Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to charge dead battery with ctek 3300 through cig. lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:55 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Possible to charge dead battery with ctek 3300 through cig. lighter?

Hey guys, quick question. My battery is dead, is it possible to bring it back to life with my ctek via the cig. lighter? I've tried plugging into both the passenger footwell and the one in the console box and neither one lights any of the battery lights (on the ctek) when I push the button to "car" mode. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 09-28-2015, 01:38 PM
jlanka
Drifting

actually the problem might be the ctek. I'm getting no voltage on any of the settings - motorcycle/car/snowflake. Should I be getting any voltage without it being connected to anything on the DC end (AC power is connected and I am getting lights on each of the settings)

Jeff
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I have. I left it charging for a few days and then started it right up
Old 09-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 81 Posts

Jeff, although the mode lights are active without the charger being connected to the battery, the battery status lights aren't so I'm going to suggest that there is no output from the charger unless it's hooked up. I tried hooking a multi-meter to mine and got no readings.

The 12v sockets in the car are timer controlled by the car's electronics so I wonder if the fact that your battery and electrical system are dead might be causing a problem. If possible, I'd try connecting directly to the battery to verify that your CTEK is working properly.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:15 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Jeff, although the mode lights are active without the charger being connected to the battery, the battery status lights aren't so I'm going to suggest that there is no output from the charger unless it's hooked up. I tried hooking a multi-meter to mine and got no readings.

The 12v sockets in the car are timer controlled by the car's electronics so I wonder if the fact that your battery and electrical system are dead might be causing a problem. If possible, I'd try connecting directly to the battery to verify that your CTEK is working properly.
Good advice Mike and what I thought... Now I have to go read the manual on how to open the frunk with a dead battery...

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember there is a place in the fuse box where one can connect a standard clip on positive lead then clip the negative to door hook.... This should allow you to jump and get it stated or access to battery via the front hood.

Check manual as I am referring to another Porsche model but would probably be similar.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 81 Posts

Jeff, Sloopy is right about the location and procedure although you will apparently need a separate 12v donor battery to make it all work. In case you haven't looked yet the procedure is described starting on page 205 of the owner's manual. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:21 PM
jlanka
Drifting

I managed to get the frunk open (used a normal charger instead of a donor battery). I'm charging right now with the normal charger, will test the ctek once that is done and report back here. Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Been through this a few weeks ago. You will need a normal charger to charge the battery if you want to get the job done within 36 hrs. If you battery is absolutely dead you may need a second battery to join in parrallel to false the charger into recognizing there is even a cell connected to the other end and let the two run together for an hour or two to hot start the charging process and get some amps into the dead cell. Once the battery is fully charged I would connect the ctek and use the recon function on snow flake mode and give it 24-36 hours to work through that. I had to have mine recon to get a god test result on the dealers advanced battery tester. Was a pucker up moment there as the cost of a replacement one of these batteries makes your eyes water! I believe the lead to my Ctek was at fault and the battery ended up draining fast. Hope that helps.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:47 PM
jlanka
Drifting

OK just to follow up on this as promised, once the battery was charged the ctek worked properly through the cig lighter in the passenger footwell.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:45 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Since your battery was THAT dead, be on the lookout for "sulfation" type degradation of the battery's ability to take a full charge. Typically, if the battery was zero-volts dead, bad things have happened to it and if I were you I wouldn't trust it much anymore.

Keep an eye on it.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
Since your battery was THAT dead, be on the lookout for "sulfation" type degradation of the battery's ability to take a full charge. Typically, if the battery was zero-volts dead, bad things have happened to it and if I were you I wouldn't trust it much anymore. Keep an eye on it.
+1
If you've " killed " one cell out of the six 2.1V cells found in the battery,it will never be the same again.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 PM
jlanka
Drifting

A week of vampire?

Quick Reply: Possible to charge dead battery with ctek 3300 through cig. lighter?