) and 29 lbs (r), which are heavier than all of the comparable forged wheels in the GT3 size/fitment, like the BBS FI-R, which are I believe are something like 18 and 23, respectively.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:14 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
They describe it as "forged alloy". Whatever that means.
Porsche is a marketing master, and it's not a compliment. Describing the material used as 'forged allow' (which is nonsense), is only to deceive people that they're forged (as in the process). But obviously that's not the case. On that subject, read that both the Sport Techno and Turbo wheels (which my Cayman GTS has) are forged, but I could bet cash money they're not. My car came with them (upcharge of 3 grand from the stock 20 Carrera S ones), but couldn't find anywhere they were forged (not even on the material, like on the GT3). If wheels are truly forged, it's always stated that way, in my experience. Oh well.

Now a question on the subject: Are all bent wheels due to off-road excursions? How about slick-tire use (which reportedly Porsche prohibits)? Just trying to gauge if the bending is unacceptable. Or if it's acceptable, but you thought wheels were tougher. I personally thought aluminum wheels (either forged or cast) just broke, not bend. I also think centerlocks are actually less beefy (just show) than regular ones of the same design, but maybe I'm wrong. At any rate, learned something new today.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-15-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:06 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
They are supposed to be forged wheels. I see no reason why they can't be fixed. Rite way wheel in walnut creek fixes mine and is the 'go to' place in the Bay Area
^^^^ yes to Rite Way. I had some work done as well top quality. They told me they also get a lot of re-chrome work from Jay Leno on his classics (showed me a wheel ... I assume it was the real one). They have a very solid rep. in NorCal.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:23 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
$1500 for tire/wheel insurance, 5 yrs, no deductible is a no brainer. Never leave home w/o it.
Until they weasel out of it. I got the tire and wheel warranty but they refuse to replace my wheels unless they are bent so badly that the tires go flat from the air leaking out.

Should have known. Insurance companies are all dishonest bastards happy to take your money and then to find an excuse not to pay you.

Better to self-insure except for catastrophic loss, entire house, etc.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I hope not! Flow forming is a casting method.
I believe Flow Forming is a process used on cast wheels.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:13 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are forged 100%. Hit the rim with a wrench and it's gonna sing like a cathedral bell. No doubt at all.
I know it as I had exactly the same problem. Departed from a track and boom. Bent rim.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
This is the problem that you're having in finding a shop that can repair your wheels. Most shops that repair bent wheels can only mount the common lug nut configurations on their equipment.

I had to deal with this problem back in 2012 with some bent centerlock wheels on my 997 GTS. Here northeast I searched for several months for a shop that could mount my centerlocks. I never found a shop. I solved the problem by asking my brother-in-law, a master machinist, make a lug nut to centerlock adapter for me. Now any wheel repair shop can mount my adapter on their machines and mount my tires on the centerlock portion of the adapter.

If you were local, I would loan you the adapter. Good luck!
Ivan. You ought to ask your brother in law to pattern that adapter and run off a batch and do a group buy here. I know Id take one and Im sure quite a few others would be interested too....
Old 09-17-2016, 05:30 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Count me in. I'd buy one.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:49 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

My Oz Superforgiatas (forged) (on my 997) are shaped as eggs so sure, forged rims bends.

I shifted my wheels on the RS and judged by my hand scales they felt forged.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Devin- did you already talk to Jess? I've got a guys contact in Reno (name escapes me at the moment) at home, message me and I'll give it to you when I get home (TH now). He fixed several bent GT3 CL wheels for me.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:59 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I wouldn't trust your memory of that statement. Manufacturers are known to stretch the language to extremes. I'd like to see the precise wording, and on production cars. Everybody brags about forged wheels, and I don't remember seeing that anywhere on the GT3 specs. Or on the RSs for that matter. And the fact they seem to bend that easily, doesn't indicate they're forged. Maybe they're the weak link about Porsche voiding warranty with slick tires? Who knows.
Watch the Evo release video. Yes--He mentions first forged wheel on GT production car.

Quick Reply: Bent stock GT3 rims