Sponsored by:

Trading the Dream Car for the Dream House...Temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:13 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

If you need to sell your GT3 to buy a $820k house maybe its time to get a financial adviser and set your priorities to a more appropriate level, like not buying $130k cars and adding more $$ to them in mods. House APR's are so low you must be reaching to spend $820K on a house, kinda like your current car situation....just saying....
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Trading the Dream Car for the Dream House...Temporarily

Here comes the real douchebaggery.
Matt,I'm sorry I've asked... Next time I'll send you a PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:21 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

820 for that!! thats it, i am leaving california
Old 09-18-2015, 06:21 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

btw congrats. that house looks awesome
Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 455 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGSRULE
If you need to sell your GT3 to buy a $820k house maybe its time to get a financial adviser and set your priorities to a more appropriate level, like not buying $130k cars and adding more $$ to them in mods. House APR's are so low you must be reaching to spend $820K on a house, kinda like your current car situation....just saying....
Pay attention - Matt is a financial adviser and if you read what he wrote he said he just isn't comfortable having both, not that he can't. And not for nothing - your post is unnecessary, just sayin...
Old 09-18-2015, 07:55 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

You should come to CA. So all the mid 20 to mid 30 guys driving $200+ Lambo's and Ferrari's to their apartment complexes is not a good thing?

BTW I am sure Matt is just fine. Maybe you ought to even think about hiring him and that is what he does for a living.

I am confident he probably won't even take a bite of your bait.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
Family first

Congrats on the house!

5.5 acres = I see a riding mower in your future
Ha, ha... The first thing I looked into was how much full service landscaping maintenance would cost.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:26 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes
Even in our little cowtown 1/8th acre scrapes are close to that price.

Money, Yellen just helped you out a bit, keep the 3!
Let's hope I get my current house sold to finish the deal.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Looks like an awesome place Matt - congrats. Although I'm used to Norcal and Socal prices I lived in Ms for a few years and that still seems like a great price for the South.
I'm guessing that's a net over the pool/outdoor area rather than glass?
Central FL is bug crazy, so most pools are screened in.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Dear lord... I don't even want to tell you what a house like this would sell for here.

How humid is it in Florida, again?
It's just a tad steamy.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwar99
Pay attention - Matt is a financial adviser and if you read what he wrote he said he just isn't comfortable having both, not that he can't. And not for nothing - your post is unnecessary, just sayin...
^agree 1,000%!!

I have great respect for the decision (not an easy one, I'm sure) Matt made here.

Good luck Matt!! We all know it's not a matter of "if" you'll be back...

You've been one of the most productive contributors to this forum and I've always admired the hours and hours of time and dedication you put into your "How To" videos and numerous test drives you did - for all of US!!

Thank you!!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Someone is buying the cleanest gt3 in the world, GLWS.

What I don't understand is how in today's economy houses are still going for what seems less than actual construction cost for a beauty like that, let alone the land!!!!

I can't imagine leaving NorCal, and SF in paricular, but occasionally I look at my $5k+/month rent and tax bracket, the fact that buying the house I would need for a single room for potential kids to sleep in, let alone a nice flat garage entry ;-).... Is a $4-5 mil proposition and maybe $50k/year in property taxes???

I don't know, maybe some day I'll have to leave NorCal and its mountains, nature, people and weather because living where you're living Matt, strangely is starting to make some sense to me.

Ok, back to my little lurker hole.
Thanks man! I think its super interesting to compare and learn about other parts of the country. We are super fortunate to get so much for little in comparison to many parts of the country. But the disadvantage is that I feel like we are out here on an island by ourselves. There aren't many like minded people where I live.

Originally Posted by STG991
Good luck Matt.

House prices and interest rates are the lowest you'll see for a very long time. Better to get in and upgrade now. Cars will always be around and as we all know, not an appreciating asset.

They'll always be around, and when the sh*t hits the fan with the economy, you'll be able to pick up cars on the cheap and home interest rates will be north of 6%+. All speculation of course, but this post will be around forever and we can look back at it later

This post has also brought up an interesting conversation with living costs around the country. Not sure if you've minded it (probably a better place for it), but there's some good back/forth chat to be had about it. This is even more important for younger guys with families trying to build wealth. Also for older ones with wealth and trying to retire and live off of savings/investments.

You've said you're a financial planner, so you probably know more than I do

BTW, there are worse places to be than FL guys.

