Sponsored by:

991GT3RS --> bought - stripped - repainted

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:17 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wow. All that effort and he picks a crap color. Proof money can't buy taste.
+1
Old 01-25-2016, 08:28 AM
RDH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 ....to each is own...guessing he's happy
Old 01-25-2016, 12:49 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I thought this was established way before you saw my wrist. I mean I go through cars like underware and have an RS on the way. Lol

Plus I'm Jewish. We got/get everything with 30% off. Lol

And I'll show myself out.
Lol, Glad YOU said it. No one does self deprecation better.

As for the car Its hard to imagine getting every nut/bolt retorqued and every clip/plug, screw and rubber seal back to spec for factory like performance. That effort is way beyond your average rappers delight tape and spray.
To bad the car was white to start, he should have taken a Barney, Slimer or Great Pumpkin off the streets.

But the ONLY question, Did he pay MSRP?
Old 01-25-2016, 01:34 PM
The New 911
Pro

Reminds me of a Deeper, Orangier with some Red added Nordic Gold Metallic. Though it's a stretch at best but the closest color I can come up with. One thing is for sure is it will be Easy to Spot while driving. Just don't drive too Fast and don't change lanes too often and in quick repetition.

But I like it, brilliant deep color. Is there any Pearl in it?
Old 01-25-2016, 01:44 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Reminds me of the old Santa Cruz anodized orange, for those of you into mountain bikes.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Reminds me of the old Santa Cruz anodized orange, for those of you into mountain bikes.
Or a bit like my Specialized Enduro SL

Old 01-25-2016, 02:52 PM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by rk-d

Man, that is one Bitchen Frame. Can you do Full on Down Hills, Mountains, racing with the right Suspension on that frame? I don't think I have ever seen a Frame Articulated with it's Bottom Bracket and it's Rear Triangle like that. Certainly is an innovation for sure.

Keep On Hammering!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:59 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
Man, that is one Bitchen Frame. Can you do Full on Down Hills, Mountains, racing with the right Suspension on that frame? I don't think I have ever seen a Frame Articulated with it's Bottom Bracket and it's Rear Triangle like that. Certainly is an innovation for sure.

Keep On Hammering!
Yeah that's Santa Cruz's VPP suspension. It's good at being both supple on downhills and firm on pedaling. They make hardcore downhillers in that design as well. I used to have an Intense Spyder with the VPP suspension design - it was awesome.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:12 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

Pretty cool if indeed this is being down through "PSO" as he calls it on his IG for Porsche Special Operations. I have only heard of MSO for McLaren, but if it is indeed all done by Porsche and approved and warrantied then this is pretty cool. Costly change though I am sure!
Old 01-25-2016, 03:18 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
Lol, Glad YOU said it. No one does self deprecation better.

As for the car Its hard to imagine getting every nut/bolt retorqued and every clip/plug, screw and rubber seal back to spec for factory like performance. That effort is way beyond your average rappers delight tape and spray.
To bad the car was white to start, he should have taken a Barney, Slimer or Great Pumpkin off the streets.

But the ONLY question, Did he pay MSRP?
He's the first owner and paid retail price .
Don't worry about the car , it's Porsche zentrum uk . They do the same thing for Eric Clapton etc
Originally Posted by The New 911
Reminds me of a Deeper, Orangier with some Red added Nordic Gold Metallic. Though it's a stretch at best but the closest color I can come up with. One thing is for sure is it will be Easy to Spot while driving. Just don't drive too Fast and don't change lanes too often and in quick repetition.

But I like it, brilliant deep color. Is there any Pearl in it?
I know it's brilliantly metallic , afraid I can't confirm if it's pearl but I suspect yes
Originally Posted by mile2424
Pretty cool if indeed this is being down through "PSO" as he calls it on his IG for Porsche Special Operations. I have only heard of MSO for McLaren, but if it is indeed all done by Porsche and approved and warrantied then this is pretty cool. Costly change though I am sure!
Again , this is being done by Porsche zentrum uk , head office . They do these special ops for clients .
Old 01-25-2016, 04:02 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by jumper5836
+1
Originally Posted by RDH
+2 ....to each is own...guessing he's happy
Just purely and only because you don't agree with the colour choice makes this a case of 'money can't buy taste' ?
This says more about you than the cars owner from where I'm sitting .
Old 01-25-2016, 04:14 PM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Fear not re rattles , this is done through Porsche Zentrum uk , the same folk that do Eric Claptons cars

It ought to be fine, or will get fixed.

If Ron Dennis had such work done on his cars at the Porsche Centre, that would be telling.

Clapton - I like his music
Old 01-25-2016, 04:26 PM
The New 911
Pro

Originally Posted by 993RR
It ought to be fine, or will get fixed.

If Ron Dennis had such work done on his cars at the Porsche Centre, that would be telling.

Clapton - I like his music
Wow what a TRIP Man!!!

