Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:42 PM
DallasVP17
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Is the GT3 for me?

Hi guys, this is my first post, I'm brand new to this board. I currently have a BMW M4 and my lease is up in about a year. I'm heavily considering a 991 GT3 but have a few questions to current owners. I'm 36 years old and I'm passed the demographic that drives cars such as M4's, C63's, IS Fs, etc. I want an "adult" car but don't want to give up the fun of a 2 door coupe. I've debated a new CLS 63 or a Panamera Turbo but I don't know if I'm ready for that large of a car. But, at the same time at moments I hate my M4 for city driving because it can be rough, stiff and unforgiving over bumps and city potholes. I DO NOT have the Adaptive suspension and I do have Dinan suspension installed which makes it very stiff and more harsh, but more fun at high speeds. Also keep it mind this will be my DD.

So my questions are:
Is this car good as a DD?
How harsh is it in city driving?
Has anyone driven an M4 that can make a comparison?
Is this a good choice for my situation?
If you could go back would you still have bought your GT3? Any regrets?

All comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

PS .. I did previously own a 2008 cayman and felt it was entirely too small for me. I'm 6'1 about 205.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:51 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try and find a dealer or someone who will let you take one for a test drive. I think you will know after that. Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It is batsh!t crazy good. No regrets.

Best.Car.Ever.

But I don't think I would DD mine. If I had to, probably go GTS.

Last edited by robmypro; 05-21-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:56 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

if i could only have one car, it would not be a GT3. there are many on this forum that do have and enjoy a GT3 as DD, so its very personal trade off.

for me if i wanted the fun of 2 coupe but i needed to drive it every day i would buy the new 991.2 Carerra S in a heartbeat

before making any decision you need to drive the Gt3.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:59 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
It is batsh!t crazy good. No regrets.

Best.Car.Ever.
Agree with what he said ^
Old 05-20-2016, 06:00 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a 991GTS, GT3 in my opinion too rough
Old 05-20-2016, 06:29 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I own a GT3, but agree with the above posts. A 911S or GTS would be far more livable on a daily basis. Some daily drive the GT3 but I think of mine as more of a nice day or event car.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:34 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the test drive. You will be sold! I just let a friend of mine who has a m3 drive my car for a few minutes and he was amazed at the gt3
I think the 991 gt3 is fine for a daily driver as long as you don't live in an area with a lot of snow/rain/cold weather
Old 05-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasVP17
Hi guys, this is my first post, I'm brand new to this board. I currently have a BMW M4 and my lease is up in about a year. I'm heavily considering a 991 GT3 but have a few questions to current owners. I'm 36 years old and I'm passed the demographic that drives cars such as M4's, C63's, IS Fs, etc. I want an "adult" car but don't want to give up the fun of a 2 door coupe. I've debated a new CLS 63 or a Panamera Turbo but I don't know if I'm ready for that large of a car. But, at the same time at moments I hate my M4 for city driving because it can be rough, stiff and unforgiving over bumps and city potholes. I DO NOT have the Adaptive suspension and I do have Dinan suspension installed which makes it very stiff and more harsh, but more fun at high speeds. Also keep it mind this will be my DD.

So my questions are:
Is this car good as a DD?
How harsh is it in city driving?
Has anyone driven an M4 that can make a comparison?
Is this a good choice for my situation?
If you could go back would you still have bought your GT3? Any regrets?

All comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

PS .. I did previously own a 2008 cayman and felt it was entirely too small for me. I'm 6'1 about 205.
I do not know how hash the Dinan suspension is... But 991 GT3 is a whole lot stiffer than the regular M4. The Gt3 is a lot more rough, stiff and less forgiving than the M4.

However... It is a whole different level above the M4. Be warn tho... Once you drive a GT3... the M4 will feel fat and lazy. In fact, once you drive a GT3 you will have a hard time finding anything below 150k that gives you the same level of performance, excitement, involvement and etc.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:42 PM
UT911GTS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven the M4 on and off the track. Totally different car! The GT3 is going to take the ride, good and maybe not so good, another step or two on the stiffer side! I have an X6 and I really like it. BMW makes good cars and the M4 would be right up there on my list as a performance daily driver.

