Sponsored by:

Are DFI engines unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Are DFI engines unreliable?

In case you are not aware,in a direct injection engine,the injector sprays directly into the combustion chamber,thus on top of the piston. Checking Porsche's DFI design,I was a bit hopeful that these engines will not suffer VW and Audi's faith,but I might have been mistaking about that.
I am not looking forward seeing what happens in higher miles engines...

This is a post I've made about DFI engines in a different thread :

Originally Posted by neanicu
Another point I need to make : I don't like DFI engines. They make more power and they're more efficient but I hate them!
If you are a technical person that understands in detail the workings of an engine,you are fairly skilled at working on an engine and most importantly YOU CARE ABOUT RELIABILITY,you will not like a DFI engine. They are very complex,very very expensive to maintain and fragile IMO. The injectors are exposed to extreme heat causing them to fail,coils fail due to heat,spark plugs wear at a ridiculous rate etc. The PCV systems in these are complete garbage,they are dumping oil vapors on the back of the valves with no way of cleaning them short of pulling the head. It is the reason why most manufacturers are adding back port injection,either in the form of spraying gas occasionally on demand,or spraying water,which forms a fine mist that turns into vapors from heat and cleans the valves.
Direct injection combined with Port injection is the only way moving forward IMO.

EDIT : Photo removed. Sorry.

Last edited by neanicu; 02-04-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:50 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Old 02-03-2016, 11:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

This is why I was a bit more hopeful about Porsche's DFI design. Notice in the pic that it seems there's a chance fuel gets a bit on the intake valve,but I don't know what happens in reality...

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:03 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I could use a little edumacation here, as a non-engineer, non-technical noob. How would, say, a non-DFI Mezger engine look at similar number of miles? Does this degree of carbon buildup cause problems? If so, what are they? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why is the GT4 engine taken apart?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,209 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is why I was a bit more hopeful about Porsche's DFI design. Notice in the pic that it seems there's a chance fuel gets a bit on the intake valve,but I don't know what happens in reality...
My understanding is that one of the main advantages of DFI is that the fuel can be injected later during compression stroke and not the intake stroke. So the fuel will not spray while the intake valve is open, correct? That pic seems inaccurate.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:15 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I, for one, appreciate your continued trolling of this forum. That said, I rest easy knowing literally no one cares what you think.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
I could use a little edumacation here, as a non-engineer, non-technical noob. How would, say, a non-DFI Mezger engine look at similar number of miles? Does this degree of carbon buildup cause problems? If so, what are they? Thanks in advance.
Before I answer,I'd like to point out I am not trying to make this thread a Mezger vs 9A1 thread. I am certainly not implying that's what you've meant,you have always been a gentleman and it would be my pleasure to answer.
I don't remember seeing that amount of carbon buildup in port injection engines at 100K miles,let alone at 2200. I do not believe that amount of carbon on top of the piston can cause trouble,but I am afraid it's quite a lot more on the back of the valves,where fuel does not reach and clean anymore. Looking at Porsche's DFI design,it would seem that the exhaust valves would be most affected.
Sure,if the valves do not open and close properly because of carbon buildup,it can cause misfires in the engine. AFAIK,the misfires manifest especially on cold startup.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by silverrules
Why is the GT4 engine taken apart?
Because BGB is upgrading their engine to a 4.0 L.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I, for one, appreciate your continued trolling of this forum. That said, I rest easy knowing literally no one cares what you think.
I am not trolling. I own this engine and I am just as concerned. Pay attention,you might learn something. You are certainly not bringing anything valuable here. Besides the tools thread,I have not seen any useful posts from you.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:27 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, that explanation is helpful. Thanks! I guess we'll have to wait and see if we start seeing cars coming in with misfires of this sort. I haven't heard of this being a problem in particular, in either the current 9A1 or the post-2009 Mezger DFI engines. (I don't want to make this a Mezger vs 9A1 debate either!!! That dead horse has been flogged enough already.)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

That's a bit of a reckless headline to a thread...

This has been an accusation of DFI engines for awhile now. It's not quite that black and white. Here is a nice explanation:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-engines-.html

Mj
Old 02-03-2016, 11:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rk-d
My understanding is that one of the main advantages of DFI is that the fuel can be injected later during compression stroke and not the intake stroke. So the fuel will not spray while the intake valve is open, correct? That pic seems inaccurate.
Of course DFI engines have advantages : they make more power and are more fuel efficient.
I believe the pic is from a Porsche technical brochure and it represents the boxer DFI engine,but I can't be certain if the spray of gasoline actually hits the intake valve,as represented in the pic.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Good news is I haven't heard of any 9A1 engines expiring due to this issue. Which is not to say it won't happen. For those of us with E or F engines it might just be something we taker care when we replace our rockers on the 50,001 mi. major service.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Not a troll post. This is fact. Fuel does not spray across the valves and as a result carbon builds up in a bad way. Just ask any mini owner who starts getting misfire codes every year and has to go in for a 'valve cleaning service' where they pull the intake manifold and shoot the valves with walnut shells to clean them. Same with BMW. I believe it is Toyota who is putting a port injector on these to occasionally spray fuel on the valves to keep them clean.

Good pic here of a 997.2 DFI motor (9A1 design):

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-build-up.html

Quick Reply: Are DFI engines unreliable?