I've Been on a "Cream" TEAR this morning going through Disraeli Gears, Fresh Cream and Wheels of Fire. Listened to every song on all Three Albums before I saw that reference to Clapton! Purely Coincidence, or is it ?

You can really see and tell why Clapton's Nickname is "Slowhand" on the song "Born Under A Bad Sign".
Old 01-25-2016, 04:44 PM
RDH
Racer

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Just purely and only because you don't agree with the colour choice makes this a case of 'money can't buy taste' ?
This says more about you than the cars owner from where I'm sitting .
I wasn't agreeing to the $$/taste side but the color selection...while I'm cool with doing the paint job I would have choose another color ...but its his car and he's happy with that...whats the big deal with that...the color looks like Mclaren Volcano Orange ...
Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Woppum
Advanced

Well I never, all this talk about little old me and this project of mine. Looks like some of you approve, some think I’m a ****** and some are taking the **** out my Mikey mouse RM that I won in a game of strip poker indown town Bangkok.

You are free to ask me questions, and my good friend Doom has filled in quite a lot of the gap already but I will happily give you alittle background.

You see until year 2015 I was a little bit of plankton swimming in the sea of Porsche. When I originally asked if I could please have the new RS even through the best salesman on the planet I faced gritted teeth… eventhough I knew he would fight my good fight. Luckily a few things happened. I boughta Turbo S as a daily which I love to death, I then bought 2 991 GTS for family, a Cayenne GTS, a 918 (although sadly not new, 350 miles on the clock premiumqueen) and a 991.2 C4S. Thank god my family/friends suddenly saw the light and bought in to Porsche…..i wonder how that happened? Well al things considered I got the car. The car I knew I needed, not in a spoilt little twerp way but because I knewhow good it would be and has a roll cage and harnesses. I can not tell you how unsafe I feel ragging my other cars round a track with just a seat belt! I love to track and this was a very important car to me.

When my incredible salesman told me he got me a car as you can imagine I was over the moon. I went round the houses on colour. Got Reading to make me samples, looked through all the old archives of Porsche colours and none of them did it for me. My ultimate 911 of the moment that I plan to keep forever was not perfect. This was a shame. Luckily I remembered bumping in to a lovely chap called Matteo Gilles at a supercar party. We got talking about cars and when he realised I had a 599 GTO he pulled his ipad out his satchel andstarted showing me all the original sketches of the car. He designed it! After lookingthrough his archives of incredible bespoke successes (which I wont mention ashe is a private guy) I knew then 1. We would become good friends and 2. We would do something together…. So he got the call….

I knew exactly what I wanted. Almost down to the nut and bolt. I had to order a white car because white acts as a blank canvas, rub it down and the plastic, magnesium, carbon surfaces all react the same to paint. Matteo made my vision become a reality through CAD work. We developed thecolour (worrange), we designed the stripe detail. We chose the bespoke silver andblack metallic paints with the exact size fleck and depth that worked with theworrange. I designed the wheel. Very simply the vision was 918 wheel with thestock RS wheel. Dip it in the perfect black metallic paint then diamond finishevery single front facing edge. I am yet to see them on the car but I have a good feeling they will work!

The 997.1 livery was designed by Highgatehouse, they do alot of motorsport livery, both stickers and stencils. The classic ‘singer’ typelivery was designed and vectored by Matteo, Highgate house then printed themboth off. Last Friday was the great unveiling. You can see all the pics on my Instagram @woppum. We adapted the stripe with masking tape to make perfect, we put each livery on each side and chose the favourite (997.1). What I wasn’t happy with was the quality of the silver and black metallic used, so we adapted itand Reading are going to drive over to my office later this week a finished mock bonnet for my final approval.

What I haven’t mentioned in all this is why I had the confidence to see this through. 1. Having a 918 I know reading, I know the people and I know their capabilities. Friends like Doom who know them all as friends gave me even more confidence. I have seen the quality of their work many times and it's second to none. What Reading are lacking (at the moment) is the design and development service however they have good external help like Matteo and Rick that can bring dreams to fruition. Reading work with Rick all the time on special projects like this. All I can say is what a team. I was called upon rarely, they worked together onmy vision, knew exactly how to do it and the quality and speed to Readings workhad every company in the autotrade watching my Instagram totally flabbergasted.Twice a day were they updating me with a fleet of photos plus detail on whatthey were going to cover. It was and is so totally in control.

The work is not finished yet. After I approve the bonnet they need to take it all apart and paint the livery, fit the wheels, wrap ever mm of it with protective film and then hand it over…

So as some of you asked ‘why did I do it’?

• Because I had the vision
  • Because I had the capability and passion for the project
  • Because I had the best team in the business to pull it through

Love it or hate it…your choice. I love it, I have enjoyed doing it. I have learnt a lot, opened doors and come up with a car that hopefully when I’m 80 sitting in a collection will feel really proud and pleased I made it and went through the whole process.

Last edited by Woppum; 01-25-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 991GT3RS --> bought - stripped - repainted