Sponsored by:

Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

My budget limits me. Fortunately with the 981 Spyder, 1 sports car is all I need. Having said that, I'm trying to get Jay Leno to adopt me. :-)
Old 05-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Shrevehorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about all 3. ($, garage, wife). But in that order, with money far ahead of 2 & 3.

Wife has a Macan S, which she loves. My daily driver is a 2015 S63. Great car, already tired of it.

Have a GT350 on order, and for the last year, #1 on my local Porsche dealer for a GT3. She is a small dealer, god only know when she gets it.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:09 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Too many awesome cars. So little space. My next acquisitions will be a long hood of some type, a gt4 at some point... And I have this strange urge for a 996gt3 track car....

Why? They are all so different yet so familiar. Each offers an experience that fits a mood. I drive them all. A lot.
You have an antique Porsche heroin addiction while I have a modern Porsche addiction.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Can never have big enough garage...but lifts help
Old 05-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 112 Posts

My in-laws live on a big lot outside the city, where I park the truck/trailer, and both track cars there with no problem. That's a huge convenience, and it's free.

I recently sold my GT4 as it was bit too "similar" to my 987, and I want a GT3 back in the stable, so waiting for the .2 manual......Got a simple V6 Cayenne for grocery getting.

Not that I'm old, but the older I get, the more I appreciate and yearn for various automotive experiences......so for me, instead of a 991 GT3RS, I'd rather spread that same money out on a slew of different sports cars.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 781 Posts

Im lucky to have an awesome wife, some space left next to my office that fits 8 cars, so rent some space and play Porsche track conciërge during the winter :-)

The racecar lives with race team and the rest alternates between home and storage space next to my desk / "dealership". Save a bit on sales tax and get write offs on the money I lose being a sucky salesman..

I learned it from Mooty.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:59 PM
'Trust'
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this changes as you get older, at least it has for me slightly, from "make it fast" to "appreciate what they are". I've been into cars since I can remember, and now at 30, as a result of a ton of work, I've had more than my fair share. Anything from my first Trans Am, to my Aventador that I bought in '14, and sold maybe 6 months later, because it was terrible, and everything in between. During that time I've had anything from 1 car total, to 6 at a time, and I can honestly say, that unless you're an avid collector, 3 "fun cars" seems to be the perfect amount for me.

I have 4 right now, and honestly, it becomes more of a chore to drive them all, slightly more a chore than a pleasure. My TTG is at SW's to be sold and just having 3 at my house feels just right. Each purpose is highly intentional; the FGT for the true supercar experience and raw feeling that comes from the early 2000's supercar mindset, the Huracan for a refined up-to-date exotic that's great to take downtown and valet at your favorite place, and the GT3 to daily on those nice days, where you get to feel special, but not like you're trying to hard.

While I respect the guys that have one and tinker obsess over them meticulously, it's not for me, the different flavors nourish my soul.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:10 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I like having a vehicle for every occasion. A 987 Spyder for the perfect day top down cruise. A 991 GT3 when I am in the mood to go racing or for a spirited drive. A Turbo Cayenne for a practical yet sporty and fun to drive classy all around vehicle. A highly maneuverable Jeep Wrangler for the mountains. A Chevy Silverado for hauling a dog and lots of stuff on trips back and forth to Colorado. And also a BMW 328 ix for my wife to drive every day around town. However time (driving and maintenance), money invested and storage (also expensive) are the drawbacks. Attrition will probably reduce the fleet from 6 to 5 in the next year or two and ultimately down to 4. It hurts my brain to think which one of my babies will end up going.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:11 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have gone down this slippery slope and in the last few yrs have gone from a 2 toy garage to a 5 toy garage. Having a lift became a way to justify an additional car, which originally was bought to allow my daily driver in the garage in winter months. That changed last yr when the daily driver stayed outside all winter.

You are 100% correct on maintenance. There are days when I wish I didn't have this many cars to maintain (also have to care for dads car and in laws car). I often turn friends down because I just don't have the time.

I have decided that 3 toys is more than enough and that is my final goal. With limited time and as stated, you can only be in 1 car at a time. Car guys will always have 1 more car than they can fit in their garage .
Old 05-08-2016, 08:24 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

I love variety, if i had more space i would add a car or 2. All of mine are different for the most part and i rotate between them weekly
Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up adding onto my garage so I can park 5 cars. I've only bought three 911 in my life and have a hard time parting with them. All three are so different and special in their own right.....at least to me.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting timing on this thread as I just posted this yesterday on another thread:

"...my self-imposed maximum car count has been three for a while. After trying various cars and having as much as five cars ready to go at any time, I've found that three is just right for my lifestyle. Any more and I feel like my car hobby demands too much of my time..."

Essentially, the three consists of one fun but practical street-only car and two race/track cars.

Interesting also that several here have mentioned three as being the number for them as well.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:48 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to think of ours more of an accumulation than a collection. To me a collection has a theme, our accumulation is a bunch of stuff weve acquired over the years and for some reason or another cant seem to let go of. Most have more sentimental value for one reason or another than they do monetary value.

As others have said, i think two cars (per person!) is a happy place. Sports car and something more practical. Of the 15+ cars we have, i drive the g wagon the most.

Honestly, the biggest constraint for us is space / access. We have several residences, all with multi-car garages, and keep a couple cars at each place so we always have something to drive that isn't a rental. So distance is one factor contributing to the ease/difficulty of enjoying them. Like others, we have warehouses for our business and keep a number of cars in a private section of one of the buildings. The issue there being we have to drive across town, unlock a bunch of gates, etc. kind of a pain when you just want to hop in and run to a quick dinner, etc.

I keep trying to buy my neighbors house so i can knock it over and build a garage / pool house, but he's not having it so i have two lifts going in at the end of the month to keep a few extra cars at our primary resodence.

I dont mind the maintenance part so much, its not so bad because the cars dont get driven to death. Have a lot of dead batteries when i forgot to reconnect the trickle chargers. The real pain is remembering to do the state emission / safety inspections and getting the right registration / insurance card in each car. I feel like im at the inspection place every other week.

But its great to have some variety to enjoy and a wife that not only supports, but contributes to the madness - i think she might like cars more than i do. She gives me carte blanche as long as it comes with two keys!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:04 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to say but "we lose the joy of what we have by always wanting more" at least for me. My first Porsche was more special than those that have followed. Same with other things: homes, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, watches, wives. Oh well, just have to deal with it.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:05 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

OP: Absolutely no regrets as the current count grows, each vehicle has its own unique niche, one of the problems that do happen is keeping track of maintenance, I can't tell you how often I have had the oil changed because I could not keep track of when, especially when using several service shops.
Years ago a friend asked "why do you have 3 Porsches?" I replied " because that is all I can fit in my garage". Thinking about that, I realized ....I need a much bigger garage, So I found a builder that was able to build my home around a 7 car garage. Not sure when I will outgrow that, but for the time being it fits me perfectly, Some may see that as excessive or unreasonable, one of the neighbors said do you get 50% off your cars.....I laughed noting that, a discount is not a good reason to buy a car.....I am fortunate to have some of the best cars on the planet to enjoy......my everyday drive to anywhere is as much fun as a daily dose of an autocross....for me it has always been the drive rather than the destination.

Quick Reply: Being a "one car" guy vs. building a stable