Sponsored by:

EVO leaderboards: 991GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
No hot weather in Europe. You'll have to stuff your RS with cases of Heineken to substitute additional load......
These first 20 days don't count. Don't know tracks and cool weather...
I may make it on 2 sets of tires and pads but have 3 just to be sure.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Skeptikal12
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Jethro is a top journalist and was glad to see him get this review.

Versus the Speciale, it is a win for the GT3RS. Punching above its weight class in terms of power and price, and doing so without the extra tires and support that the Ferrari received.

Having said that, the Turbo S came out better than either in my opinion. Equivalent tires and you are probably seeing the Turbo set an even faster lap time. Its heavier, doesn't have the ultra responsive PDK, and perhaps misses some of the feel and a ton of the sound of the GT3RS, but against the clock it is a force.

Im sure the lighter RS would last longer on the track and the wear on components would be less, however the Turbo S isn't made of glass either. With the speed, you also get all the comfort features you could wish for, back seats, all weather performance, and a weapon on the track when you do take it there.

Ultimately, the RS will hold its value better and will be the one that gets talked about more. But for those who missed out, a Turbo S after the depreciation sets in, will be a massive performance bargain in the Porsche lineup.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:43 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jethro talking about the Turbo S's lap time if you remember: "The lap is 6 tenths quicker than a 458 speciale, 3 seconds quicker than a '15 GTR, and I suspect out of reach for a GT3, or even a GT3RS.."

So I guess it did much better than he expected..?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:51 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Ultimately, the RS will hold its value better and will be the one that gets talked about more. But for those who missed out, a Turbo S after the depreciation sets in, will be a massive performance bargain in the Porsche lineup"

^^ agree. power is at another level. I am really on the fence if offered an RS (have a slight chance for a used one in March). I really like my GT3 and its config. kinda hoping the RS never comes around because I am not sure i would like it that much more. And has to be Purple!
Old 09-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Dante
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Damn that car is quick. I don't think people realize just how fast a Turbo-S is in a straight line. For the RS to make up that difference in the corners is amazing.

Mad downforce and mechanical grip.
+1
Old 09-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Boost leaks

As someone driving a 996TT, tuned to 650hp and set up for the track, and also moving to a 991 GT3RS this Fall, the one point I would make about the turbos is that because they are materially more complex with their twin turbo boost hoses, intercoolers, etc, they are less reliable. Over time with hard use boost leaks develop and eat into your track time as you hunt them down. The boost systems are inherently fragile and a small air leak in a system with more than fifteen connections can put you into limp mode quickly.

I am sure my 650hp 996tt is faster in a straight line than my stock 991 GT3RS, but I am also confident that the 991 GT3RS will be a much better and much more reliable track car.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:44 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe731
As someone driving a 996TT, tuned to 650hp and set up for the track, and also moving to a 991 GT3RS this Fall, the one point I would make about the turbos is that because they are materially more complex with their twin turbo boost hoses, intercoolers, etc, they are less reliable. Over time with hard use boost leaks develop and eat into your track time as you hunt them down. The boost systems are inherently fragile and a small air leak in a system with more than fifteen connections can put you into limp mode quickly.

I am sure my 650hp 996tt is faster in a straight line than my stock 991 GT3RS, but I am also confident that the 991 GT3RS will be a much better and much more reliable track car.
I agree with Joe731. I have a penchant for Naturally Aspirated (NA) engines. The Twin-Turbo is unbeatable, particularly in a straight line. However reliability and consistency is a factor in winning races. When problems arise, it can be a challenge to get it corrected in timely manner if you are in a race.

To me cars with Turbos or Super Chargers are like athletes on steroids. Whereas the NA engines are "natural" born athletes.

Here is a video to enjoy how the current 991 GT3RS performs at the track.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 09-16-2015, 05:25 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

These test are very much subjective.

How on Earth Turbo S with only 40HP more is 1.6sec faster than a regular Turbo on such a short circuit?

By the way... I'd rather see some proper performance compare than another "talking while drifting".
Old 09-17-2015, 12:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It may have already been mention here but the Speciale was driven by Richard Meaden and the RS by Jethro so nott same driver's either. IMO Jethro is the better natural talent behind the wheel. However Id expect the RS still to win...
Old 09-17-2015, 03:06 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The speciale got technical support as well.. Porsche rarely/never sends a support team..
Old 09-18-2015, 03:36 AM
911_RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a review, but they did a fantastic job shooting the new 991RS

Quick Reply: EVO leaderboards: 991GT3RS