I had a 997 GTS! Great car and maybe better suited to the needs you described. But as others have mentioned...go drive a few! The GT3 may blow you away so much you might be willing to give up some comfort! Good luck!
Old 05-20-2016, 06:53 PM
DallasVP17
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
I do not know how hash the Dinan suspension is... But 991 GT3 is a whole lot stiffer than the regular M4. The Gt3 is a lot more rough, stiff and less forgiving than the M4.

However... It is a whole different level above the M4. Be warn tho... Once you drive a GT3... the M4 will feel fat and lazy. In fact, once you drive a GT3 you will have a hard time finding anything below 150k that gives you the same level of performance, excitement, involvement and etc.

Wow, I get goosebumps just reading that. I'm definitely going to have to drive one soon. It's funny because I want to be able to be happy with a Panamera or a CLS63 or something like that, but I know myself. If I drove a CLS63 then a GT3 back to back I'd go with the GT3. I just cannot give up that race car drivers feel, it's so intoxicating and fun (even though I haven't driven either. ) A few years ago I was in a similar situation and test drove a BMW 550i M Sport then a M3 back to back, of course I chose the M3. But I imagine you're right, once I graduate to a 150k+ car I imagine it will be ext to impossible to go back to anything less and be happy.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:00 PM
DallasVP17
Advanced

Originally Posted by UT911GTS
I have driven the M4 on and off the track. Totally different car! The GT3 is going to take the ride, good and maybe not so good, another step or two on the stiffer side! I have an X6 and I really like it. BMW makes good cars and the M4 would be right up there on my list as a performance daily driver.

I had a 997 GTS! Great car and maybe better suited to the needs you described. But as others have mentioned...go drive a few! The GT3 may blow you away so much you might be willing to give up some comfort! Good luck!
Good points. I will definitely drive both the GTS and GT3 before making a final decision.

As far as the M4 goes, I overall have been disappointed from day 1. For me it's not fast enough, not fun enough, interior is not nice enough (no alcantara) and just boring overall, the iDrive sucks ***, exhaust note is subpar, slow shifts on the PDK, to me it seems overpriced, the electronic steering is not the best, etc. I feel in many respects the e92 was the last great M3.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:13 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

You won't regret getting a GT3. My dad went from an M3 to a GT3 and now to an M4.

He liked the GT3 over his 2012 M3.

The GT3 (guards red) was a little much for him as a DD. So he went to the M4.

He has mentioned a number of times that he should have kept the GT3.

They are completely different cars. The GT3 is much more raw and less refined than the M4. Get a GT3 with a Sharkwerks bypass and you'll NEVER think about your M4 again.

If you can find someone with a GT3 (local Cars and Coffee - make friends), go for a ride. That did it for me.

BTW - My son has an E92 M3, so we're a Porsche / BMW family... Just different cars.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

No doubt the 991Gt3 is a great car. I owned one for about 1 1/2 years and sold it. My reason for selling it was only one...no place to drive it and get the full experience of owning a GT3. The sound and handling is intoxicating. Revving to 9000rpm's is glorious. You feel the experience of a race car on the road . BUT those moments are short and fleeting unless you want a ticket with possible confiscation of the car for excessive speeding.Tracking it would require a nearby track and unless your willing to track it without insurance the daily insurance track fee is close to $1000. Also, I would not consider it a DD car though it is more compliant than you would think for a GT car.

That said, I miss it and ordered a Targa 4S to tide me over with my name high on the list for a 991.2GT3RS. Life is too short. Enjoy each moment.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:25 PM
DallasVP17
Advanced

Originally Posted by awew911
You won't regret getting a GT3. My dad went from an M3 to a GT3 and now to an M4.

He liked the GT3 over his 2012 M3.

The GT3 (guards red) was a little much for him as a DD. So he went to the M4.

He has mentioned a number of times that he should have kept the GT3.

They are completely different cars. The GT3 is much more raw and less refined than the M4. Get a GT3 with a Sharkwerks bypass and you'll NEVER think about your M4 again.

If you can find someone with a GT3 (local Cars and Coffee - make friends), go for a ride. That did it for me.

BTW - My son has an E92 M3, so we're a Porsche / BMW family... Just different cars.
Thanks. Looked up Sharkwerks bypass on YouTube - Sounds AMAZING

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 for me?