CA and the East Coast?? $$$$ pits. Regardless, be where you can make the most money at the end of the day.

Good luck!
Thanks man! I'm 35, so I have plenty of time to get another GT3. I'm already preparing my wife the an RS.

Originally Posted by 911searcher
Beautiful house !

Updated with your projected new car.
Ha, ha... I have to finish the garage first.

Originally Posted by Ceepe
This thread got pretty doucheoff. We can't help but compare what a comparable property costs in our own areas?
I think this stuff is super interesting. I get that money can be super private, but the cost of a home is public record. At least that's they way I look at it.

Originally Posted by Brandon_
Matt, congrats again!

Whats the story with the garage door in front with the shrub bed in front of it?
It's an interesting set-up. The building on the left would obviously normally be a garage. The people that own it made it 2/3 man cave 1/3 storage. I the idea of it. I'm going to make the 2/3 man cave into a dedicated home theater. That way I don't need to worry about kids being asleep. The other part will be where put all of the kid's crap that I don't want in my garage!

Originally Posted by ZZinger
Great looking house Matt! Keep the car is possible, you will miss it too much.
I'll be back! Maybe the car won't sell.

Originally Posted by hfm
It's not douchebaggery. It's commiseration.
I agree.

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
Thanks Matt for all of your help, information, tenacity and OCD. I have related and enjoyed all the way! Keep lurking I know you will be back. Once the Porsche "bug" is in your system your bitten for life. The house is a great move (though I suspect the projected garage size needs to be revisited-you can never have a big enough garage) -I speak from experience. I expect to see ATV and home tractor maintenance videos soon??
Ha, ha... Not from this guy. I just get to make videos of me shopping for a new GT3 and building a new garage. This is going to be fun. I just don't want to change our lifestyle or adjust my savings/financial plan. It won't be long.

Originally Posted by Burren
Awesome looking house. That garage project sounds like a lot of fun. But, keep in mind; there's no need for a great garage, if there isn't a great car to go in it =)
That's what I've been telling my wife. She is just happy that we will have the garage on property next to the house rather than me going 20 minutes down the road to a storage faciility.

Originally Posted by calpolo17
Again, why not sell the M3? Is it just the additional practicality?
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I believe Matt has children. The functionality of having back seats and four doors is real.
Originally Posted by jlanka
I doubt he would get enough cash from the M3 sale
Yeah, I have two kids and would never be able to let my wife drive my GT3 if we needed to trade responsibilities for a day. It's just how I'm wired.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Here comes the real douchebaggery.
Matt,I'm sorry I've asked... Next time I'll send you a PM.
Originally Posted by mwar99
Originally Posted by goin2drt
You should come to CA. So all the mid 20 to mid 30 guys driving $200+ Lambo's and Ferrari's to their apartment complexes is not a good thing?

BTW I am sure Matt is just fine. Maybe you ought to even think about hiring him and that is what he does for a living.

I am confident he probably won't even take a bite of your bait.
I'm trying to approach with as little emotion as possible. In full disclosure, we love our current home, but we already own the largest home in the neighborhood. We have a 1,500 sq. ft. unfinished basement that I will spend $150,000 to finish. Then I would want to build a garage addition that will cost the same. I would be massive overbuilt. I've been driving and lurking in the new neighborhood where we are buying for about ten years. This is the one house that I thought would never sell. We actually know the people that own it. I was two years away from either upgrading my house or buying something like the new one. Luck would have it, our crush home has gone up for sale, and I'm going make the investment. This is just poor timing in my strategy but am willing to sacrifice the GT3. It would cost about $1.5M to buy the land and build this home.

This will be temporary, but everything about this house is going to cost double what my current one does: Mortgage, Taxes, Insurance, Electricity, Maintenance, etc. I've run the numbers 50 different ways, and it just doesn't make sense to alter my savings rate, college funding, or general lifestyle just to keep the GT3. Instead, I'm going to make the sacrifice to stay on plan.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:12 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gorgeous house. Good decision. You'll be back once the dust settles.

Enjoy the house. It makes me want to move out of PA. As you know...while the prices are not San Fran or Manhattan... It sure is costly.

Best of luck Matt.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:14 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"Thanks man! I'm 35, so I have plenty of time to get another GT3. I'm already preparing my wife the an RS."

Ahhhhhhhhh, the motives become more clear...nice move.

Quick Reply: Trading the Dream Car for the Dream House...Temporarily