Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 04:13 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DLC on DLC

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Considering that Porsche have now applied the DLC to the cam lobes as well the rocker arms, so that we now have DLC on DLC. Does this potentially make a difference?
Rubbing together two like kind surfaces with the same surface energy and frictional coefficients may be beneficial and reduce wear vs hard on soft.

I surmise that Dieter and rest of the P-Boyz back in Stuttgart must have data that says so. Or as further insurance. Overkill is a good thing methinks.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Just top end mezger refresh is 25K, triple that to punch it out for more cow bell.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:18 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Not sure I am interpreting this correctly (Macca will know) but according to this, the full cost for a complete engine replacement is $97K ! Surely that can't be right!

http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/pet/por...3/541u/101000/
My new "G" motor cost $61K... which to me sounds about right. The Mezger motor for a 2010 GT3 cost $40K with the core.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:23 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Got my oil report back from Blackstone. Of course it only had about 700 miles on it, but wanted to just make sure all was well to start with before tracking. I'll post on the oil report thread later.
Name:  oil-analysis1.png
Views: 927
Size:  52.0 KB
Old 08-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce987
My new "G" motor cost $61K... which to me sounds about right. The Mezger motor for a 2010 GT3 cost $40K with the core.
The prices quoted in the PET are MSRP for a complete engine no core. I suspect one could get a reasonable discount on such an engine through Suncoast etc however at this stage I doubt anyone has needed to so it's somewhat academic. The dealer cost on these is probably closer to 60k as Bruce has eluded. The pet shows some interesting data. The MY15:16 engines are 5% more expensive than the MY14 engines and the RS and GT3 engines are materially virtually the same cost. Assuming volume and the more expensive crank on the RS it's hard to understand this - it's probably an anomaly. Of course this assumes the crank is different (not just a different part number to reflect the capacity increase - bear sized etc)and it wasn't already there all along from the beginning but just highlighted by AP at the alRS launch. In fact on the PET the GT3 crank is showing as more expensive than the RS one! Go figure...

Chris thanks for confirming the part number on your new heads. I will lose this question to Porsche. The part number is not the same as the latest GT3/RS heads (the same part) on the July onwards builds not is it the same as the 911R head. Also the last two digits "9R" are not consistent with the pet parts nomlature. The last two digits are usually decimal numbers and refer to the revision number or "83", "84" etc. at this stage I can only conclude they are a replacement part number for Retrofit kit as supplied to your dealer. Either that or they are a part that will show up in time on PET. It's hard to know if they differ in any way from G heads or 911R heads but at this stage I would guess no, or else the latest MA176 iteration in the 911R would incorporate them (one would think)....
Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

A 3.8 Mezger is $71k with core, pic of invoice below

Old 08-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Lukas_at
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a little bit of a side track but some pages before we talked about this. I got confirmation from Porsche NA that 2014 GT3 dont get CPO.

"To confirm, the dealership is correct in saying that the vehicle cannot be CPO'd. This is because Porsche AG placed an additional 1 year/50,000 miles on the 4 year/50,000 miles warranty, whichever comes first. "

So I guess everybody who got CPO with 2014 GT3s had a good rep ;-). However for me it was just important that the dealer didnt lie to me.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Just top end mezger refresh is 25K, triple that to punch it out for more cow bell.
We can do a 4.2L with all kinds of fancy parts for way less than 75k...

Originally Posted by unclejosh
Guys,

For discussion. I thought this was worth a shot. I am a chemist and materials guy. Back in the day, I deposited DLC films and low-k dielectrics by PECVD and analyzed the materials.

Briefly, and not surprisingly, DLC film physical properties depend on the starting precursors (molecules/chemicals) in concert with the deposition process parameters. There is a continuum of material properties available to the practitioner based on varying the parameters.

Importantly,

DLC films are carbon based and thus have little to no affinity to inorganic/metal surfaces, so they can easily delaminate if the surface was not properly prepared. Cleanliness, roughness, and tie layers and/or pre-treatments are critical to adhesion. Think about using scotch tape on a dirty surface, won't stick.

Critically, and perhaps counterintuitively,

thicker is not necessarily better, and in many cases a film that is too thick may be a film with significant internal stresses. Combined with high rigidity and hardness, films that are too thick delaminate and crack. Think about bending a glass rod to the breaking point vs. a glass fiber. Which is more flexible and absorbs the work stresses more before failure? (bending moment)..

The valve train DLC failures can be easily analyzed by optical microscopy and/or a scanning electron microscope. This is routine in materials science and engineering as many of you know. I would like to see the images!

