Sponsored by:

Review: OEM Surface Transforms PCCB Rotor Kit for 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 06:13 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
Looking forward to hearing your impressions Mike : )
It will be a few more days. Need to get the replacements for the piston dust boots, they were cracking and we felt it best to replace those since we are doing your alloy pucks too. Hope to be bedding in the brakes next week.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:07 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Anybody have a link on STs?
Old 06-10-2018, 08:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Old 06-11-2018, 11:59 AM
AutoquestMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Anybody have a link on STs?
PM sent : )
Old 06-11-2018, 03:26 PM
AutoquestMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another great review on the ST rotors : )

“I race a 2016 Porsche GT4 in Australia and have had the pleasure of receiving advice and technical support from John and Gavin at Autoquest who have helped with my race setup and getting the most out of this wonderful car. Most recently I fitted a set of Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic brake rotors to the Porsche (supplied by Autoquest) and the results are outstanding. The brakes run noticeably cooler and combined with Pagid RSC1 pads there is zero fade and a great feeling pedal. The unsprung weight of approx. 23 kgs no doubt helps the suspension performance. Thanks John and Gavin I hope to keep working with you and the wonderful team at Autoquest to make my GT4 the best performing car down under”……..Tim Hendy 2017 Australian Tarmac Rally Champion
Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Refurbished ST Rotors Update

Guys,

Awhile back, before I sold my GT3 991.1, I took off the STs, and put back on the car the pristine OEM PCCBs I had set aside.

I sent the ST Rotors for refurbishment to Gavin at AutoQuest, and they were forwarded back to the UK for processing.

About 1.5 months later, including shipping, and about $2K, they came back pristine and for all intents and purposes, new again, except for one "heat cycle".

I have since sold the refurbished rotors with a new hardware kit to a gentlemen in Texas who drives COTA a fair amount in his GT3 991.1. So far he is enjoying the refurbished rotors without issue, as I understand it.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:43 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Knowing different type of CCM rotors in design, material and construction

Traditional Straight Vane Design (Brembo & ST): Rotor are non-directional (Left and right are the same, less efficient in cooling)

RB's Angle Vane Design: Rotors are directional (More efficient in cooling air circulation and can keep braking temperature lower)

Disc Finish:

Brembo

Surface Transforms

RB

Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

See our comprehensive CCM offer for Porsche, whether you are just looking for replacement, upgrade, or a complete CCB brake system with RB calipers, we have what you need.

https://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7547.htm

All components are in stock for a quick turn around shipment.

The most experienced and trusted brand in CCB brake technology.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:53 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Pccb direct OE replacement:

Front (410x36): https://www.racingbrake.com/Porsche-...CCB-p/2c19.htm

In stock.

Rear (390x32): https://www.racingbrake.com/Porsche-...32m-p/2c20.htm

In stock.

Same rotor kit is available for upgrade from standard brake with iron rotors (380/380mm) and GT4 with our precisely designed caliper spacer/adaptors for a bolt-on installation.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:46 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

I just had 3 track days with my GT3 with steel brakes. And I have a vibration on those already.

I am thinking on doing an upgrade.

Would ST kit match perfectly my red calipers from my OEM steel brakes setup?
Old 07-08-2018, 03:09 AM
cpturbo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
Very happy to hear you guys are enjoying them so far! : )

You need to be Very cautious with the PCCB "refurbishments". There are two main causes for replacement on conventional carbon ceramic rotors made by Brembo and SGL (PCCB), wear on the surface layer and carbon oxidation throughout the core of the rotor. This carbon oxidation is the key factor, as loss of carbon throughout the core of the rotor causes a decrease in it's structural integrity throughout it's lifetime. This is why PCCB rotors are weighed or measured for carbon content to determine replacement. It is not possible to add carbon content back into a rotor. Therefore, all those companies are doing is refreshing the surface layer of the rotor for continued use, on a rotor that could very well be structurally unsound if they haven't been measured/weighed.

ST rotors are manufactured very different from the conventional carbon ceramic rotors. They are made out of layers upon layers of interwoven carbon cloth, instead of discontinuous bits of carbon. This basic difference (among several other variables) limits the carbon oxidation to the face of the ST rotors, which maintains the core strength of the rotor and allows it to be truly and safely refurbished throughout it's life.

Angiko if you are planning to track the car 10-12 times a year you should strongly consider saving the $9k option for the PCCBs and putting it towards the ST rotors. It is what all of the guys we work with have done on their builds. As explained above, when PCCB's reach their limit on carbon loss there is no saving them and you are out about $25k. If you save the $9k on the PCCB's and opt for the $13k ST rotors, the extra funds are offset at the first refurbishment. Instead of spending about $6000 per rotor to replace the PCCB's, you are spending about $600 per rotor to refurbish the ST's. These savings are compounded over time as you refurbish the ST rotors multiple times, versus tossing the PCCB rotors when they are done and having to spend $25k again and again. The cherry on top is that you can offset the initial costs of running ST rotors instead of PCCBs, as the factory cast iron rotors retail for about $4k a set and you can sell those if you wish. Therefore, your investment in the ST rotors would come out to be about the same as PCCBs and you have the tried and proven refurbishable ST carbon ceramic rotors that also have the additional benefits over PCCBs of better brake modulation/trailbraking, more aggressive pad options, longer pad life, cooler operating temperatures, etc. It is the logical choice. And if you want yellow calipers you can always have your red ones powdercoated yellow as we have done on several of our builds haha.

The red and yellow calipers from factory are the same calipers, the yellow are simply spaced out in the casting to accommodate the larger rotor diameter. When you swap to the ST rotors and space out the red calipers, you will simply use the same pad shape as the factory yellow calipers as they are the same caliper and now spaced out the same. For your reference the pad shape on the rear red and yellow calipers are the same from factory, it is just the front that differs slightly by fitting a wider pad to take advantage of the larger surface area of the ceramics.
This issue has been resolved. Thank you to Autoquest.

Last edited by cpturbo; 07-14-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:39 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kart driver
I just had 3 track days with my GT3 with steel brakes. And I have a vibration on those already.

I am thinking on doing an upgrade.

Would ST kit match perfectly my red calipers from my OEM steel brakes setup?
Yes, it’s an easy swap to ST and I recommend it.
But steel rotors having vibration isn’t normal. Probably just material transfer that goes away after a couple of laps at the track. What pads did you run?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpturbo
I have these rotors on my McLaren and love them. I bought them through MoVit Brakes USA. Well, surface transforms went through some company drama and retooled their company. That's good for us all. The problem is that I loaned them a front and rear upright and corresponding calipers for obtaining TUV approval and they have had it for months. Basically, they took them and will not return them. ST, you know who I am. Return my stuff ASAP!!!

Sorry but this was necessary. I've been waiting a long time
Where did you send your parts to?
ST UK?

Or and ST distributor? Where are you located?
Old 07-08-2018, 02:24 PM
cpturbo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Where did you send your parts to?
ST UK?

Or and ST distributor? Where are you located?
This issue is nearly resolved!

Last edited by cpturbo; 07-14-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:53 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the part/ number for steel replacement on a 15-gt3 with steel?

Quick Reply: Review: OEM Surface Transforms PCCB Rotor Kit for 991 GT3