Sponsored by:

SmartyCam audio recording

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:11 AM
Hermes911
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Test 1 complete

Thanks for all your feedback. I purchased from Amazon an Olympus ME-51S stereo microphone based on another contributor's recommendation. I ran the microphone wire outside the passenger window, taped the wire to the rear window with blue painter's tape and zip tied the microphone in the cavity of the rear license plate. I covered the microphone with Mini Fur Microphone covers. I call them my GT3 squirrel *****. I set my AIM SmartyCam GP audio setting to "automatic".
The audio result was a dramatic improvement in audio sound. I will continue to experiment because the 991 GT3 sounds awesome and this setup is not perfect. You can sample the results on YouTube
. Any additional suggestions are welcomed.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Hermes911
Rennlist Member

Default HPDE Tech czars foil Test Session#2

After spending hours on setting up 2 SmartCams through a data hub connected to a SoloDL, the tech czars at my most resent event foiled my plans. They would not clear me through tech with suction cup mounted dash cam or Solo! They also objected to the external microphone zip tied to the vent near the rear engine compartment. So I had to remove the bullet cam, microphone and solo and just ran the one camera off of my roll bar to get on the track. BTW SoloDL ran well hidden in the side pocket of the door!

Back to Session#2 this weekend at a different event with the complete setup. Can anyone recommend a different microphone? As I mentioned in a prior posting I am using the Olypus ME51SW. I will continue to use the audio sound on "automatic" but also try the manual gain on different settings.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes911
After spending hours on setting up 2 SmartCams through a data hub connected to a SoloDL, the tech czars at my most resent event foiled my plans. They would not clear me through tech with suction cup mounted dash cam or Solo! They also objected to the external microphone zip tied to the vent near the rear engine compartment. So I had to remove the bullet cam, microphone and solo and just ran the one camera off of my roll bar to get on the track. BTW SoloDL ran well hidden in the side pocket of the door!

Back to Session#2 this weekend at a different event with the complete setup. Can anyone recommend a different microphone? As I mentioned in a prior posting I am using the Olypus ME51SW. I will continue to use the audio sound on "automatic" but also try the manual gain on different settings.
That is crazy! At Barber and Road Atlanta they don't even make me take down my radar detector.

BTW..the sound is great in your video!!
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the Smartycam HD2 with an Olympus ME-51S microphone. The mic cable is run through the firewall and the mic is above the engine compartment. This location doesn't result in any clipping, like I got above the license plate. Any of my recent Youtube videos use this location. Here is one from Road Atlanta.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:03 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I'm using the Smartycam HD2 with an Olympus ME-51S microphone. The mic cable is run through the firewall and the mic is above the engine compartment. This location doesn't result in any clipping, like I got above the license plate. Any of my recent Youtube videos use this location. Here is one from Road Atlanta.

https://youtu.be/9QNmZvPXEXI
I like this sound the best so far, although it's still lacking low end. Less clipping than my set up with mic inside rear bumper. Where exactly is the mic? Over the carbon fiber engine compartment cover?
Old 06-04-2016, 06:51 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I like this sound the best so far, although it's still lacking low end. Less clipping than my set up with mic inside rear bumper. Where exactly is the mic? Over the carbon fiber engine compartment cover?
Thanks. I took off the plastic fan cover above the engine (it pops right off when pulled) and have the mic zip tied in that area.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:38 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For GT4 owners that have the AiM integrated mic cable, the best place to put the mic is tucked into the child seat anchor hole behind the passenger seat. No wind noise at all and you hear the engine, shifts and some squeaking brakes (in my case). Ill post as soon as I can get a lap edit together.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:33 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is the best option in the GT4 using all AIM parts. Using my mistake on the day to illustrate.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Hermes911
Rennlist Member

Default Audio recording - better set up

I have identified a much better set up for audio feed to my AIM SmartyCam with external microphone. From Amazon - Olympus ME-51S Stereo microphone + Mini Fur microphone windscreen. As a temporary fix, I fixed the microphone wire through the passenger window, taped to rear window, under the engine access door and zip tied to the license plate area (alternatively grill work above). The audio recording level set to automatic. Beware- tech line inspectors at DE events may not permit this or suction mount cameras. SAMPLE
I will continue experimenting.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam audio recording