Sponsored by:

1RS Owners: Genuine Disappointment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yeah, I can't go back. 997 steering tiny bit more feel, so you can feel the car not going where you want it to go. I rather feel tiny bit less when it IS going where I want it to go. Turns like mid engine but feels and stops like rear engine No mods, no wheels no tools. Just perfect in track and perfect for driving home quiet on blue tooth / nav, good radio. What's not to like? It's my dayly driver now. I was thinking selling RS once. But now all the rest goes instead. It's also too big, but with my fat giraffe build that's perfect. The most playful car I have ever driven, so easy to drift rotate and play and there is a very very good catching net for when you run out of talent or hit a 997 coolant patch. No, I loved the 964RS as much as a 997 GT3 drives the same just slower. Is that testament to how good RSA is or how little improved the 4.0 is?? Loving Mr purple enough to now sit back wondering if I still want a GT4, if so its for budget only. The 964RSA is going to get sold. I'll just never grab it over Mr purple... I can't wait to try this technology with a couple turbos strapped on....
Feeling very similar to you here Peter. This car fits well with my lifestyle! Manifold is correct, the harder you push this thing and start tossing it around the more awesome it becomes. The thought has occurred to me to sell the 993, use the money to funds my track cocaine habit, buy a container of MPSC2 tyres and the Dunson exhaust and just keep using this car at every opportunity for quite a few years more :-)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
It's one thing to go on a forum and just bash people but it's another thing to go on a forum and give harsh but honest opinions. In my line of work I surround myself with people that challenge me instead of saying 'yes' all the time. It's helped my division grow and outperform the rest of the business segments. I'm getting promoted and taking my team with me - because I love to hear opposing arguments and they deserve this promotion as much as I do. Sometimes they're correct and I'm wrong and sometimes I'm right and they're wrong. I knew in a few hours of driving the 991 GT3 in the suburbs surrounding the Heckenheimring and on the actual Hockenheimring that the 991 GT3 wasn't for me. The car was sterile and falsely inspirational. A 9000 RPM engine? So what? Lighting quick gear changes? So what? What does that do? A computer on wheels - a car, in most people's hands, that is faster in auto mode on the track than manual mode. That's not a GT3 as we know it. That's a gimmick. Not all technology is good, not all technology is beneficial. Formel 1 cars are the fastest most brutal cars on the track. 99.1% of the people here would not be able to turn even a quarter lap without spinning out of control. The nature of race cars - need very quick reflexes and an intuitive automotive feel to drive them. The 997 and 996 cars gave us a little bit of this challenge (they're not race cars either) but the 991 force fed us false confidence and piśśing contests. The really good drivers will be bored with the 991, but the average drivers will love it since it elevates them artificially to something they want to be. .
Or maybe you're just not a good enough driver to enjoy its limits, because some world class drivers and racers have praised the car and chosen to own one themselves. Trust the opinion of LeMans winning pro race car driver or track day guy from Rennlist. Hmmm, who to believe...
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
off topic, ya think you have enough Porsches? But then I stop and think to myself, One can never have enough Porsches!
You're right on the money... never enough if they're good!

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Comparing race prepped anything to a street car is silly.
Agree. And to keep this from dog territory, I'm gonna throw in the towel. Sell if I can (unlikely), and if I can't I'll whip it within an inch of its life and no regrets.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yeah, I can't go back.
997 steering tiny bit more feel, so you can feel the car not going where you want it to go. I rather feel tiny bit less when it IS going where I want it to go.

Loving Mr purple enough to now sit back wondering if I still want a GT4, if so its for budget only. The 964RSA is going to get sold. I'll just never grab it over Mr purple...

I can't wait to try this technology with a couple turbos strapped on....
MONEY... Indeed the earlier cars tell you a lot of what they can't do... and is that better than the 1RS not telling you what it can do? I can see the argument

You don't want a GT4 on track. On street it's perfect for me but boy taking that car to track has been frustrating... underpowered and inadequate gearing IMO...

Originally Posted by Macca
...the harder you push this thing and start tossing it around the more awesome it becomes. The thought has occurred to me to sell the 993, use the money to funds my track cocaine habit, buy a container of MPSC2 tyres and the Dunson exhaust and just keep using this car at every opportunity for quite a few years more :-)
Yeah I think I've gained my share of perspective from the good folks here. Thanks everyone. Let's close it out before it degenerates into the bad stuff...

Cheers all!

Quick Reply: 1RS Owners: Genuine Disappointment?