Sponsored by:

Some details on 9A1 engine in GT3R

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Some details on 9A1 engine in GT3R

The latest issue of Christophorus states that the engine in the GT3R is based on the 9A1 in the RS. Allegedly it pumps out 500 hp (same as the RS) but with higher torque (figure is unspecified). The engine has new bearings for the crankshaft, a new tuning for the intake camshaft, and a new control unit designed for racing. A heady 9500 RPM limiter figure is quoted.

I do not know how comprehensive is the description in the article. One can speculate that if these are the extent of the changes that the engine is then quite close to those in the GT3/RS cars. That said, however, one must wonder how much has been left unsaid.

It is interesting to note that the changes mentioned deal with both the crankshaft and camshaft. There has been a lot of discussion about these two being weak points of the GT 9A1 engines. Maybe these changes in fact confirm that those are real weaknesses and not just unfortunate issues.

A good article on the car itself starts on page 88 of the issue.

Daytona is close. I guess we will hear more soon.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Its on the coffee table but haven't read it yet, will do tonight
Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Having a chance recently to examine an E series GT3 engine during strip down for cam shaft and rocker finger renewal I can confirm first hand the issue is not the camshaft nor the crankshaft in these engines (not yet heard of any weaknesses with the crankshaft) but indeed the oiling to the far end of the block (Cylinder 6). The DLC coating on the finger rockers appears to show accelerated wear on the inlet side (more so than exhaust side). The new G series GT3 engine is based on the GT3RS engine with a different oil filter, larger filter neck and updated oil pump and software flash which increases mid range oil pressure. One assumes the damage to the finger rockers is occurring at high rpm (8000+) however that is at the moment only a guess. Once the DLC coating has worn through on the lower foot of the finger lifter the cam lobe starts to score. The ECU identifies the timing issue created by the fine change in tolerances on the affected bank and throws a check engine code.

From the limited access I have to second hand information from the Porsche Motorsports team running the 9A1 program it would seem that they also experiences far bank lubrication challenges in making the engine durable.

The camshafts will change profile for the 9A1 MA race engine to suit where the power is best made. The same applies with displacement changes etc (i.e. 3.8 to 4.0). The camshafts are not t blame. The crankshaft is beefed up to handle the extra power/abuse the 4.0L engine will receive.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting info Macca. Much appreciated. Great insight as to the issue. Has there been any recommendation for the 2014,2015 GT3 E series engine owners? And what happens when one needs replacement? Do they use the new design?

Also.... Any thoughts to the 9500 redline stated in that article for the GT3R? One would think more than 500 hp would be generated if an additional revs are added.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:08 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

So when are they revealing this wingless unicorn?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Having a chance recently to examine an E series GT3 engine during strip down for cam shaft and rocker finger renewal I can confirm first hand the issue is not the camshaft nor the crankshaft in these engines (not yet heard of any weaknesses with the crankshaft) but indeed the oiling to the far end of the block (Cylinder 6). The DLC coating on the finger rockers appears to show accelerated wear on the inlet side (more so than exhaust side). The new G series GT3 engine is based on the GT3RS engine with a different oil filter, larger filter neck and updated oil pump and software flash which increases mid range oil pressure. One assumes the damage to the finger rockers is occurring at high rpm (8000+) however that is at the moment only a guess. Once the DLC coating has worn through on the lower foot of the finger lifter the cam lobe starts to score. The ECU identifies the timing issue created by the fine change in tolerances on the affected bank and throws a check engine code.

From the limited access I have to second hand information from the Porsche Motorsports team running the 9A1 program it would seem that they also experiences far bank lubrication challenges in making the engine durable.

The camshafts will change profile for the 9A1 MA race engine to suit where the power is best made. The same applies with displacement changes etc (i.e. 3.8 to 4.0). The camshafts are not t blame. The crankshaft is beefed up to handle the extra power/abuse the 4.0L engine will receive.
Thank you Mark. Is it your belief that the software flash you had done which increased your oil pressure in any way addresses this issue or would the other changes you mentioned (oil filter, oil pump, etc) be required to make a difference in a "normal" 9A1 GT3 engine?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Tanks Macca, great insight. Any idea why the diamondlike carbon coating is wearing off? I guess the idea of the coating is precisely to prevent that. Is the oiling that bad? Is it possible that as mileage accumulates over time, maybe not just high RPM, that those not tracking will face the same or similar issues?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Any thoughts to the 9500 redline stated in that article for the GT3R? One would think more than 500 hp would be generated if an additional revs are added.
Maybe there is an intake restriction required by the race class...
Old 01-18-2016, 04:48 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Is it your belief that the software flash you had done which increased your oil pressure in any way addresses this issue or would the other changes you mentioned (oil filter, oil pump, etc) be required to make a difference in a "normal" 9A1 GT3 engine?
Interestingly, when I took my MY16 RS for the service update, they changed the plugs and flashed the ECU but did not change the oil filter. However, a few weeks later, before putting her to sleep for the winter months, I took her in for a post break-in oil change and it took a week because they needed to order a new type of oil filter, something they didn't have in stock.

It might be speculation but it sounds like they have changed something because they would have had the standard (old?) GT3 filters. They did anyway when I changed the oil in the 3.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:48 PM
City
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had the Oil optimisation ECU update done on my late 15 F build car.

Do you think Porsche will allow us to upgrade these components to match that of the G engines: "The new G series GT3 engine is based on the GT3RS engine with a different oil filter, larger filter neck and updated oil pump and software flash which increases mid range oil pressure. "
Old 01-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Martin, this is the GT3R not the 911R.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

This seems to be the racecar GT3R, not the roadcar 991 R.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:30 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Martin, this is the GT3R not the 911R.
Opps....sorry about that, gets so confusing.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:48 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Great info
Old 01-18-2016, 05:58 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

OT: 911R is supposed to be launched at Geneva 2016.

Quick Reply: Some details on 9A1 engine in GT3R