The other aspect to consider is that Porsche likely farmed out the DLC coating to a vendor who possibly made errors in the processing ala the GT3 connecting rod cap bolt snafu. Back in the day, I worked at Applied Materials and other companies where we deposited films. Sometimes there is a voodoo or trade secret aspect which may be difficult to repeat or depends on a certain apparatus.

Combine all the above with the high rpm mechanical stress and shearing, and I am not too surprised that the film failed. It is a gamble to depend on such a film in such a critical application. This is not a disposable machine tool app.

I imagine Porsche had these motors running on dynos for hours and hours followed by tearing down the valve trains and inspection? Or maybe they saw failures that were within the statistical norm, or they did not count on so many hard core trackers vs. low stress weekend jaunt types?

I hope the DLC lasts in my '16 G motor. I am closing on 2000 track miles.

Any other chemists or materials guys out there and/or other thoughts around the failure modes?
Chem E from the semiconductor world as well, was a CMP guy, so polishing materials away and understanding fluid dynamics was key. I think the situation here is relatively straight forward. The DLC used was substandard and was improved multiple times, but the root cause was not, until recently, addressed. If no oil film forms, just about any dry coating rubbing on another dry material (metal, dlc, etc) will fail. If the cams are a different profile and allow an oil film to be sustained then they may have a winner.

As I said our fix is based on the fact that no oil film was forming. Our parts are still in process and we will still be testing them...

Originally Posted by Lukas_at
I know this is a little bit of a side track but some pages before we talked about this. I got confirmation from Porsche NA that 2014 GT3 dont get CPO.

"To confirm, the dealership is correct in saying that the vehicle cannot be CPO'd. This is because Porsche AG placed an additional 1 year/50,000 miles on the 4 year/50,000 miles warranty, whichever comes first. "

So I guess everybody who got CPO with 2014 GT3s had a good rep ;-). However for me it was just important that the dealer didnt lie to me.
Must be a new thing as the end of the year last year, my 2014 GT3 was CPO'd... Glad the dealer was truthful with you...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 08-11-2016, 10:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

How is there no oil film when the engine is running? I can see no oil film on startup but when the engine is running there's all kinds of oil being tossed around!
Old 08-11-2016, 10:51 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

If the valve train isn't setup properly, then the oil film is squeegeed away due to the agressive contact of the cam and finger follower...

They recently changed the cams and recognize that there isn't an oil film staying on the cam lobes...
Old 08-12-2016, 02:32 AM
Vincent Hu
2nd Gear

Just got my gt3 with F engine,
reading these posts make me worried,
wondering will changing the exhaust/side muffler delete void warranty?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-12-2016, 02:41 AM
Vincent Hu
2nd Gear

Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 AM
home7271
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
If the valve train isn't setup properly, then the oil film is squeegeed away due to the agressive contact of the cam and finger follower...

They recently changed the cams and recognize that there isn't an oil film staying on the cam lobes...
Jamie,

Are you saying this can happen throughout the entire rpm range or just at higher rpms?
Old 08-12-2016, 03:04 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent Hu
Just got my gt3 with F engine,
reading these posts make me worried,
wondering will changing the exhaust/side muffler delete void warranty?

Thanks in advance
First congratulations on the GT3. For the muffler question you should ask your service writer. Most on here, myself included, have not had an issue just changing the muffler.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by levd
2. PDK is working strange in city traffic. When I drive slow, and trying to accelerate smooth, I see RPM's going up and also hear the sound, but there's no acceleration. Then car jumps forward, as something was holding it before, then released. It's even worse with elevation (loading car on trailer is tricky. You try to go up, car stays still. RPM's go up to 3-4000, then car jumps forward. Bloody scary.) PDK was recalibrated at the dealer's in May, but nothing changed.
Experienced same with 2015 GT3. Also on occasion would not respond to significant throttle application then suddenly wake up and take off.

Have not experienced any of these issues in RS. Torture tested it yday in 90 mins of crawling bumper to bumper traffic in 105 degree heat.

Too reset the oil indicator, the mechanic turned off the motor, raised the back lid and close it... that's how you force an oil reset - makes the oil level recalculate. Now it reads two bars below high.
Eureka. That partially explains why oil level went up by one bar after I shut car off and opened trunk to cool after a track session. Guess I should read the manual.

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Jamie, what are they doing to prevent the same problem on the cup cars.......? I would think there would be a solution by now, and I'm assuming this is why it took 4 years to drop the mezger.
What they're doing is still using the Mezger in the Cup car. Maybe in 2017 we'll see a new motor.....

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?